Mitch Wants To Remain A Bear, But At What Price?

soulman

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To that end, the ability to spread his extension out cap-wise over 6 years instead of 5 can be a HUGE deal when it comes to keeping the other talent around him,

Which also goes to my point of extending his deal beginning in 2021 to avoid the cap hit a 5th year option would cost.

I'll go out on a limb and say I've seen enough both on and off the field to believe Mitch will be the Bears #1 QB for a very long time.  For once I do believe we finally got this one right.  IMHO his character and basic skill set are better than any Bears QB in my lifetime.

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

How else is he supposed to answer the question?

It was this or some bland, "no comment"

He's a fun guy to root for, I like his attitude, I hope he's good, I think he will be

If he would've said "no comment" the locals would have been in meathead mode xD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If he would've said "no comment" the locals would have been in meathead mode xD

No doubt. The headlines would be ridiculous.

Trubisky - "No comment."

Media - "Trubisky hates Chicago, Jesus, and says Halas was a Nazi."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soulman said:

Which also goes to my point of extending his deal beginning in 2021 to avoid the cap hit a 5th year option would cost.

I'll go out on a limb and say I've seen enough both on and off the field to believe Mitch will be the Bears #1 QB for a very long time.  For once I do believe we finally got this one right.  IMHO his character and basic skill set are better than any Bears QB in my lifetime.

I’m pretty sure that the 5th year option on Mitch’s deal will be slightly more than that from Wentz’s deal, which was just over $20M. That number would be far less than the AAV on any presumptive extension. In Wentz’s deal they kept a comparable number for that option year ($18M). I would think whether we kept the actual  option value for that year or not we’d structure Mitch’s contract similarly. 

• Like 1

They would be stupid to do it this offseason.

After year 4 would be reasonable if team friendly.

The 5th year option won’t be that bad and will be cheaper than any extension they get done.

Tagging him in 2022 might be the most financially prudent depending on where these deals end up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The 5th year option won’t be that bad and will be cheaper than any extension they get done.

Tagging him in 2022 might be the most financially prudent depending on where these deals end up.

Another bit of uncertainty looms with the upcoming CBA negotiations.

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m pretty sure that the 5th year option on Mitch’s deal will be slightly more than that from Wentz’s deal, which was just over $20M. That number would be far less than the AAV on any presumptive extension. In Wentz’s deal they kept a comparable number for that option year ($18M). I would think whether we kept the actual  option value for that year or not we’d structure Mitch’s contract similarly. 

Mitch was also a top ten pick so as with Wentz it will be equal to the amount of a one year Transition Tag in the players 4th contract year so for Mitch that will be the amount of the QB Transition Tag for 2020.  We won't know the precise amount for another year.

With the value of QB contracts rising so rapidly I was projecting a number closer to the AAV of those deal but I admit that so far it was only an educated guess.  Somewhere around $25 mil may be more accurate but still far more than we may want to swallow in 2021.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Windy, I dont think anybody is advocating to get it done this offseason.  We are talking about 2020 at the earliest.  The cap hit on his option is going to be at least $25M and probably closer to $30M.  Franchise tag (if it exists in 2022) is likely to be $35M or better.  The most financially prudent decision is to extend him before his option year and spread that bonus out over 6 or 7 years.  If MT10 plays up to expectations this year, he is going to be paid better than Wentz.  If he exceeds expectations, we are going to be looking at him setting a new highest paid bar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Windy, I dont think anybody is advocating to get it done this offseason.  We are talking about 2020 at the earliest.  The cap hit on his option is going to be at least $25M and probably closer to $30M.  Franchise tag (if it exists in 2022) is likely to be $35M or better.  The most financially prudent decision is to extend him before his option year and spread that bonus out over 6 or 7 years.  If MT10 plays up to expectations this year, he is going to be paid better than Wentz.  If he exceeds expectations, we are going to be looking at him setting a new highest paid bar.

There was a David Kaplan tweet from a while back that said they wanted to start the process before year 4. Wentz was just done after year 3, but his deal is very team friendly in terms of structure.

After year 4 would make a lot of sense. The issue is you do not get nearly the cap relief because you would be adding it to an already expensive year in the 5th year option.

I would extend Mitch after this season if he goes nuts. At that point they should try to use the 4th year to reduce cap hits in the future.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

After year 4 would make a lot of sense. The issue is you do not get nearly the cap relief because you would be adding it to an already expensive year in the 5th year option.

If the extension begins in year five the 5th year option salary doesn't apply.  It's wiped out by the new contract and whatever it's terms are.

Typically that initial salary will be very low because the player will have received 100% of his signing bonus in lieu of the higher year one salary.  Wentz received a $16.368 mil signing bonus for 2019 but his salary is still a minimum $720k.  His 2019 cap hit is just $8.394 mil.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

I suppose we could also extend Mitch in 2020 provided it also kept his cap hit about the same but it's that 5th year option price tag in 2021 we'll want to avoid by extending him prior to that so it begins in 2021 wiping it out.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Interesting fact. Last time they re did the CBA the cap the following year went down.

Do you know why the cap went down?  Its bc the players % of revenue went from 55% to 48% that's why.  I can guarantee you the revenue aint going down from 48%.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

If the extension begins in year five the 5th year option salary doesn't apply.  It's wiped out by the new contract and whatever it's terms are.

Typically that initial salary will be very low because the player will have received 100% of his signing bonus in lieu of the higher year one salary.  Wentz received a $16.368 mil signing bonus for 2019 but his salary is still a minimum $720k.  His 2019 cap hit is just $8.394 mil.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

I suppose we could also extend Mitch in 2020 provided it also kept his cap hit about the same but it's that 5th year option price tag in 2021 we'll want to avoid by extending him prior to that so it begins in 2021 wiping it out.

Wentz was extended on the 4th year of his deal which was only 8 million or so. That provides a lot of wiggle room.

Wentz's deal is closer to 6 years 155 million [4 year 128 extension] because his 4th year and 5th year get folded into the 4 year extension. The Eagles then can split up the 6 years 155 million anyway they want. But the 8 [4th] and 18 [5th] year totals are s steal for the Eagles when you consider the 32/average of the deal.

Nothing is wiped out it is added in.

If you extend him going into the 5th year the entire deal needs to be accounted for. Trubisky's 5th year cap hit of 25 million would technically be on the books and you would have a much harder time of dropping his cap hit significantly.

1 year 25 million + 4 years 120 million for a total deal of 5 years 145 million. Does not leave you as much wiggle room as.

1 year 8 million [4th] + 1 year 25 million [5th] + 4 years 120 million for a total deal of 6 years 143 million.