Sammie Coates traded to Browns

trbst11

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yes injuries to both hands that they made him not only play through but play special teams through. 

Its why why I get annoyed at the "shouldn't have been that long" stuff. 

Yeah, I agree.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yes injuries to both hands that they made him not only play through but play special teams through. 

Don't let my opinion annoy you or anyone else. It is just my opinion. We will agree to disagree. I am not totally sure whether it was one or both hands, if he was that hurt, then put him on the IR.  I am not for playing players who cannot perform. A WR needs his hands and if you are going to throw the ball to him, you expect him to catch it. They don't give you do over's in the game because your WR's fingers are broken, sore or whatever. I am actually a Coates fan. I was happy with the draft pick and have said, (fact check me on the many posts) :D that I would have kept Coates over DHB. I do not believe he outplayed Hunter, but he and DHB are similar players with similar skills and questionable hands. To many of you all's point, I would have liked to see him get a chance, "with no excuses." Coates himself said in an article that much of the reason's behind his dropped passes were more mental than physical. He lost confidence.  I believe him because that shows to me. We like who we like and believe what we believe right or wrong. No secret I have been sounding the horn for Hunter as well. I would like to see what he can do with a QB like Big Ben for the first time in his career. Good discussion as far as I am concerned and differences of opinion make the world go round.

Since I am jokingly being a little passive aggressive today, here are few links about the finger( to fact check 43mafia).:D

ww.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17803082/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-sammie-coates-dealing-broken-finger

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/32053/steelers-sammie-coates-playing-with-two-broken-fingers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2712770-pit-wr-sammie-coates-declined-surgery-on-broken-finger-playing-with-it-crooked

56 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I never understood the decision to continue to play him on special teams. It never made sense to me.

I remember pointing that out last season: how good those 2 stone-hands WRs were as gunners.  I would cringe every time they got the ball thrown to them, expecting them to drop it at least 50% of the time, but they were sure good on STs.  I agree with what some said about Coates.  If his hands were that bad, he shouldn't have been playing.  They said lacerations during the games last year.  I'm not going to pretend to know the extent of that, or what they should've done.  But if he was playing, and he's a wide RECEIVER, he should've been able to catch the ball.  Last year injuries really kicked the crap out of the team at times.  Hopefully this year will be different.  

I wonder if Hunter can be a gunner or who they'll have replace Coates.

I'm liking this new assortment of weapons though, along with a really good OL if they all stay healthy:

Ben

Bell/Conner

James/McDonald/Grimble (all fairly athletic)

#1 Brown/Rogers (2 shifty slot types)

#2 Bryant/Hunter/DHB (3 deep threats.  DHB = solid #6 WR)

#3 JuJu (a bigger, more physical type of possession receiver in the Anquan Boldin mold as the #3 WR unless Rogers is the #3?  I still would've preferred Godwin without a doubt)

Only reason I can fathom why they kept DHB over Coates is because of how they perceived Coates attitude.    He didnt look good in the preseason and apparently wasnt motivated.   Its another one of those instances where we, as fans, judge moves without knowing all the facts.   

Im tired of discussing this though, because whats done is done.   While I dont love the decision, it comes down to this.....we WERE going to cut him and we got SOMETHING for him...essentially JJ Wilcox,     And honestly, Ill take Wilcox over Coates.....better player IMO and fills a much more dire need.

Only thing I dont like at this point is that we traded Coates to the Browns.   Even if he is just a decent 4th WR for him, its still good value for a 6th round pick for them.  

12 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

So just to be sure I understand the current situation of the roster right, EVERYONE is available and healthy now right?  Bryant is fully reinstated.  Bell is coming back.  No one is seriously dinged up or suspended and I forgot about it or haven't heard, right?  

Sutton was IR'd. 

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Sutton was IR'd. 

Ok. So he's the only one though.  A rookie 3rd rounder.  That is basically what I was thinking.  I just don't want to waste money on a trip there to watch a team missing key elements, like when they were without Bell, Bryant or Ben last year.  

Injury report

Pittsburgh

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
T Jerald Hawkins (Knee)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
LB Bud Dupree (Shoulder)

Cleveland

DID NOT PARTICIPATE
DE Myles Garrett (Ankle)
S Calvin Pryor (Not Injury Related)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION
G Joel Bitonio (Knee)