Random Thoughts for May 2019

dll2000

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Brown froze his feet, Dallas doesn’t have its best player and their QB wants more than 30 million a year.  

But and I say again - Bears are having the worst offseason of ANY NFL team.  

You make a good point.  In their evaluation of teams the media seldom seems to consider the disruptions made by key players doing dumb things or holding out asking for new deals that leave you shaking your head.  Dallas seems to go through that a lot and always has.

So glad to above that fray at least for now but I'm certain it won't stay that way forever.

Edited by soulman

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Brown froze his feet, Dallas doesn’t have its best player and their QB wants more than 30 million a year.  

But and I say again - Bears are having the worst offseason of ANY NFL team.  

Well duh they don’t know if they have a kicker. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well duh they don’t know if they have a kicker. 

Does anybody really expect that Fry, Pineiro or whoever is our kicker in 2019 will be worse than 2018 Parkey? Our kicker was 30th in FG conversion percentage last year. There are only 32 teams. It can’t really get much worse. Both Pineiro and Fry, while not showing to this point to be elite kicking prospects, have shown to be professional caliber kickers somewhere yet to be determined on the NFL talent spectrum. Most opinions act like these guys are just some person off the street out there trying to kick in the NFL, and that’s just lazy and uninformed click baity narrative pushing crap. 

Worst case scenario IMO is that our kicking situation is a push from 2018. The most likely scenario is at least a moderate improvement overall. When you’re already starting from the bottom of the hill there’s really only one way to go. 

Logic though... 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does anybody really expect that Fry, Pineiro or whoever is our kicker in 2019 will be worse than 2018 Parkey? Our kicker was 30th in FG conversion percentage last year. There are only 32 teams. It can’t really get much worse. Both Pineiro and Fry, while not showing to this point to be elite kicking prospects, have shown to be professional caliber kickers somewhere yet to be determined on the NFL talent spectrum. Most opinions act like these guys are just some person off the street out there trying to kick in the NFL, and that’s just lazy and uninformed click baity narrative pushing crap. 

Worst case scenario IMO is that our kicking situation is a push from 2018. The most likely scenario is at least a moderate improvement overall. When you’re already starting from the bottom of the hill there’s really only one way to go. 

Logic though... 🤦‍♂️

Pretty sure he was being facetious

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He was. My question was more for everyone even though I quoted his post. 

People follow the media and the media is full of idiots.

Media collectively says kicker situation is dire so everyone lives and dies with every kick.

We were 76% last year.  I think either Pinerio or Fry can easily kick better than 76% so I am not worried about it.  

I also think all the talk about it is making them worse than they would normally be because of undue pressure that would effect anyone.  But what can you do?  It's the story line and people repeat story lines.  Bears D will regress because Fangio is gone.  No one can repeat that turnover rate.  Rinse lather repeat.

I would take Pinerio and say unless you miss 3 kicks in a game or fall under 80% through 5 games you are our guy.  Be you.   Don't worry about missing one.  You miss just make the next one.   Take some pressure off.   Like having a Qb constantly looking over his shoulder.  It never works out.  

• Like 3

I am nervous about first game in a way I wasn't last year.

Last year we were 8 or 9 pt. dogs.  Highest in NFL for week 1.  Nobody expected a win, they hoped for surprise upset which we would have had if Roquan Smith/Bears don't have a contract dispute and Shaheen and Floyd don't get hurt right before season starts. Que sera. 

But reason I am nervous is first games are always weird at all levels.  Just a lot of unpredictability in them.  A lot of mistakes always get made plus wrinkles that get put in as teams have had all summer to add them for game 1. That combined with division rival and upset potential goes way up.

I say upset because I think Bears are better team.  But they are so keyed up for that first game, wheels can fall off a bit if things don't go right.  I have seen it happen a lot.  

I think Bears schedule is so hard that they need to get off to a fast start to build momentum and confidence into meat of schedule.  A win in week one means a lot.  

Glad it is at home. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am nervous about first game in a way I wasn't last year.

Last year we were 8 or 9 pt. dogs.  Highest in NFL for week 1.  Nobody expected a win, they hoped for surprise upset which we would have had if Roquan Smith/Bears don't have a contract dispute and Shaheen and Floyd don't get hurt right before season starts. Que sera. 

But reason I am nervous is first games are always weird at all levels.  Just a lot of unpredictability in them.  A lot of mistakes always get made plus wrinkles that get put in as teams have had all summer to add them for game 1. That combined with division rival and upset potential goes way up.

I say upset because I think Bears are better team.  But they are so keyed up for that first game, wheels can fall off a bit if things don't go right.  I have seen it happen a lot.  

I think Bears schedule is so hard that they need to get off to a fast start to build momentum and confidence into meat of schedule.  A win in week one means a lot.  

Glad it is at home. 

Gotta feeling TV controls scheduling far too much.

I'm not in favor of inter-division games as openers.  IMHO those games should come in October and December.

Funny that a lot of same people saying Mariota can still be good are same ones saying MT has no chance.  

Not getting the logic there other than I predicted Mariota would be great and I predicted MT would be a bum and I have to back my predictions to bitter end. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Not getting the logic there other than I predicted Mariota would be great and I predicted MT would be a bum and I have to back my predictions to bitter end. 

So much of it is this IMO. People want to be right about these kinds of things, but especially the big ones. Mitch and Mariota both certainly qualify as big ones.

The barometer for what constitutes success is undefined and subjective though, so even if a player “succeeds” there will be those who say otherwise. Example - if Mitch goes for 4300/32/10 this year and the Bears go 12-4 but Mahomes goes for 4800/40/10 then Mitch is a “miss” in the eyes of many because Mahomes was taken later and had better stats, and that’s absurd, because on its own merit Mitch’s season would be a great one (top 10 across the board with that stat line) and one that fully justifies his lofty draft position and probably a huge 9-figure contract. Even wins are open to interpretation. The point has been raised a few times over the past few weeks that the national perception of Mitch would arguably be different had Parkey not missed the GW FG. The argument for it is a completely valid one, with Mitch going for 200 yards in the 2nd half and leading what should have been 3 4th quarter scoring drives including the GW drive to FG range in the last minute. The kick is not even within his control. KC’s playoff game against NE really played out similarly for Mahomes, in that the KC offense did nearly nothing for 3 quarters (were down 17-7 with 4 minutes left in Q3) before going off in the 4th quarter and ultimately losing for reasons that had nothing to do with Mahomes (specifically the Dee Ford offsides negating the Brady turnover and KC never getting the ball in OT), yet the two performances are viewed night and day differently, logic be damned. 

If you like Mitch you’ll back Mitch and if you don’t then you’ll find reasons to conclude as such. Same can be said for and done to any player. Mahomes was incredible in 2018 overall statistically, but he was only 4-5 against teams finishing the season over .500, and in the 7 game stretch from week 5-11 Mahomes threw 9 INT. Conversely, over that same 7 game stretch the Chiefs were 5-2 and Mahomes threw 23 TD. 🤷‍♂️ 

Most people see what they want to see and conclude that which they want to conclude regardless of what actually happens, which makes debating it at all a fool’s errand. Alas, here we are. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1