Jets fire Mike Maccagnan.

MikeT14

5 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yup. He said the same thing when he was hired and look how that turned out. With that said, the GM should be getting the HC’s opininion. If Macc ignored Gase that’s no bueno. 

I don’t believe what Gase says though. He also said he had no idea Macc was getting let go. And that he and Macc had a good working relationship. Both are clearly lies. 

I mean we can only speculate. There are reports/rumors that CJ had second thoughts long before Gase was hired and the firing of Heimendinger is also curious to me. I’m sure Gase voiced his frustration about being blocked out of personnel moves and honestly it was never going to work if Macc did that. 

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I mean we can only speculate. There are reports/rumors that CJ had second thoughts long before Gase was hired and the firing of Heimendinger is also curious to me. I’m sure Gase voiced his frustration about being blocked out of personnel moves and honestly it was never going to work if Macc did that. 

Definitely agree that it was never going to work if Macc wasn’t getting the HC’s opinion. That’s rediculous on Macc’s part. And Gase had every right to be upset. But he got up in front of reporters and acted as though he and Macc were fine. CJ said the same thing. The Jets as a whole lie. It’s been pretty consistent over the years. So I take what Gase says and what CJ says with a grain of salt. 

12 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Definitely agree that it was never going to work if Macc wasn’t getting the HC’s opinion. That’s rediculous on Macc’s part. And Gase had every right to be upset. But he got up in front of reporters and acted as though he and Macc were fine. CJ said the same thing. The Jets as a whole lie. It’s been pretty consistent over the years. So I take what Gase says and what CJ says with a grain of salt. 

Nova, you know he couldn’t go up there and say that things were bad between he and Macc. Heck he did say they have disagreements and things they have to work through.

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Nova, you know he couldn’t go up there and say that things were bad between he and Macc. Heck he did say they have disagreements and things they have to work through.

Yea. That’s true. It just wouldn’t surprise me if he has a blowup with the new GM at some point.

With that said. So far so good. Lee for a 6th is fine. Cutting Leggett, who has a reputation of being lazy, is good also. That stuff can be contagious. 

20 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Yea. That’s true. It just wouldn’t surprise me if he has a blowup with the new GM at some point.

With that said. So far so good. Lee for a 6th is fine. Cutting Leggett, who has a reputation of being lazy, is good also. That stuff can be contagious. 

If him and the new GM are on the same page and something happens then yeah that’s a huge issue.

No matter how you slice it, this still isn't a great situation for the Jets. Unlike Miami Gase, who was pretty much average, I feel New York Gase will be a superstar or colossal failure - which is why I'd rather see the Jets create a power structure that Gase will get behind and feel comfortable in. No matter what Gase says to the media, he's already won the power battle. The second they hire a GM, Gase will be his boss- officially or unofficially. The one way to avoid that? Change the reporting mechanism. 

In my opinion, the best possible outcome would be hiring Peyton Manning to be the "Executive Vice President of Football Operations", with Joe Douglas hired to be the GM - with both the HC and GM independently reporting to Peyton instead of Chris. Peyton, then, would be the sole figure reporting to ownership. 

Hiring Peyton is a move that - in my opinion - would bring credibility back to the franchise. It also would bring stability, as many fear that Woody can take the team back over in 2 years and throw a wrench into everything. Peyton is the kind of name that Woody would be on board with, and he'd likely demand a contract length of at least 5 years, shielding him and his staff from such a situation. Also, he'd be the perfect intermediary between Gase and Douglas. Manning isn't the type to play favorites; he's smart, detailed, and ultimately will break the tie in the favor of what he thinks and feels is the best path to help the team win. Not to mention, Peyton the Exec would be such a valuable resource for Darnold; some may understate it and point to how Peyton never "successfully" helped a young QB develop on his watch, but Peyton the player had no interest in coaching up an understudy the way he would as an executive; if Darnold's successful, Peyton's successful. It feels like a pipe-dream, but I'm holding out hope this will be what happens. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

No matter how you slice it, this still isn't a great situation for the Jets. Unlike Miami Gase, who was pretty much average, I feel New York Gase will be a superstar or colossal failure - which is why I'd rather see the Jets create a power structure that Gase will get behind and feel comfortable in. No matter what Gase says to the media, he's already won the power battle. The second they hire a GM, Gase will be his boss- officially or unofficially. The one way to avoid that? Change the reporting mechanism. 

In my opinion, the best possible outcome would be hiring Peyton Manning to be the "Executive Vice President of Football Operations", with Joe Douglas hired to be the GM - with both the HC and GM independently reporting to Peyton instead of Chris. Peyton, then, would be the sole figure reporting to ownership. 

Hiring Peyton is a move that - in my opinion - would bring credibility back to the franchise. It also would bring stability, as many fear that Woody can take the team back over in 2 years and throw a wrench into everything. Peyton is the kind of name that Woody would be on board with, and he'd likely demand a contract length of at least 5 years, shielding him and his staff from such a situation. Also, he'd be the perfect intermediary between Gase and Douglas. Manning isn't the type to play favorites; he's smart, detailed, and ultimately will break the tie in the favor of what he thinks and feels is the best path to help the team win. Not to mention, Peyton the Exec would be such a valuable resource for Darnold; some may understate it and point to how Peyton never "successfully" helped a young QB develop on his watch, but Peyton the player had no interest in coaching up an understudy the way he would as an executive; if Darnold's successful, Peyton's successful. It feels like a pipe-dream, but I'm holding out hope this will be what happens. 

I like that idea a lot.  Whether Manning or someone else that is a structure that is much better then the current. 

From Breer's article

3. That said, if Eagles VP Joe Douglas is willing to come, and I’m the Jets, I offer him the job tomorrow. And not only because he’s really good, but also because he’s so connected, and could, in time, build the kind of robust staff that Chris Ballard has in Indianapolis (well-regarded Philly scouting directors Ian Cunningham and Andy Weidl followed Douglas there from Baltimore). If it’s not Douglas? Four names that should be brought up in any GM search (in alphabetical order): Tennessee’s Ryan Cowden, Indy’s Ed Dodds, Dallas’s Will McClay and Minnesota’s George Paton. Three of the four have been in the mix for a bunch of jobs the last couple years and the fourth, Dodds (who used to be Seattle GM John Schneider’s secret weapon), might be the fastest rising star in the scouting world.

12 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

My biggest problem with Peyton is that he has never had a front office job nor a coaching position.  Typically this does not work out for the professional sports franchise (Elway, Micheal Jordan, Magic Johnson are names off the top of my head).  The only way to prevent more of this **** show is to hire a good, confidant, strong GM with a willingness to work with the coaching staff and have the HC report to him.  We should NOT hire a GM just to appease Gase.  That has disaster written all over it.

• Like 1

I wonder if Mac could see the writing on the wall? Rather than trading back to give the future GM some ammo he stayed at 3 and took the safest pick which will help his legacy of first round draft picks for potential future work.