2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Why is it the guys I'm always on for later picks end up rising during the process? Maybe I know what I'm looking at when I watch these guys, ey? 🤔

You read my scouting reports throughout the season and then try to take credit for them. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I was definitely the first person on this site to bring up Isaiah Joe. 1000%.

You definitely introduced my to Isaiah Joe. Think he'll have a long career and will be a good value pick at the top of the 2nd round.

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You definitely introduced my to Isaiah Joe. Think he'll have a long career and will be a good value pick at the top of the 2nd round.

I really don't know what happened with his 3pt% this year. I'd have to do a deeper dive into what Arkansas was doing and what kind of shots Joe was taking that lead him to being a 35% shooter there (though on 10 attempts). His shot is so pure.

11 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I really don't know what happened with his 3pt% this year. I'd have to do a deeper dive into what Arkansas was doing and what kind of shots Joe was taking that lead him to being a 35% shooter there (though on 10 attempts). His shot is so pure.

For his college career he's still a 38% shooter on 9 attempts per game. Seems like he just had a few really bad shooting nights that dragged his % down but either way you're not taking 10 3's per game if you're not a very good shooter. Philly has a couple of picks at the top of the 2nd round that'd be a nice landing spot for both sides. 

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Bro, the edibles I take aren't THAT strong.

I can't wait until draft night. If the Knicks are able to move up for LaMelo Ball, I will absolutely lose my mind. I'll probably subscribe to a Knicks season pass just to see those two play side by side on a team with absolutely zero spacing for Thibs who will expect them to play 40 minutes a night and try on defense. 

• Like 1

5IT4N7D5TJHSTP6F3HXWCLZG7I.jpg

Jalen Smith | FC | Maryland

Measurable's: 6'10" 220 | 7'3" wingspan

2019 statistics: 15.5 ppg | 10.5 rpg | 2.4 bpg on .538 FG | .367 3FG | .750 FT

Strengths

+ Rim protection / shot blocking

+ High level rebounder

+ Above average athlete

+ Above average length 

+ 3 point shooting

+ Potential as a pick-n-roll scorer

+ Potential as a face up scorer

+ Good team defender with a high IQ

Weaknesses

- Needs to improve defending in space

- Needs to add weight/strength

- Lacks polish as a post scorer

- Can be reckless on offense at times

- Poor passer at this stage 

Analysis

Smith has flown under the radar for most of the pre-draft process but is a guy that I expect will hear his name called a lot earlier than expected on draft night. His game is perfect for the direction the league is trending as he is a high level rebounder and shot blocker that can space the floor with legitimate NBA 3 point range. He's also a good finisher around the rim and has a ton of potential as a pick-n-roll scorer because he can finish as a lob threat or hit catch-n-shoot jumpers in pick and pop situations. Returning to Maryland for a 2nd season paid off well for him as he improved as a shooter and a shot blocker, which are the two most appealing aspects of his game. Going forward he'll need to add strength/weight as he wasn't the most impressive post scorer and a lot of that was due to being out muscled on the block. He'll also need to improve his lateral quickness to be able to switch when needed defensively so that he can do a better job of staying in front of smaller guards. Overall though I think he'll go on to have a successful career as a floor spacing/rim protecting big and fits well with a team looking to get bigger inside without sacrificing spacing on offense. 

Comparisons

Ceiling: Myles Turner 

Realistic: P.J. Brown

Floor: Harry Giles 

Team fits: Boston, Minnesota, Dallas, Miami

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yam Madar is going to be a real nice draft and stash 2nd round pick for someone. If his shot comes along, he's going to be a starting caliber NBA PG. Real nice handle, vision and first step. 

I've heard that name a few times recently but I'm not familiar with his game. Who does he play like? 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I've heard that name a few times recently but I'm not familiar with his game. Who does he play like? 

I mean, you're going to call me crazy but he reminds me of Steph a bit. Obviously, he's not going to be the greatest shooter of all-time but that's the guy he looks like for me.

You be the judge.