2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You are telling me you'd rather draft Tua than trade back to acquire multiple picks let's say trade back 7 to 10ish picks, pick up a 2nd and a 1st next year? 

I take the trade all day long and twice on Sunday. 

Depends what we could get. That package I would trade back. But the idea of landing Tua and not having to trade up is remarkable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

If someone is going to trade up for Tua, it’d be a lot sooner than 12. The trade partners aren’t gonna be as demanding as you think. Doubt a future 1st gets offered at all. Not at Pick 12 anyways. 

If a QB is there that someone is in love with I can see it happening, not likely I agree but not out of the realm of possibility either.

I think the wonderlic is actually a fairly good test.  There’s always outliers with high score people or low score people tho thrive but it’s an indicator of intelligence and wit.... the ability to understand playbooks and complex schemes can be tied to this number.  I wouldn’t require all 35+’s but when it’s sub 15 it raises red flags.  Sometimes dumb athlete types can make it on athleticism alone but having a more intelligent player reduces the risk of busting.  As a slow test taker myself But also having a documented 132 IQ (by the Connecticut Dept. of Corrections lol So I don’t a ton of stock in that number,, its like Reagor’s self-Pro Day 4.22) I THink some players might just read slower but be smart and thus on a short length, timed test they might score lower than they “should”.  Idk why more agents don’t sit these guys down and train them.  On a 50 question test, if you just answer all you can for the first 11:30 of 12 min limit then fill in b’s and c’s you like can’t not get a 15+.  Statistically speaking all b’s or c’s should get you a 12-13 give or take.

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Tell me what about Tua is elite in your opinion?

It’s only a remarkable value to get Tua at 12 if you think your getting a franchise QB.  If you don’t see elite traits that will be a franchise QB then the value is fake.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

If someone is going to trade up for Tua, it’d be a lot sooner than 12. The trade partners aren’t gonna be as demanding as you think. Doubt a future 1st gets offered at all. Not at Pick 12 anyways. 

Yeah, if Tua slips past 7/8 the premium normally associated with trading up for a QB will diminish substantially.  The costs will be more than the normal “draft pick trade charts” say but not substantially.  

i can’t see Tua slipping to 12 too.  To many GMs on bad teams with their jobs in jeopardy next year or so can just buy time by acquiring him.  It’s just self-preservation.  That’ll make GMs adjust their opinions.  

11 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s only a remarkable value to get Tua at 12 if you think your getting a franchise QB.  If you don’t see elite traits that will be a franchise QB then the value is fake.

Exactly.  I've asked what Tua does that makes him a top 3 elite QB prospect....  Crickets

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That makes no sense at all?  You're telling me that you think Tua is a Luck type prospect when healthy and can turn a dumpster fire roster like Miami or Washington into an automatic playoff contender?  I'm not seeing it al all and am not buying the top 3 prospect hype nonsense either.  I have no idea where he goes in the draft as GM's will do crazy things if there is a whiff of talent at the QB position but I will say if he ends up on a bad team with no supporting cast he will most likely prove to be terrible value for where he was selected.

If I thought Tua was a Luck type prospect I'd want to trade up lol.

Who is a better prospect available at 12, that would still be on the clock in a scenario where Tua is also still OTC?

I think Tua if he lands in Miami could make the playoffs. Miami has a lot of draft capital and their division lost Brady. I think Ryan Fitzpatrick could take the Dolphins to the playoffs. Isn't likely but they should be able to land 5 very very good players in this draft which is theorhetically 20% of their starters, and Howard/Jones is a heck of a shut down CB pairing in a division QB'd by longest tenured starter Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Jarrett Stidham. With Diggs as the only real WR threat.

I've only advocated Tua to the Redskins pick as an expensive trade down scenario to rebuild the Redskins. I don't think they should take him unless they got an offer for Haskins returning a mid-late first, basically returning his value (ie. Haskins to Patriots or something similar or to the Dolphins for their third first). I think those options make sense for Washington.

I said at 12. With no trade up involved, I would select Tua over a trade down. A massive offer wouldn't exist otherwise another team would have accepted if at that point. I wouldn't care if he had to wait like Aaron Rodgers did. I'd be fine with starting Carr three more years. I would want Tua though and I think it would be a big mistake not to take him. Three years is Carr playing out his contract and becoming a FA for the first time at 32, and being replaced by Tua who was given a redshirt year for health (Mariota as QB2) then two years to learn Grudens system (where Carr is at right now). Then has a rookie year discount deal to surround with talent, then extend him at 25 years old experienced in the system with a prove it year to set his contract price. That easily would be worth the 12th pick to me.

____
That said I like a similar idea with less investment with Jalen Hurts at 80 if available and Gruden does like him a lot. That's the QB route I go in my mock, however Tua at 12 or Herbert at 19would both be great long term investments imo.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1