2018 Draft Prospects

warfelg

If we can get Tarvarus McFadden, CB FSU or Adonis Alexander, CB VTech I think you have to take them even though we just got Haden. 2 monsters that will make our DBs lock downs...

We don't need a SS and if Mitchell or Wilcox don't work out Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS Alabama or (I hate to say it) Marcus Allen, FS PSU should be serious considerations. I'm not a fan of Alabama and all their convicts and I don't know if he's been in trouble but Fitz is ridiculous!

We have James and just picked up Vance McDonald so TE should be solid for a few seasons. But if something is amiss I did have us looking at Troy Fumagalli, TE Wisconsin in an earlier thread. Solid hands and blue collar kid...

If Martavis blows up in our faces a guy like Jaylen Smith, WR Louisville would be a nice pick in the middle rounds. 6'4"  219 lbs... Or Jester Weah, WR Pitt who at 6' 3" 210 pounds averaged 24.2 YPR and had 10 TDs! Not bad for the hometown boy...

Now let's say we win the SB and Ben decides to ride off into the sunset.... I think we need to go with either Mason Randolph, QB OSU or Josh Rosen, QB UCLA. Both have the size but Rosen, he's a gamer and nver gives up. Did you see that TA&M game? Insane...

And if that happens guess what? We need a center since Pouncey said he would retire when Ben retires so then we need to look at Mason Cole, C Michigan or Frank Ragnow, C Arkansas in the 2-4 rounds.

TBC.....

Marcus Allen again had a good game with PSU. I think he's going to be there with our 1st. I would love him as he's a really good combo Safety. Good size at 6'2" and 205. 

On an unrelated note I'm tired of OSU QBs being built up as "the next great thing" and they ended up sucking. Braxton Miller, Cardell Jones, JT Barrett. All given way too much credit. 

I hate OSU QBs.  They alone make OSU almost dreadful to watch on offense.  I love watching their D for guys like Hubbard and Bosa, and in the past guys like Shazier and Darron Lee along with their DBs, but I hate their offense.  Their young RB looks good though, and their secondary is atrocious this year so far with so many new faces.  Hubbard and Bosa both looked like studs in that game though.  Hubbard would be an awesome get, just like Watt was this year.  I doubt we'd get that lucky twice in a row where a top 5-10 talent drops to the end of 1.  

Marcus Allen I didn't see much out of that would make me want him in that last game.  I'd rather have a coverage guy.  

FSU has a couple interesting guys in McFadden and their LB/S/CB whose name escapes me right now.  Not sure what to make of their hybrid guy who saw snaps utilized as all 3 of those positions in that game, since I haven't seen him in true coverage a lot, but he blitzed from the edge well and looks to be a long, lean, athletic play maker.  I didn't like what I saw out of the Browns' rookie that played at Michigan.  I thought maybe he was a player without a position.  Not sure about the FSU guy.  I'll have to watch him more.  

I watched part of the Indiana game again, and their QB got benched lol.  Lagow.  Their big WR that I mentioned the other day did look good again though, Simmie Cobbs Jr.  

On 9/10/2017 at 7:38 AM, warfelg said:

Marcus Allen again had a good game with PSU. I think he's going to be there with our 1st. I would love him as he's a really good combo Safety. Good size at 6'2" and 205. 

On an unrelated note I'm tired of OSU QBs being built up as "the next great thing" and they ended up sucking. Braxton Miller, Cardell Jones, JT Barrett. All given way too much credit. 

Well to be fair, I don't think many projected Miller to be a QB. He's already 3rd on the depth chart at WR. I'd say that's pretty good. Jones is a #2 QB which isn't bad but certainly not the superstar some had him to be after that 1st year. 

I know I am a homer for UGA players, but I would love to see Davin Bellamey (#17) or Lorenzo Carter (#7) in the Black and Gold.  They both destroyed the OL of Notre Dame.  With the future of Harrison, who knows??  I know we won't take one first unless Dupree is more hurt than we think he is.  Also, Nick Chubb and Sony Michel look damn good if Bell is going to leave after this year.

Anyway, I am down with safety from PSU as well.  He looks great!!!

Don't get me wrong here Bell is a great player. But I think we make Bell the player he is. Remember he had UNDER 4 YPC his rookie year. The importance of that statement is the OL got Pouncey back and added Big Al and his numbers surged. He also has a great QB and WRs around him so teams can't stack the box. What can you do with no OL and 8 or 9 in the box Bell?

Good runner. But what does he do in Cleveland? What does he do in New York? Or San Francisco?

He is a great athlete but he's no Antonio Brown. Point being. I tag him. Someone wants to pay him 5 years, $100m let him walk and take the two 1st rd picks.

Instead of paying Le'Veon Bell 5 years, $100m I take Saquon Barkley. Opportunity cost of paying a RB $100m is to take ANY RB ON THE PLANET.

5 hours ago, Money said:

Don't get me wrong here Bell is a great player. But I think we make Bell the player he is. Remember he had UNDER 4 YPC his rookie year. The importance of that statement is the OL got Pouncey back and added Big Al and his numbers surged. He also has a great QB and WRs around him so teams can't stack the box. What can you do with no OL and 8 or 9 in the box Bell?

Good runner. But what does he do in Cleveland? What does he do in New York? Or San Francisco?

He is a great athlete but he's no Antonio Brown. Point being. I tag him. Someone wants to pay him 5 years, $100m let him walk and take the two 1st rd picks.

Instead of paying Le'Veon Bell 5 years, $100m I take Saquon Barkley. Opportunity cost of paying a RB $100m is to take ANY RB ON THE PLANET.

Steelers aren't going to be picking top 5 for a chance at Barkley.  No one is going to pay 100 mill plus give up 2 1sts for Bell either.

5 hours ago, Money said:

It's a symbiotic relationship. A great OL helps an Average RB.  A great RB helps an average OL. And so on and so forth (I know you know that). Take the Cowboys for example. Most have their OL ranked at the top. Now look at the difference between Elliot and DMC behind that line. Elliot is much more effective. Why? Because he's the better RB. No doubt Bell would struggle behind a bad OL. That's not groundbreaking but he could be fine behind and average one and great behind a good one. I guess we'll find out if he is just chasing money or if there in any competitiveness to him. He's an Ohio native. Maybe he'll feel the Browns have their **** together enough to sign a lucrative deal there. Or maybe he'll go to Detroit and play near his College town.  Or maybe he'll go where the money takes him. IMHO, I see him taking the most money offered. And I agree with Magnus, Barkley will be out of our range but there are some solid RBs that can be had in the 2nd and later rounds. 

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

It's a symbiotic relationship. A great OL helps an Average RB.  A great RB helps an average OL. And so on and so forth (I know you know that). Take the Cowboys for example. Most have their OL ranked at the top. Now look at the difference between Elliot and DMC behind that line. Elliot is much more effective. Why? Because he's the better RB. No doubt Bell would struggle behind a bad OL. That's not groundbreaking but he could be fine behind and average one and great behind a good one. I guess we'll find out if he is just chasing money or if there in any competitiveness to him. He's an Ohio native. Maybe he'll feel the Browns have their **** together enough to sign a lucrative deal there. Or maybe he'll go to Detroit and play near his College town.  Or maybe he'll go where the money takes him. IMHO, I see him taking the most money offered. And I agree with Magnus, Barkley will be out of our range but there are some solid RBs that can be had in the 2nd and later rounds. 

Agreed.  Just in recent years, some guys that I personally liked at RB, and would have definitely drafted:

Tevin Coleman - 3rd rounder (#73 - 2015)
David Johnson - 3rd rounder (#86 - 2015)
TJ Yeldon - 2nd rounder (#36 - 2015 - I had him ranked behind those other 2, but with that horrible team he's on, can you even evaluate him?)
Jeremy Langford - 4th rounder (#106 - 2015 - around the same as Yeldon, but better value in 4 of course - he looked ok as a rookie)
Zach Zenner - undrafted - prolific small school back with decent size and athleticism - would've kicked the tires anyway

Ezekiel Elliott - 4th overall
CJ Prosise - 3rd rounder (#90)
Jordan Howard - 5th rounder (#150 - he replaced Langford in Chicago - he was a monster power back but couldn't stay healthy at Indiana)
Daniel Lasco - 7th rounder (#236 - I thought he could be a big play guy if used properly in a slasher type running style)

Leonard Fournette - 4th overall - I wouldn't have taken him that high though
Christian McCaffrey - 8th overall - my favorite college player ever - stud
Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon are both talented, but I wouldn't have drafted either due to red flags - both 2nd rounders
James Conner - 3rd round (105 - Idk if I would've taken him that high)
Samaje Perine - 4th round (114 - value pick here, in the Jordan Howard mold IMO)
Joe Williams - 4th round (121 - too high for my liking, but I liked what I saw in college - red flags??)
Brian Hill - 5th round (156)
TJ Logan - 5th round (179 - fumbled too much and is small, but he's fast - you can take a 5th rounder like this and pair him with a 4th like Perine and have a cheap backfield for example, rather than burning a premium pick on a RB like McCaffrey or Elliott, if you don't luck into a 3rd round stud like David Johnson)

Just watched the first half of that Pitt-OK State game, and WOW.  I want Mason Rudolph if Ben retires.  Hell I want him regardless.  He was amazing.  He looked a little like Ben on one play where he evaded 2 or 3 sacks, shuffled to the left and threw downfield for a long TD.  He is 6'5" 230, so ideal size.  Looked to be very accurate at all levels, good timing, good arm strength, etc.  The total package.  Now Pitt looked like hell in this game too though, but they didn't look so bad against Penn State.  So was it a bad game by them, or was Rudolph really that good?  He did get greedy in the 2nd half, after dropping 423 yards and 5 TDs in the first, and broke his nation-leading streak of 238 (I think) passes without an INT by throwing to a guy in double coverage in the end zone.  The funny thing about that pass, was when it came out of his hands I said "wow that's a nice throw' lol.  INT'd!  Great play by the DB, a great throw (showing arm strength I mean) but into too much coverage.  

Lamar Jackson was dominated last night by a defense that has NFL quality talent all over the field.  Yes Jackson would have some more talent around him too, but I feel as though these "top QB's" are getting exposed early as not as good as hyped.

20 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Lamar Jackson was dominated last night by a defense that has NFL quality talent all over the field.  Yes Jackson would have some more talent around him too, but I feel as though these "top QB's" are getting exposed early as not as good as hyped.

Could not make the tight throws or had no confidence to do it.

Rudolph and Darnold are the top two.  Darnold reminds me a lot of Big Ben.

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Could not make the tight throws or had no confidence to do it.

Rudolph and Darnold are the top two.  Darnold reminds me a lot of Big Ben.

They both have some Ben-like characteristics.  The ball seems to jump out of Darnold's hand a little better.  Rudolph in yesterday's game looked better than Darnold has in the 2 games I saw him play this year though.  But he might have been playing against a poorer defense too.  Pitt looked pathetic.

Archived