Jets fire Mike Maccagnan.

MikeT14

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

If Macc was gonna be fired in January 2020 then what’s so wrong with doing it now(obviously he should have been fired months if not years ago)

The one thing I’m glad CJ is doing now is not bringing in a firm or a consultant. Both of those things set us back many, many years. 

He should have been gone with Bowles.  You don't allow a guy you have zero trust in to spend 100M+ in FA just to fire him.  It's total and complete incompetence at it's finest.  It's amazing Johnson and Johnson hasn't burned to the ground at this point with the way they run the Jets.

If they were smart they would step aside and hire someone highly sought after like George Patton, Douglas, or whoever to be President of Football and/or GM operations and step aside.  This team needs a leader not named Johnson.  Give one man control of the team and let him hire his coach and build the team but no instead they let a lame duck GM spend 100M+ then fire him for a mediocre HC.  Now the HC will probably retool the team for what he wants only to set the team back yet again.  

This team needs structure in the worst way and until this ship has a rudder we are lost at seas.  Once we have a smart football person running the show without interference we'll be better for it until then this is why we suck year after year.

Edited by Rockice_8

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

He should have been gone with Bowles.  You don't allow a guy you have zero trust in to spend 100M+ in FA just to fire him.  It's total and complete incompetence at it's finest.  It's amazing Johnson and Johnson hasn't burned to the ground at this point with the way they run the Jets.

If they were smart they would step aside and hire someone highly sought after like George Patton, Douglas, or whoever to be President of Football and/or GM operations and step aside.  This team needs a leader not named Johnson.  Give one man control of the team and let him hire his coach and build the team but no instead they let a lame duck GM spend 100M+ then fire him for a mediocre HC.  Now the HC will probably retool the team for what he wants only to set the team back yet again.  

This team needs structure in the worst way and until this ship has a rudder we are lost at seas.  Once we have a smart football person running the show without interference we'll be better for it until then this is why we suck year after year.

About the whole step aside the thing. Did either Johnson ever step in and influence a roster decision? 

As for him being fired, again reports, state CJ was already having reservations about Macc and remember he has issues with his #2 as well in Heimendinger, which is telling. 

Gase and the new GM have to tool this roster to their vision. Give Williams what he needs on D, Boyer some players for ST and obviously the offense Gase needs(both Gase and Douglas seemingly understand the important of a physical OL)

Listen I was pounding the table to fire Macc so I agree with you. But what’s done is done and we’re moving forward. 

52 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

About the whole step aside the thing. Did either Johnson ever step in and influence a roster decision? 

As for him being fired, again reports, state CJ was already having reservations about Macc and remember he has issues with his #2 as well in Heimendinger, which is telling. 

Gase and the new GM have to tool this roster to their vision. Give Williams what he needs on D, Boyer some players for ST and obviously the offense Gase needs(both Gase and Douglas seemingly understand the important of a physical OL)

Listen I was pounding the table to fire Macc so I agree with you. But what’s done is done and we’re moving forward. 

Yes.  Woody was behind the Revis trade Izdik made.  He then, irnonically, was pushing hard for Macc to sign Revis in 2015.  If you believe reports Bell's signing was at the behest of CJ. 

They are not Steinbrenner meddling but they have influenced roster decisions/signings. 

I know that CJ has spent a lot of time at the NFL headquarters the past few years (a friend of mine knows someone in the office high up that communicated this) but I think he and Woody are not dialed into this business frankly.  That is why I really like the idea of getting a Football Czar / President that both the GM and HC report to like was mentioned previously by @jetskid007.  Manning would be a great choice.  You would then have three voices with the President being the breaker if need be or simply getting everyone on the same page.  This would be a key hire if they changed the reporting and operational structure. 

Edited by JetsFan15

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

Yes.  Woody was behind the Revis trade Izdik made.  He then, irnonically, was pushing hard for Macc to sign Revis in 2015.  If you believe reports Bell's signing was at the behest of CJ. 

They are not Steinbrenner meddling but they have influenced roster decisions/signings. 

I know that CJ has spent a lot of time at the NFL headquarters the past few years (a friend of mine knows someone in the office high up that communicated this) but I think he and Woody are not dialed into this business frankly.  That is why I really like the idea of getting a Football Czar / President that both the GM and HC report to like was mentioned previously by @jetskid007.  Manning would be a great choice.  You would then have three voices with the President being the breaker if need be or simply getting everyone on the same page.  This would be a key hire if they changed the reporting and operational structure. 

Okay I remember Woody wanting Revis back and I think he wanted Tebow too. 

As for CJ I only remember him pulling out on Suh because he felt we were being used for leverage. 

You guys don't want the Johnson's to sell the team, if he does James Dolan will probably buy the Jets. He had the second highest bid when the Johnson's bought the team. James Dolan would be the owner of the Jets. Let that sink in for a minute. 

Edited by mattmanz91

4 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Okay I remember Woody wanting Revis back and I think he wanted Tebow too. 

As for CJ I only remember him pulling out on Suh because he felt we were being used for leverage. 

Read an article last week that said the Bell signing was ownership driven. 

Don't you remember all the reports that Woody was fed up with Revis contract demands/drama and order Idzik to trade him?

http://www.espn.co.uk/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8999749/new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson-deal-darrelle-revis-not-him

2 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

You guys don't want the Johnson's to sell the team, if he does James Dolan will probably buy the Jets. He had the second highest bid when the Johnson's bought the team. James Dolan would be the owner of the Jets. Let that sink in for a minute. 

I am fine with them being owners but they need to bring in a great and respected football mind.  Very similar to what Leon Hess did with Bill Parcels.  Speaking of such I wonder how different this franchise would have been if Leon did not pass for a few more years.  Belichek sited the uncertainty of Jets ownership for a reason to bolt. 

I think Woody / CJ will spend money not only on salary but facilities which is equally important.  I just think they are not football people.  Then need to get a real good football mind in the FO to run the ship.  I mean it is a joke we have to go to Ron Wolf and Charliey Casserly to help out on the HC and GM search a few years ago.  Or hiring a high profile recruiting firm like Woody did years ago.  We should have a VP of Football Opps or President of the Team that is more a football guy and connected in the NFL then a business acumen guy.  I am confident Woody and CJ both have high business acumen; I don't think they know football as well though and what it takes to have a solid football organization for top to bottom though.  They need to hire to their weakness.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Read an article last week that said the Bell signing was ownership driven. 

Don't you remember all the reports that Woody was fed up with Revis contract demands/drama and order Idzik to trade him?

http://www.espn.co.uk/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8999749/new-york-jets-owner-woody-johnson-deal-darrelle-revis-not-him

Well Revis kept holding out or threatening to so it was getting ridiculous.

1 minute ago, JetsFan15 said:

I am fine with them being owners but they need to bring in a great and respected football mind.  Very similar to what Leon Hess did with Bill Parcels.  Speaking of such I wonder how different this franchise would have been if Leon did not pass for a few more years.  Belichek sited the uncertainty of Jets ownership for a reason to bolt. 

I think Woody / CJ will spend money not only on salary but facilities which is equally important.  I just think they are not football people.  Then need to get a real good football mind in the FO to run the ship.  I mean it is a joke we have to go to Ron Wolf and Charliey Casserly to help out on the HC and GM search a few years ago.  Or hiring a high profile recruiting firm like Woody did years ago.  We should have a VP of Football Opps or President of the Team that is more a football guy and connected in the NFL then a business acumen guy.  I am confident Woody and CJ both have high business acumen; I don't think they know football as well though and what it takes to have a solid football organization for top to bottom though.  They need to hire to their weakness.

What great and respected football mind is currently available that our owners should be willing to give ultimate power to?