Official 53 Man Roster Discussion / Reveal. (Additions in OP)

Displayname

That time of the year. The nature of business going forward.

I don't think anything is official yet, heard fitz and Davis are most likely gone

Sorry to change things in your thread. Just wanted to make things easier for everyone. Thank you for starting this. I will update OP as needed. Thank you again!

-sc29

Here is a list of the RELEASED players.

The Steelers have released the following players (in alphabetical order):

wide receiver Demarcus Ayers,

center Ruben Carter,

offensive lineman Ethan Cooper,

running back Knile Davis,

cornerback Brandon Dixon,

center Kyle Friend,

linebacker Matt Galambos,

linebacker Austin Gearing,

safety Malik Golden (waived/injured),

cornerback Senquez Golson,

safety Jacob Hagen,

wide receiver Cobi Hamilton,

long snapper Colin Holba,

defensive end Lavon Hooks,

quarterback Bart Houston,

linebacker Farrington Huguenin,

tight end David Johnson,

linebacker Steven Johnson,

defensive end Francis Kallon,

linebacker Keith Kelsey,

defensive end Johnny Maxey,

tight end Jake McGee,

offensive tackle Brian Mihalik,

offensive lineman Keavon Milton,

cornerback Dashaun Phillips,

defensive tackle Roy Philon,

offensive tackle Jake Rodgers,

cornerback JaCorey Shepherd,

wide receiver Justin Thomas,

running back Fitzgerald Touissant,

wide receiver Marcus Tucker,

safety Terrish Webb,

running back Trey Williams.

Credit - http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Steelers-trim-roster-to-53/1611796e-088e-41cb-97f4-8a08469496f1

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL ROSTER

http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-the-53-man-roster/68ebe81d-af3c-4977-bed5-b0eae7c3d00f

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

As they should be.

I think Hunter will be cut.  I think Tomlin was showing him off last night for another team.

Hopefully Cockrell and Golden are cuts.

God I hope not. I actually like the idea of having WR's who can catch!!! :/ AB, Bryant, Rogers, Ju Ju, Coates and I think Hunter outplayed DHB. Yes DHB is good on special teams, but he has very inconsistent hands. Coates can play gunner on ST's.  I would keep Hunter. He has as much potential as Coates  and better hands in my humble opinion.

Agree about Golden kind of disappointing as he should have gotten better each year.  On the fence with Cockrell. I like him much better as a back-up. I think it is time to let Gay go.

51 minutes ago, Displayname said:

I wasn't disappointed in Davis as a return man. I thought he could add something there. I think our return game is cursed without brown

edit: meant to quote nasty

Need to be able to do more than return kicks. Especially if you are only doing it well enough to "not disappoint". 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Glad to see Davis go. I thought he actually looked slow and undecisive in the game where he had all the yards. A more explosive back would've had much more. 

I agree.  He had his moments, but I like what Watson has done.  Certainly more impressive than Davis as a pure RB.  

2 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Need to be able to do more than return kicks. Especially if you are only doing it well enough to "not disappoint". 

Very true. The way draft unwrapped, thought he could of been decent for a third back on the roster and a good asset to the special teams play like DHB. Boy was I wrong. Team needs a decent return man that isn't named brown. 

12 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Maybe keep 6 with Coates, Hunter and Rogers? If not, who you got of the 3 getting cut?

AB, Bryant, JuJu, rogers, Coates I think are locks. Coates gives us a window for a WR needy team option as well. But that wouldn't be steeler like but either was signing Joe. Just keeping optimistic about the situation.

The last spot, Ayers, hunter and DHB. It's actually kinda interesting. Hunter has more upside as a WR but not a contributor on special teams. At least to my knowledge. DHB, solid special teamer but has the lowest upside in terms of WR. Ayers, didn't look like he played much in the preseason? But he adds return man value and decent skills as a 6th with some upside also. 

If it was me, I'd choose hunter. I think the steelers value DHB special teams play more then what the other two have to offer.

edit: misread

if DHB stays, Coates and hunter gone

if not, hunter is gone

Archived