The offseason DL thread

boratt

He wasn't dime a dozen.  He was an elite run stopper back when running the ball was much more prevalent than it is now.

Don't sell him short, Pickett.

Lancaster has flashed Pickett like ability in the run game.  But he's not to that level yet.  But, Lancaster is the perfect example of why you don't draft run stopping DL's highly.  You can find them all over the draft board and in UDFA land.  I'm excited because Lancaster reportedly has been working on some pass rush/shedding moves.  If he can just log a few pressures, well, he could be a huge steal from last year draft.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He wasn't dime a dozen.  He was an elite run stopper back when running the ball was much more prevalent than it is now.

Don't sell him short, Pickett.

Lancaster has flashed Pickett like ability in the run game.  But he's not to that level yet.  But, Lancaster is the perfect example of why you don't draft run stopping DL's highly.  You can find them all over the draft board and in UDFA land.  I'm excited because Lancaster reportedly has been working on some pass rush/shedding moves.  If he can just log a few pressures, well, he could be a huge steal from last year draft.

I always think how Damon Harrison didn't get drafted when someone brings up not taking run stuffing types. Granted he was from a small school and everything.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

Because he was JAG among a group that was terrible for 3/4 of the year last year.  IMO, if not for injuries last year I'm not sure we're talking about him making this current roster.  He's a practice squad caliber player who was called into action because of injuries.

Okay, he got in because of injuries and played very good , especially for a rookie! The run defense was much better when he played .If he can stay as good as he was vs the run this year with more snaps he’s more than a jag . He’d be a valuable member of a DL rotation. 

He and Pickett’s game are very similar 

more on Montravius Adams via The Athletic

Adams still felt too heavy and slow after playing last season around 315 pounds. Even if he ate healthy, Adams said, his natural weight lied between 310-320 pounds. He wanted to change something besides his diet to build endurance that would allow him to play every down if need be.

Adams emphasized the desire to cut weight was his own, not ordered from Pettine or defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery.

Back in his home state of Georgia this summer Adams ran, ran and ran some more. The runs he recounts with a smile on his face (now that they’re over) were 200-yard sprints he had to finish in 40 seconds, some in 36 seconds. Adams ran 10 such sprints one day, with a break of about 40 seconds in between each.

He’s lighter, faster and stronger, ready to assume the starting role that seemed far-fetched not long ago.

“With his weight down, he just made a play in practice yesterday where he penetrated and put his foot in the ground, and went and chased the ball carrier down. You wouldn’t have seen that from him a year ago,” Pettine said.

Here's a pic of 320 lb Adams from last year

USATSI_11918793-e1564545229521-1024x682.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

more on Montravius Adams via The Athletic

Adams still felt too heavy and slow after playing last season around 315 pounds. Even if he ate healthy, Adams said, his natural weight lied between 310-320 pounds. He wanted to change something besides his diet to build endurance that would allow him to play every down if need be.

Adams emphasized the desire to cut weight was his own, not ordered from Pettine or defensive line coach Jerry Montgomery.

Back in his home state of Georgia this summer Adams ran, ran and ran some more. The runs he recounts with a smile on his face (now that they’re over) were 200-yard sprints he had to finish in 40 seconds, some in 36 seconds. Adams ran 10 such sprints one day, with a break of about 40 seconds in between each.

He’s lighter, faster and stronger, ready to assume the starting role that seemed far-fetched not long ago.

“With his weight down, he just made a play in practice yesterday where he penetrated and put his foot in the ground, and went and chased the ball carrier down. You wouldn’t have seen that from him a year ago,” Pettine said.

Here's a pic of 320 lb Adams from last year

USATSI_11918793-e1564545229521-1024x682.

That dude was FAT, not PHAT, FAT! Glad to hear he's slimmed down and sounds ready to have a break out type of year. It would be great if he did break out. I'm starting to be OK with the release of Daniels. Sounds like we may be OK on the d-line. In fact, maybe a lot better than OK. 

On 7/31/2019 at 3:38 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Good on the coaches for finally picking a direction for the guy, two years too late, but still. 

I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about the Daniels release (still not happy) knowing they're at least giving Adams the body to play the 3T rather than asking him to play it at 315.

I'll be very curious to see what Adams plays like at 300. I'd bet he hasn't been that low since sophomore year if that. 

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Senior year of highschool probably lol

I laughed, and then realized that honestly that's probably not even a joke.  Guy must feel like he's superman at practice this year; exercising without the tire is like being a different person.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Senior year of highschool probably lol

Thought you'd be upset with this part, since in a previous post you said you were glad the staff had finally decided on a direction for Adams' body

3 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Thought you'd be upset with this part, since in a previous post you said you were glad the staff had finally decided on a direction for Adams' body

1. I don't believe that for a minute any NFL player on a rookie contract wasn't given off-season fitness goals.

2. If he made the choice without the coaching staff needing to, that makes me even happier that he's doing what needs to be done without being told. Lord knows we've got enough NTs on this team.

• Like 1