The Patriots are trading QB Jacoby Brissett to the Colts for WR Phillip Dorsett

game3525

4 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Rumors are Brady will retire after this season, and the Pats have been aware of this. They are not saying anything to keep it from being a distraction... again just a rumor. But it makes sense with how they've handled Garoppolo these past 2 seasons, they intend for him to take over soon.

It's not a rumor. Nobody in the Brady camp has said anything besides he wants to play 5 more years. It's something coming from fans and NE sports writers who are justifying keeping Garoppolo. If Brady doesn't play for the Patriots next year it's because he's on another team 

Well my Raiders CB's are too big to cover these speedy guys so...

WAIT!!! Do we even have a Defense?!? O.o

Good trade for both teams IMO. I expect them to trade Brady if they ever miss the playoffs. :ph34r:

JB is a young QB who looked good in really limited time. Dorsett was a reach when picked but will probably look great knowing slots in NE. ARGH!!!!!

14 hours ago, Starless said:

You missed the 2nd clause. The Colts, like the Pats, had TEs and RBs last year who ate up a large percentage of the team's targets and catches. Different teams obviously prioritize their weapons differently. For a guy who was, for all intents and purposes, their #4 target, his numbers were pretty much the mean. Compare him to guys like Tajae Sharpe, Jermaine Kearse, Victor Cruz and Taylor Gabriel.

He's still not a #2 WR though. And Hogan isn't close to being the conventional WR2, so it's not really accurate to compare them and use that to classify that as to what a WR2 is. Hogan was a situational/gamplan type player last season. Some teams don't scheme their offense to focus on a WR2 though, one of the main examples being the Pats like you mentioned. In order to be a WR2, you need to play the snaps, get the targets, achieve the stats and actually be prioritized like you're the 2nd option on the team. Dorsett/Hogan only check off one of those boxes....

10 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

He's still not a #2 WR though. And Hogan isn't close to being the conventional WR2, so it's not really accurate to compare them and use that to classify that as to what a WR2 is. Hogan was a situational/gamplan type player last season. Some teams don't scheme their offense to focus on a WR2 though, one of the main examples being the Pats like you mentioned. In order to be a WR2, you need to play the snaps, get the targets, achieve the stats and actually be prioritized like you're the 2nd option on the team. Dorsett/Hogan only check off one of those boxes....

He was an decent #2 receiver on a team that utilized him differently with Rbs and TEs catching a good amount of passes, that's his point. He is going to a similar type team.

They are a perfect comparison for a team that plays a similar style in terms of distributed targets. I don't think he will be good for a while this season. Most difficult offense to learn in the NFL from the rumors so he'll be a special teams/burner only until probably after the bye.

3 minutes ago, iothar said:

He was an decent #2 receiver on a team that utilized him differently with Rbs and TEs catching a good amount of passes, that's his point. He is going to a similar type team.

They are a perfect comparison for a team that plays a similar style in terms of distributed targets. I don't think he will be good for a while this season. Most difficult offense to learn in the NFL from the rumors so he'll be a special teams/burner only until probably after the bye.

That makes sense. However, I don't believe that's indicative of Dorsett's use up to this point. The Colt's conventional passing order would be something like:

WR1--WR2 --TE1--WR3--RB1

New England's would be something like:

WR1-- TE1--RB1--WR2--WR3

Dorsett has hard the opportunity of being the #2 target, especially with Moncrief always on the shelf half the time. He has struggled with drops. His target percentage has been due to the lack of not being able to separate at the NFL level.

Hogan has been an extremely efficient receiver with the lack of opportunities he's had up to this point. He's an outside/seam WR who plays on an offense that doesn't feed the #2/X WR and rarely throws pass the intermediate points. His target percentage has been due to the scheme of the offense.

They have similar snap, target and stat percentages but the context is completely different behind it. Dorsett just hasn't been good.....

4 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

That makes sense. However, I don't believe that's indicative of Dorsett's use up to this point. The Colt's conventional passing order would be something like:

WR1--WR2 --TE1--WR3--RB1

New England's would be something like:

WR1-- TE1--RB1--WR2--WR3

Dorsett has hard the opportunity of being the #2 target, especially with Moncrief always on the shelf half the time. He has struggled with drops. His target percentage has been due to the lack of not being able to separate at the NFL level.

Hogan has been an extremely efficient receiver with the lack of opportunities he's had up to this point. He's an outside/seam WR who plays on an offense that doesn't feed the #2/X WR and rarely throws pass the intermediate points. His target percentage has been due to the scheme of the offense.

They have similar snap, target and stat percentages but the context is completely different behind it. Dorsett just hasn't been good.....

Patriots had the third most passing plays resulting in 25+ yards last year, Indy was 12th. I would think with how well the Patriots scored last year and taking away really 2 games (Buffalo and Houston game) they were pretty decent at throwing deep.

1 hour ago, iothar said:

I'd put him at #4. Cooks, Hogan, Amendola/Mitchell, Dorsett. He will take a couple months to learn the system.

I've seen every single snap of the past 4 years, and I still can't work out how we use Amendola. He can go 3 weeks without a catch, then he makes 5 catches for 120 and a TD. On paper, he's something like 5th. Edelman, Cooks, Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola. Then Gronk, White and possibly Lewis factor in as well.

I combined Amendola and Mitchell into 1 because Mitchell will miss some games (probably first couple weeks just because his knee is that annoying) and Amendola will be rested periodically. I would say WR 5 if both Mitchell and Amendola played all 16 games and recorded catches.

20 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

I just don't see what Dorsett brings to the table, yes he's a returner, but other than that the skill positions are pretty stacked. Maybe some WR is carrying an injury we don't know about?

You said it in your post.  Punt returner is a huge part of a team, the most useless part of a team is 3rd string QB.  Also WR depth will come into play during a season, a 3rd string QB might get some kneel down work or some action in week 17.  If Brissett was thought to be a quality NFL starter then it is probably not a good trade.  This trade shows what Belichick really thought of him.

21 hours ago, Crickett said:

Br00TCn.gif

I can absolutely understand it from the Colts perspective.  Dorsett was arguably the most nonsensical pick Grigson ever made.   He wasn't contributing enough and they needed a quarterback.

But the Patriots?  Chris Hogan was their down the field option last year and he was effective in the role.  They trade for Cooks who is effective at every level, but clearly has top tier speed.  They lose their heart and soul in Edelman.  A fearless receiver who can be counted on for 100 catches if he can stay healthy for the Patriots and has at least one of the clutchest plays in NFL history.  And when they need to add someone to help fill the void they trade for..... another speedster?  What?  Then on the other hand, you have trading away Brissett.  In the fourth preseason game, the dude just went 28 for 39, 341 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for a fifth.  Tom Brady is getting older, Jimmy Garoppolo is about to get a lot more expensive.  Why unload him? 

Why?  Because NBT got a job with the Patriots. 

16 hours ago, lancerman said:

It's not a rumor. Nobody in the Brady camp has said anything besides he wants to play 5 more years. It's something coming from fans and NE sports writers who are justifying keeping Garoppolo. If Brady doesn't play for the Patriots next year it's because he's on another team 

Come on.  There is a much much higher chance Brady retires than that he plays anywhere else. 

Archived