2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Just now, BayRaider said:

Great Mock NY. Replace Davis with Jordab Elliott or Davon Hamilton and I’m good. Very, very nice draft! I’m starting to have hope Ashtyn could tumble to 80 and I absolutely love that guy. I currently have him slotted from Pick 53 to Pick 64 in the 2nd Round in all of my Mock Drafts. 

Two guys that I really hope we can come away with in the third are Ashtyn Davis and Amik Robertson. Let those guys play behind Randall/Joyner to start the year before replacing them as starters later in the season or in 2021. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We all slam DC for his short passes. This guy can take a slant route, sweep, short passes the distance. CBs play off because they can't keep up. Teams with slower DBs will be tore up by him. I want Ruggs.

You're overrating speed IMO. Plenty of WRs can take it the distance on a short pass. 4.27 speed is rare, but a 4.4 - 4.5 guys can do damage all the same.

LSU's corners didn't play off. They challenged him physically and neutralized him. The thought process that because a guy runs a 4.2 can just blow by an NFL corner is misguided. These guys deal with speed all the time. Most have speed and technique to match it.

I want a guy who can be physical, win contested 50/50 catches. Is a threat in the red zone, etc.

As mentioned here... you want explosive speed, you can get Hamler cheaper and he brings a similar skill set. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Two guys that I really hope we can come away with in the third are Ashtyn Davis and Amik Robertson. Let those guys play behind Randall/Joyner to start the year before replacing them as starters later in the season or in 2021. 

Yep, both those guys need a year to develop, and Randall/Joyner are short-term starters. Unless Randall balls out of his mind. 

If we do double dip:

1) Trade up for Hamler or Claypool in Late 2nd/Early 3rd.

Don’t think either are falling to 80. A lot of people think Claypool is a combine warrior but he’s actually very polished as a big slot guy who can hopefully develop into an outside guy. 

2) Tyler Johnson at Pick 91

Johnson Is a super crafty route runner with insane feet/agility. If this guy had 4.4 speed he’s a Early 2nd Round Pick imo. Didn’t run at the combine though. Probably  a 4.55 - 4.57 type guy. 

3) Michael Pittman Jr. at Pick 80

I have other plans at Pick 80. QB Jalen Hurts, DT Jordan Elliott, DT Davon Hamilton, S Ashtyn Davis, S Terrell Burgess. But if 4 of these 5 are gone, I really like Pittmans value here. And he could be a starter outside. I think Pittman is a better WR than Tyler Johnson, but I like Johnson at 91 as a better value. 

4) Bryan Edwards at Pick 121

Not sure he falls this far but another double dip candidate that a lot of fans really like. Another developmental outside WR. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're overrating speed IMO. Plenty of WRs can take it the distance on a short pass. 4.27 speed is rare, but a 4.4 - 4.5 guys can do damage all the same.

LSU's corners didn't play off. They challenged him physically and neutralized him. The thought process that because a guy runs a 4.2 can just blow by an NFL corner is misguided. These guys deal with speed all the time. Most have speed and technique to match it.

I want a guy who can be physical, win contested 50/50 catches. Is a threat in the red zone, etc.

As mentioned here... you want explosive speed, you can get Hamler cheaper and he brings a similar skill set. 

The problem with Ruggs is that he didn't do a great job on Fulton. He had a few reps where he created decent separation from him, but he's not refined as a WR against press coverage. IF he can break that threshold, there's nothing stopping him from being an extremely dangerous game breaking threat. But it's not easy. You need to be strong enough and have enough varied releases to separate from press and that takes time and may never happen.

You can get him involved with jet sweeps, slants, shallow and deep crossers, screens, etc, but until you really see him take that next step vs press, it's wishful thinking to think he can be a high volume WR1 in the NFL.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's the thing too, when you look at Carr's career, which receiver did he like/trust the most? Michael Crabtree. I could see CeeDee Lamb being a similar type of player with Carr. Crabtree had almost 300 targets in 2 seasons with peak Carr. 

• Like 1

If we did skip WR in the 1st Round, which is absolutely possible, you still have some deadly combinations in this class:

80. Michael Pittman Jr. 

91. Tyler Johnson

or 

80. Michael Pittman Jr. 

121. Bryan Edwards

or

Trade to Late 2nd (like final 3-4 picks)

63. KJ Hamler or Chase Claypool

80. Michael Pittman Jr. 

I’m sure a lot of people would complain if we didn’t go WR in the 1st, but I’m sure Mayock would have a solid plan in place in this deep class. He knows better than us. This isn’t Al Davis in his senile years, where the fans could run the team better. 

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I was also a huge Ruggs at #12 fan. But looking more into the WR class, you can get a guy with a similar skillset in Reagor or Hamler way later in the draft. If we're going WR at #12, Lamb is head and shoulders above the rest. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yep, both those guys need a year to develop, and Randall/Joyner are short-term starters. Unless Randall balls out of his mind. 

Robertson is going to be a hell of a player. If he were 5'11-6'0" he'd be a top 15 pick. Davis also has as much upside as any safety in the class. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I was also a huge Ruggs at #12 fan. But looking more into the WR class, you can get a guy with a similar skillset in Reagor or Hamler way later in the draft. If we're going WR at #12, Lamb is head and shoulders above the rest.

I respect your opinion here and don’t think it’s a bad take at all, I definitely see all the reasons Lamb could be the Top WR in this class in the NFL, and it’s a solid argument. However, many feel the same about Jeudy. His route running, IQ, ability to manipulate defenders, and 4.4 juice could make for a top #1 WR in the NFL. You don’t have to be a physical WR to be a 3rd down monster. Someone with Jeudy’s skillset could be a 3rd down consistent converter. Antonio Brown comes to mind as a 3rd down monster, not that I’m comparing Jeudy/Brown, but Brown isn’t that physical. 

Will be fun to see which of the Top 3 has the best career over the next 4-5 years. Obviously I’m rooting for everyone to succeed. All of debating is just guess work. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I respect your opinion here and don’t think it’s a bad take at all, I definitely see all the reasons Lamb could be the Top WR in this class in the NFL, and it’s a solid argument. However, many feel the same about Jeudy. His route running, IQ, ability to manipulate defenders, and 4.4 juice could make for a top #1 WR in the NFL. You don’t have to be a physical WR to be a 3rd down monster. Someone with Jeudy’s skillset could be a 3rd down monster. Antonio Brown comes to mind as a 3rd down monster, not that I’m comparing Jeudy/Brown, but Brown is that physical. 

Will be fun to see which of the Top 3 has the best career over the next 4-5 years. Obviously I’m rooting for everyone to succeed. All of debating is just guess work. 

I just think with a QB like Carr having a WR that can make contested catches is huge. 

45 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I actually think Robertson is already there development-wise to be a starting NCB (as much as a rooke can be). He has size limitations but guy is ready to play IMO. Love his game.

Davis I agree

• Like 4

Just now, NYRaider said:

I just think with a QB like Carr having a WR that can make contested catches is huge. 

I’m not factoring in QB tendencies when selecting a WR, especially when we have no idea if Carr is the long-term answer. Although I fully understand your point.