The offseason DL thread

boratt

from PackersNews

"Montravius Adams said he now weighs 298, 299 pounds, dropping under the 300 mark "
Left guard Lane Taylor, who reps against Adams in practice, said he can tell a difference from last year. Taylor called Adams a “deceptive” athlete, surprisingly quick for his size. “When you kind of look at him,” Taylor explained, “you don’t think he’s super athletic. But he’s pretty damn athletic.”
“I think he’s playing more sound football. Before he’d get too high on double teams and get blown back and stuff. He’s playing low. He knows how to slip blocks, and he’s always been a shifty, quick guy. He’s always been able to utilize that to create some pass rush.”

• Like 3

On 7/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, Shanedorf said:

Pettine commented about this in his presser today. Adams is not only in better physical shape, but he dropped weight

Yeah if that 300 lb number is legit, they definitely see his future at the 3.  Honestly I think that's where his game plays best anyway; I think you want Adams moving forward as much as possible rather than trying to eat doubles.  I think Adams is a guy that people wrote off too early and he really needed a couple years to work on his body and get settled into the speed of the game.  Still need to see what he actually looks like on the field though.

3 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah if that 300 lb number is legit, they definitely see his future at the 3.  Honestly I think that's where his game plays best anyway; I think you want Adams moving forward as much as possible rather than trying to eat doubles.  I think Adams is a guy that people wrote off too early and he really needed a couple years to work on his body and get settled into the speed of the game.  Still need to see what he actually looks like on the field though.

Good on the coaches for finally picking a direction for the guy, two years too late, but still. 

I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the Daniels release (still not happy) knowing they're at least giving Adams the body to play the 3T rather than asking him to play it at 315.

Here’s what I envision:

Dean Lowry 4.87 40 with excellent conditioning

Mont Adams 4.86 with excellent conditioning

Its very helpful to have DEs who can run down plays. When the OLB drops into coverage, the DE becomes the edge defender and has a lot of space to cover. Having two long, strong AND fast DEs is going to be an excellent fit for what Pettine does. 

I’m exited to see it all fit together!

I expect a lot more 3-3 defense this year than 2-4. Montravius and Lowry are excellent fits to play DE in this defense.  So we’re gonna see less 3t overall and a bunch of jt will be covered by Z anyway. Daniels isn’t getting replaced by someone doing the same thing he did. He’s getting replaced by someone who can do what Pettine wants to do anyway. The reason we saw so much 3t isn’t because that’s what pettine likes to run. It’s becisse that’s what Daniels did best and pettine created a spot to highlight that. 

Stop trying to force someone into Daniels role. That role was created for Daniels based on what he does best.  They’ll adjust for the players they have and releasing Daniels shows they PREFER the players and play styles they have. 

Edited by boratt

16 hours ago, boratt said:

Lancaster is a similar player to Pickett. Clark is no comparison. 

Ryan Pickett was a very good NFL starter who would have started on any team in the NFL during most of his tenure in Green Bay.  Lancaster is barely worth a roster spot.  Outside of size, there is absolutely no comparing these 2 players to each other.  It's like trying to say Dean Lowry is similar to Reggie White because they are the same size.  

38 minutes ago, SSG said:

Ryan Pickett was a very good NFL starter who would have started on any team in the NFL during most of his tenure in Green Bay.  Lancaster is barely worth a roster spot.  Outside of size, there is absolutely no comparing these 2 players to each other.  It's like trying to say Dean Lowry is similar to Reggie White because they are the same size.  

Why do you say that? Lancaster was a darn good run stopper last year, better than Daniels in that department. That was his rookie year as well, who knows how good he can be. I doubt he’ll be a significant pass rush threat , but if he’s a very good run stopper then I’d be happy. It’s not like Pickett was a pass rush threat either. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Why do you say that? Lancaster was a darn good run stopper last year, better than Daniels in that department. That was his rookie year as well, who knows how good he can be. I doubt he’ll be a significant pass rush threat , but if he’s a very good run stopper then I’d be happy. It’s not like Pickett was a pass rush threat either. 

Because he was JAG among a group that was terrible for 3/4 of the year last year.  IMO, if not for injuries last year I'm not sure we're talking about him making this current roster.  He's a practice squad caliber player who was called into action because of injuries.

2 hours ago, SSG said:

All Pickett could do is stop the run. He literally averaged two thirds of a sack per season over his career. That’s perfectly comparable to the strictly run stuffer we have in Lancaster. Wtf. 

You have weird fuzzy memories of a one dimensional, average NFL player. 

Edited by boratt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, boratt said:

All Pickett could do is stop the run. He literally averaged two thirds of a sack per season over his career. That’s perfectly comparable to the strictly run stuffer we have in Lancaster. Wtf. 

You have weird fuzzy memories of a one dimensional, average NFL player. 

Ryan Pickett was a high end NFL starter whom we sought after and paid a big contract to in UFA.  Once that deal was done he was franchised and then given a much bigger long term deal. He was a key contributor to that 2010 Super Bowl defense.  

Lancaster is a practice squad player that was signed to the team after a bunch of injuries to the defensive line.  You are comparing a guy who Gute saw as a practice squad caliber player to a guy whom Ted Thompson put the franchise tag on.  It's my memory that is fuzzy?  

I don't understand why you feel the need to trash former Packers in an effort to make this current team out to be all world.  

The game has changed since Pickett's days.

Ryan Pickett was a top tier inside DL during his tenure.   Very good at what he did.  He was not dime a dozen.

Measuring him using todays stat's and ideas is a waste of time and deceptive as can be.   You may be correct in that his value in TODAYS NFl would not be as high as it was in his time.   That doesn't really matter though.   

Next will we read that MacArthur Lane or Jim Taylor really sucked because in today's NFL fullbacks are obsolete?

• Like 1