2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

People are going to ask why it took Queen three years to start at LSU.

I think the question is very valid.

Queen and Jacobs Phillips both enrolled as freshman to LSU in ‘17.

In ‘17, the two inside LB spots where filled by (soph) Devin White and a combination of Donnie Alexander(Sr) who was never a real NFL talent and Tyler Taylor(Fr), who was kicked off team before ‘18 for arrests, with Jacob Phillips(fr) and Michael Divinity (soph) getting most back up reps.

In ‘18, Chaisson got hurt after like 3 games so they had (jr) Devin White, (jr) Divinity, and Jacob Phillips (so) at the 3 LB spots with Queen backing up the ILB spots.

in ‘19, Phillips(jr) and Divinity(sr) started season as the 2 ILB’s with Queen(Jr) and Cameron Clark(so) as backups.

so It really is a valid question as to why Queen took to long to get solid playing time.  Phillips is a good player but Divinity was never really anything special.  

• Like 1

Has #1 WR written all over him. 

Supreme catch in traffic, supreme size, 4.4 speed with those long strides, physical, good release. I’d say he needs to work on route running a bit but this has to be my favorite 3rd Round Projected WR in recent memory. 

Edited by BayRaider

31 minutes ago, Geezy said:

They’ve proven they can be good in a rotation but definitely upgradeable. Not out most pressing need, but an impact player would be huge to go along with Salt & Pepper

id like to add a depth piece or even starter level guy but it’s below WR, MLB, OLB, and CB on the needs list.  Unless there’s a great value in the 1st and Brown slips to 12 or Kinkaw to 19 (both very unlikely) then we couldn’t add a guy until the third.  By then R.Davis, J.Madubuike, M.Davison, R.Blacklock should be gone but it’s possible someone in the J.Elliot, N.Gallimore, J.Lynch tier could be there (although they might be gone).

The problem is what do these guys add that’s substantially better than Hurst and Hall bring?  Versus what does a 3rd round WR bring over Doss/Zay Jones or a 3rd round LB bring over the nothing we have at LB.

i just feel like we can probably get a decent veteran relatively cheap in FA and that would bring more year 1 results.  Let Hurst and Hall keep developing and by ‘21 if they’re not up to par we spend a pick on DT by day 2.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

How many WR do you expect to go in the first 100 picks?

This year we’re going to see some guys slip at WR.  There’s so many Different types of WRs and numerous guys at each type.  Its inevitable that a few guys will fall.  I don’t think anyone outside of Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs, and Jefferson are guaranteed to go by the end of round 1.  

That whole tier of Aiyuk, Claypool, Mims, Claypool, Higgins (a sub 4.6 40y will get him guarantee him rd2), Shenault (injury concerns), Pittman, Hamler, G.Davis, Reagor plus outsiders Peoples-Jones, Gandy-Golden, and Bowden..... there’s not one that can’t fall to the 3rd round.  

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

id like to add a depth piece or even starter level guy but it’s below WR, MLB, OLB, and CB on the needs list.  Unless there’s a great value in the 1st and Brown slips to 12 or Kinkaw to 19 (both very unlikely) then we couldn’t add a guy until the third.  By then R.Davis, J.Madubuike, M.Davison, R.Blacklock should be gone but it’s possible someone in the J.Elliot, N.Gallimore, J.Lynch tier could be there (although they might be gone).

The problem is what do these guys add that’s substantially better than Hurst and Hall bring?  Versus what does a 3rd round WR bring over Doss/Zay Jones or a 3rd round LB bring over the nothing we have at LB.

i just feel like we can probably get a decent veteran relatively cheap in FA and that would bring more year 1 results.  Let Hurst and Hall keep developing and by ‘21 if they’re not up to par we spend a pick on DT by day 2.

I’m in for a Maliek Collins type. Good analysis 👍🏽

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I’m in for a Maliek Collins type. Good analysis 👍🏽

That’s the type of guy that I think that we’re best off bringing in to be one of the 4 DTs. 
what do you think he signs for?  I really wouldn’t want to spend that much.  Certainly under 5m.  Hankins gets 5.875m APY and seeing that if Hurst and Hall progress at just a reasonable rate the DT we bring in could even be inactive some weeks.  I just wouldn’t want to spend too much on a guy that might only see minimal reps.  Conversely, we can’t have another Luiget level DT in there.  We need a happy medium.

i think Collins could get outside my budget.  He played like 70% of reps LY.

Edit/Added:  it’s not that I don’t like Collins coming in FA, he might just cost more than we have to spend at the position.

Edited by jimkelly02

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed, Claypool with our 3rd would be nuts, if he doesn’t go in the 2nd. I actually really like Claypools tape, great combine aside. Notre Dame been churning out some solid WRs. I liked Boykin last year as well. I like Claypool even more this year. 

Ruggs, Claypool, Tyrell, Renfrow looks nice. 

Which is why you waited until after the combine to ever mention his name.... convenient. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Which is why you waited until after the combine to ever mention his name.... convenient. 

Didn’t really give him much of a look until after his crazy combine to be honest. He was a projected 5th Rounder so didn’t really dive into him. Don’t have time to look at 200+ prospects. I like what I see on tape quite a bit. 

Here comes the BP angry takes, as usual. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Didn’t really give him much of a look until after his crazy combine to be honest. He was a projected 5th Rounder so didn’t really dive into him. Don’t have time to look at 200+ prospects. I like what I see on tape quite a bit. 

Here comes the BP angry takes, as usual. 

That 100% contradicts what you previously said, but anyway.... carry on. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

That 100% contradicts what you previously said, but anyway.... carry on. 

How does that contradict what I said in any possible, conceivable way? I never said I looked at his tape before the combine. Never even implied. Unless you twist narratives in your mind as well while reading, and not just your replies. 

27 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

How does that contradict what I said in any possible, conceivable way? I never said I looked at his tape before the combine. Never even implied. Unless you twist narratives in your mind as well while reading, and not just your replies. 

So you went a watched his "tape" hours after the combine? Seems legit. 

• Like 1