2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

52 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

At worst he's a versatile defender with little to zero offensive game. I really like his game, and in the right situation he could be special, but in the wrong one he'll never be better than a bench big that can defend multiple positions. The swing from his good and bad is just too much for me to not place him in that category. 

I do like him a lot, and think he could turn into Siakam-Lite. But he's got a few years in the NBA before that hits. 

Agree. I just think boom or bust would be kept aside for the players that have no consistent traits. 

Kira Lewis Jr is the most underrated player in this class followed closely by Saddiq Bey. De'Aaron Fox went 5th in a stronger class and Lewis is basically Fox v2.0. Fox's first step/dribble is better but Lewis makes up for that with his ability to shoot IMO. 

Fox was 6'3" with a 6'6" wingspan at 187 lbs
Lewis is 6'3" with a 6'5" wingspan at 165 lbs

So he's got some making up to do with strength but he's still only 19 even after 2 years in college. I personally love the kid and have no idea why he's projected outside the lottery in such a weak class.

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Kira Lewis Jr is the most underrated player in this class followed closely by Saddiq Bey. De'Aaron Fox went 5th in a stronger class and Lewis is basically Fox v2.0. Fox's first step/dribble is better but Lewis makes up for that with his ability to shoot IMO. 

Fox was 6'3" with a 6'6" wingspan at 187 lbs
Lewis is 6'3" with a 6'5" wingspan at 165 lbs

So he's got some making up to do with strength but he's still only 19 even after 2 years in college. I personally love the kid and have no idea why he's projected outside the lottery in such a weak class.

Fox is a better playmaker and ball handler than Lewis is. Lewis doesn't have an array of dribble moves to get by guys. Using simple crossovers have been effective because of his speed and overall athleticism. I've also seen in a few places that Lewis has a 6'6" wingspan. Also he is a notch slower than Fox, closer to Dennis Schroeder in that regard. 

I actually think Jeff Teague is a better comp for him overall. 

7 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

Fox is a better playmaker and ball handler than Lewis is. Lewis doesn't have an array of dribble moves to get by guys. Using simple crossovers have been effective because of his speed and overall athleticism. I've also seen in a few places that Lewis has a 6'6" wingspan. Also he is a notch slower than Fox, closer to Dennis Schroeder in that regard. 

I actually think Jeff Teague is a better comp for him overall. 

That's what I meant by Fox's first step/dribble being better, in regards to ball handling and speed. I'm not quite sure I see the Teague comparison though. Teague isn't as quick or as good a finisher as Lewis is. I think Lewis is closer to Fox than Teague when it comes to ceiling as well. Regardless, if you can get a 13 point, 6 assist career lead guard out of this class, you did well.

My big board:

1. Onyeka Okongwu C---strong like bull freak of nature that can defend at a high level. Rim running ability and shot blocking traits are special.
NBA Comparison: Bam Adebayo

2. Deni Avdija SF---so refined at such a young age. Gets others involved offensively and plays great team and help defense.
NBA Comparison: Can't think of anyone that does what he does.

3. Isaac Okoro SF---superb athlete with lockdown defense. Nightmare in the open floor, but lacks a jump shot.
NBA Comparison: Ron Artest

4. James Wiseman C---elite athlete, rebounder, shot blocker, floor runner. Raw and foul prone.
NBA Comparison: Hassan Whiteside

5. Lamelo Ball PG---elite playmaking skills and size. Lacks a consistent shot and is very weak.
NBA Comparison: Jason Kidd without defense

6. Anthony Edwards SG---confident shooter with unreal physical talent. Lacks intangibles offensively and defensively.
NBA Comparison: More confident Andrew Wiggins

7. Obi Toppin PF---lacks defensive intensity and foot speed to guard positions outside of PF. But man, what an explosive athlete with no holes offensively.
NBA Comparison: Kenyon Martin with a jump shot...or an explosive Tobias Harris.

8. Devin Vassell SG---lockdown wing defender that hits 3's consistently. Reminds me a little of Klay Thompson in that regard.
NBA Comparison: Poor Man's Klay Thompson

9. Tyrese Haliburton PG---big defensive point guard that facilitates very well. Not great anywhere, but solid all-around player.
NBA Comparison: Kirk Hinrich

10. Precious Achiuwa PF---another strong athlete that can defend multiple positions. Lacks offensive ability outside of dunks and pick-setting.
NBA Comparison: Stronger Gerald Wallace

Edited by BleedTheClock
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 8:26 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

with ayton, simmons, and roberson all hitting 3s in the last 24 hours I am moving okoro to #1

apparently it is v easy to get better at 3s

It’s honestly not that hard to learn. It’s not like teaching a guy to dribble. And I always think about this:

No college coach is going to worry about developing a lottery pick 1 & done for long-term success. They don’t care if Okoro improves his 3point percentage marginally. Shooting 3’s is going to become Okoro’s new full-time job. For a kid that works as hard as he does, I don’t see that being a major problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

My big board:

1. Onyeka Okongwu C---strong like bull freak of nature that can defend at a high level. Rim running ability and shot blocking traits are special.
NBA Comparison: Bam Adebayo

2. Deni Avdija SF---so refined at such a young age. Gets others involved offensively and plays great team and help defense.
NBA Comparison: Can't think of anyone that does what he does.

3. Isaac Okoro SF---superb athlete with lockdown defense. Nightmare in the open floor, but lacks a jump shot.
NBA Comparison: Ron Artest

4. James Wiseman C---elite athlete, rebounder, shot blocker, floor runner. Raw and foul prone.
NBA Comparison: Hassan Whiteside

5. Lamelo Ball PG---elite playmaking skills and size. Lacks a consistent shot and is very weak.
NBA Comparison: Jason Kidd without defense

6. Anthony Edwards SG---confident shooter with unreal physical talent. Lacks intangibles offensively and defensively.
NBA Comparison: More confident Andrew Wiggins

7. Obi Toppin PF---lacks defensive intensity and foot speed to guard positions outside of PF. But man, what an explosive athlete with no holes offensively.
NBA Comparison: Kenyon Martin with a jump shot...or an explosive Tobias Harris.

8. Devin Vassell SG---lockdown wing defender that hits 3's consistently. Reminds me a little of Klay Thompson in that regard.
NBA Comparison: Poor Man's Klay Thompson

9. Tyrese Haliburton PG---big defensive point guard that facilitates very well. Not great anywhere, but solid all-around player.
NBA Comparison: Kirk Hinrich

10. Precious Achiuwa PF---another strong athlete that can defend multiple positions. Lacks offensive ability outside of dunks and pick-setting.
NBA Comparison: Stronger Gerald Wallace

Don't know enough about these prospects to agree or disagree, but do like the write up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

It’s honestly not that hard to learn. It’s not like teaching a guy to dribble. And I always think about this:

No college coach is going to worry about developing a lottery pick 1 & done for long-term success. They don’t care if Okoro improves his 3point percentage marginally. Shooting 3’s is going to become Okoro’s new full-time job. For a kid that works as hard as he does, I don’t see that being a major problem. 

The Bold is both YES and NO... some can improve , while others never can learn.. Just one example was MKG who had Mark price trying to help.. His bad muscle memory was unbreakable..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

this fellow is supposed to be the bol bol of this year

Skinny frame worries me... I also hate judging Europeans since I can't see them play often.. Sometimes young European players are very skillful, but soft as cupcakes.. I usually am very confident about my basketball analysis of players when I get to see them.. But I was way off on D Bender. Thought he would be the real deal. Showed great skills in workouts and on tape. But who knows.. One of the worst things someone can do is assume that a player with similar abilities pre-draft will turn out the same..

I'll give you my greatest example of that. Michael Smith was supposed to be the another "Larry Bird" type (except 6'10) when drafted out of BYU. He was college's 3 point champ and an all 1st team player that year. he could pass and rebound as well. (in college anyway) He went 13th to Boston in 1988? over players like Shawn Kemp-Tim Hardaway-Cliff Robinson just to name a few.. 

Well as it turned out M Smith was a monumental bust for Boston.. he was as soft as melted butter. take that for what

Maybe this kid will develop his body and in a few years can be a quality contributor.. The game is definitely different now..

Edited by resilient part 2

On 7/27/2020 at 9:41 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

this fellow is supposed to be the bol bol of this year

I'd definitely take a flyer on him in the first round. He's only 18 and his potential is through the roof if he can gain some weight/strength. As I said previously, when you look at the two teams that came out on top in that crappy 2013 draft, they were the teams that took guys with traits and developed them. (Utah and Milwaukee) 

My early updated big board: 

1. Onyeka Okongwu | C | USC

Slightly undersized but he's an amazing athlete, finisher, and shot blocker who's offensive skill-set should continue to develop into what is needed from a modern 5 man. 

NBA Comparison: Bam Abedayo | Montrezl Harrel 

2. Killian Hayes | PG | France 

One of the most skilled and crafty players in the draft, Hayes game is perfect for the modern NBA as a guard that thrives in the pick-n-roll and can create off the dribble. 

NBA Comparison: Spencer Dinwiddie | D'Angelo Russell 

3. Deni Avdija | SF | Israel 

Extremely versatile, skilled, and crafty with a basketball IQ beyond his years, his game is perfect for the modern NBA as someone that can play 1-4 depending on the matchup. 

NBA Comparison: Hedo Turkoglu | Joe Ingles 

4. James Wiseman | C | Memphis 

Elite physical tools for a center with a developing skill-set at worst he should be one of the better rim running/shot blocking centers in the league at some point in his career. 

NBA Comparison: Hassan Whiteside | DeAndre Jordan

5. Anthony Edwards | CG | Georgia 

Elite physical tools as a power combo guard but he hasn't put it all together yet, was somewhat of a chucker at Georgia but that could also be contributed somewhat to his role and the lack of talent around him.

NBA Comparison: Victor Oladipo | Dion Waiters

6. Devin Vassell | GF | Florida State

Elite defender that will be a plus defender the first day he steps on an NBA court who also has a developing offensive game at all 3 levels. 

NBA Comparison: DeAndre Hunter | Kelly Oubre 

7. Isaac Okoro | GF | Auburn

Elite defender that will also be a plus defender from day one, he's still very raw offensively but I'd take a chance on him due to his defensive ability/potential alone.

NBA Comparison: Justice Winslow | Ron Artest

8. Tyrese Haliburton | PG | Iowa State

One of the most well rounded players in the class, he has a high basketball IQ and makes everyone around him better. Has limited upside as a scorer but should be a starter in the league.

NBA Comparison: Lonzo Ball | Shawn Livingston 

9. Aleksej Pokusevski | FC | Serbia 

The more of watched of him and read about him, the more I like him as a prospect. There simply aren't many players at his size that can do what he can do, he still has a long way to go physically but the upside is through the roof. 

NBA Comparison: Kristapas Porzingis | Toni Kukoc 

10. Obi Toppin | F | Dayton 

Versatile and explosive player with the ability to be a nice stretch 4 but I'm not the biggest fan of him due to his lack of defensive ability and age. 

NBA Comparison: Derrick Williams | Drew Gooden