Jump to content
Adrenaline_Flux

~~//~~ Pro Wrestling: Summerslam Weekend BAY BAY! ~~\\~~

Recommended Posts

The LBC    136
1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

I guess this does seem different. It's done much better than the women's belt. With the whole, automatic rematch thing I think there's either more predictability or hot potato with the belts which is why I'd scrap that.

I mean ultimately that's all I ask: That it make sense.

We're probably going to get multiple HIAC matches at the HIAC PPV (actually... let's face it, we are because they did it last year).  I don't have a huge issue with that, as long as it doesn't jump the shark on oversaturation of the gimmick, as long as that kind of match makes sense for the story that's been progressed.  It does for Jinder and Nakamura (perhaps not an out and out HIAC as a heated feud capper, but a cage match as a means to keeping the Singhs out of the match - that works).  Owens/Shane in the cell, that makes sense.

Even if they were to do Usos vs New Day in the cell.  I'd understand (I'd hope to God they cap it at three HIAC matches because two feels like enough, honestly).

Certain oversaturation of stuff is much easier to swallow if it actually does feel organic and logical.  It sounds like Owens/AJ hot potatoing the title happened a bit more than it was intended to more by accident, but they managed to spin that into a damn good Owen/Shane story arc so ultimately I don't care about that hot potatoing.

The RAW Women's stuff is just a giant trainwreck and it actually has me worried that Asuka is going to get mishandled because of it, unless Hunter is actually on-set more often and way more hands-on with how she's booked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pollino14    22
16 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I mean ultimately that's all I ask: That it make sense.

We're probably going to get multiple HIAC matches at the HIAC PPV (actually... let's face it, we are because they did it last year).  I don't have a huge issue with that, as long as it doesn't jump the shark on oversaturation of the gimmick, as long as that kind of match makes sense for the story that's been progressed.  It does for Jinder and Nakamura (perhaps not an out and out HIAC as a heated feud capper, but a cage match as a means to keeping the Singhs out of the match - that works).  Owens/Shane in the cell, that makes sense.

Even if they were to do Usos vs New Day in the cell.  I'd understand (I'd hope to God they cap it at three HIAC matches because two feels like enough, honestly).

Certain oversaturation of stuff is much easier to swallow if it actually does feel organic and logical.  It sounds like Owens/AJ hot potatoing the title happened a bit more than it was intended to more by accident, but they managed to spin that into a damn good Owen/Shane story arc so ultimately I don't care about that hot potatoing.

The RAW Women's stuff is just a giant trainwreck and it actually has me worried that Asuka is going to get mishandled because of it, unless Hunter is actually on-set more often and way more hands-on with how she's booked.

You're right, over-saturation is awful. The Usos and New Day have to do one because they just finished a street fight. Nak and Jinder to keep out the Singhs of course. Didn't think Shane and KO needed one personally . Just a no holds barred match coulda sufficed.

 

What did you think of Asuka's placement on RAW?? I think she fits in more with SD.

 

Alexa, Sasha, Bayley are as unthreatening looking as they come. And Idt I can take them too serious vs a woman so dominant as Asuka.

 

Char, Becky, Naomi and hell, even Nattie has the look and the skills to put on more physical matches which works best with Asuka .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The LBC    136
1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

What did you think of Asuka's placement on RAW?? I think she fits in more with SD.

 

Alexa, Sasha, Bayley are as unthreatening looking as they come. And Idt I can take them too serious vs a woman so dominant as Asuka.

 

Char, Becky, Naomi and hell, even Nattie has the look and the skills to put on more physical matches which works best with Asuka .

The eventual money match is Charlotte vs Asuka, but I'm fine if that's backburnered until next year's Mania at the earliest.  And the easiest way to backburner that is to keep them on separate brands.  I have no desire to see Asuka vs Nia again (because the first time was awful - and depending on how soon it is off Asuka's injury, Nia's honestly reckless enough she could drop her on her shoulder and reinjure her collarbone), but we're going to get it.

I'm fine with her being on RAW - honestly, RAW needs some damn legitimacy which their booking hasn't given them - but I'd want Asuka booked like Goldberg.  And yeah, you can have some Goldberg/Jericho, Goldberg/Regal type matches mixed in there to allow Sasha (especially if they ever do the smart thing and flip her back heel - presumably after this whole Four Horsewomen vs Four Horsewomen thing which looks headed for Survivor Series) and Alexa to keep their shine (Asuka's left Bailey laying multiple times, Bailey taking another loss to her doesn't really move the needle one way or the other for Bailey's legitimacy).  But they need to bring Summer Rae (if she's healed up) as enhancement talent and let Asuka just straight up wreck her (book Asuka like a babyface female Joe or Lesnar).  Let her go through the entire RAW stable of women with her undefeated streak still intact.  Then you've got a "reason" for someone like Charlotte from the other brand to make a push to jump brands or to challenge in a Champion vs Champion match at Mania.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troy Brown    37

As mostly a result reader only now (you can credit that to the mistreatment of Mike Bennett and the hiatus of y2j), it sounds like they hit 2 really good shows this past week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The LBC    136

Could be worse.  They could go with Taz's suggestion (from his pod) that they have her lose her first match on the RAW roster... so she can "flip out and go monster heel and destroy everyone."  Apparently Taz hasn't watched NXT since Asuka became champion, because she's pretty much been booked like some inhuman force that just wrecks people for fun there since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tom cody    17

Asuka would have been better placed on Smackdown. A feud between her and Charlotte would be quite good IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troy Brown    37
On 9/14/2017 at 1:19 PM, The LBC said:

Could be worse.  They could go with Taz's suggestion (from his pod) that they have her lose her first match on the RAW roster... so she can "flip out and go monster heel and destroy everyone."  Apparently Taz hasn't watched NXT since Asuka became champion, because she's pretty much been booked like some inhuman force that just wrecks people for fun there since then.

Idk, I think a dominant woman is bad for business right now. I feel like the division needs to be built up instead of always having just one real draw in the division. That said, Asuka is special so I don't see how else you do it

 

I thought the same about Bayley, though and they sure found a way to murder her 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The LBC    136
38 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Idk, I think a dominant woman is bad for business right now. I feel like the division needs to be built up instead of always having just one real draw in the division. That said, Asuka is special so I don't see how else you do it

 

I thought the same about Bayley, though and they sure found a way to murder her 

That's just the thing though, you can build up the division plenty while still having a dominant champion up top.  I mean, for all the (rightful) shade thrown at the current state of the NXT Women's division of the past year (which I still think is more just a causal reaction to Asuka being the only "star" for a fair period after Bayley, Carmella, and Nia were called up), they've managed to build 2 (3 if you count Ruby Riot, but I'm not sure she's quite there yet) quality characters that will be able to succeed at the next level and be thought of as viable contenders in Ember Moon and Nikki Cross - and both of them have climbed to the top of the mountain twice only to be knocked down by the champion.  As long as the champion's legitimacy isn't questionable (which Asuka's isn't), then a loss to the champion (whether they're heel or face) doesn't really hurt the credibility of the challenger.  And honestly, babyfaces are always better title-chasers than they are titleholders.

If Asuka beats Bayley, Emma, Sasha, Alexa, and Nia, it doesn't do anything to hurt those 5 or the division really because they're all on the same level, which now just would happen to be a level below Asuka (because they'd all have lost to her) and several levels above Alicia Fox (or whoever is made the sacrificial lamb to put Asuka over in under a minute).  If it's me, I'm building towards either Mania in '18 or '19 and a Charlotte/Asuka match that you quite literally let open the show (not the pre-show, the main card) - give it some prominence and more importantly give it some quality time.  You let them work 20-25 minutes (I'd basically work it conceptually like a 30-minute Ironman match but without the actual Ironman stip, just sub false-finishes for scoring finishes), let them sell their butts off, and go get Flair/Steamboat superfan Brian Kendrick (go listen to him breakdown the match with Stone Cold on Steve's pod from last week or the week before, it's really insightful) to produce the match and let it be an homage to Flair/Steamboat.

That's something that, unfortunately because they try to shoehorn as many names on the card as possible, the women's division hasn't really had yet and needs in order to legitimate it... a true Wrestlemania moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The LBC    136
On 9/15/2017 at 5:53 AM, tom cody said:

Asuka would have been better placed on Smackdown. A feud between her and Charlotte would be quite good IMO.

it's coming, but if you put her on SD all people are going to want to see is that and when they don't get it quickly (because, unfortunately, most wrestling fans these days have the patience of my four year old twins), they'll turn on one of the two.  You put Asuka on Smackdown right now and people are going to already be booking her vs Charlotte for Survivor Series and content to see quick steps taken to that (i.e. get the belt off Natty quick with a rushed Charlotte/Natty program that can - because we've seen the quality matches they're capable of with one another - make a good amount of money and do plenty to reestablish Charlotte, then just as quickly vault Asuka to the title picture, and while they're at it waste Carmella's briefcase so she's not a threat to intervene).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PFM18    56

Thought both Raw and Smackdown were really good this week. A few points on each:

Raw

  • Great match to kick off Raw between Roman Reigns and Jason Jordan. Jason Jordan is really showing the talent he's got in the ring and hopefully WWE keep supporting him on Raw. I was convinced he was destined for a heel turn but I don't think that's the best way for him to go right now. They should keep him face, maybe give him an IC Title run and let him have some good matches with that, before the inevitable heel turn going against Kurt Angle. 
  • John Cena and Roman Reigns promos continue to be interesting, Cena obviously having the free reign on his promos. Should be a really good match. If they're planning on having them face each other later (i.e. Wrestlemania) then I would have Cena win here before having Reigns win later on.
  • Not surprised Asuka is going to Raw. Thought that would be the case. I would have her progress through the women's division unbeaten before challenging for the Raw Women's title at Wrestlemania. Hopefully the unbeaten streak continues to mean something on the main roster. Hopefully also means Ember Moon will go to Smackdown.
  • Braun should be the Universal Champion following No Mercy. It was brilliant seeing his dominance against both Brock and Cena. Do fear though that the way he's looking dominant against Lesnar means he's losing at the PPV. Hope WWE give him the belt though as it would mean Raw has a full time World Champion and the storyline would be who could stop Braun Strowman.
  • Interesting to see Miz's promo on Enzo. Obviously WWE wanted to give Enzo a public dressing down and they certainly did that. Congratulations to the Miz and Maryse on their new arrival. 

Smackdown

  • Looking forward to the upcoming AJ Styles/Baron Corbin feud for the US Title. Think it could be a good one and hopefully will go for a while before Corbin wins the title and AJ moves on to the World Title picture.
  • Nakamura has to win the WWE title at HIAC. Mahal's segment on Smackdown just reiterated how poor he is as a champion. He just hasn't been good enough. The sooner somebody takes the belt off him the better. 
  • Not sure what to think about Dolph Ziggler's new entrance mock ups. I just don't see them going anywhere. Just feels like they've thrown him out there with this as they have nothing else for him.
  • Good to see Chad Gable hasn't been forgotten since Jason Jordan went to Raw. Hope he and Benjamin have a good run as a tag team before having some good matches with each other when one turns on the other.
  • What a segment to end the show. Great way to enhance the upcoming Shane/Owens feud. Vince gets a lot of criticism but you have to give him credit for the way he'll get involved to enhance characters and story lines and also it was great to see such a moment happen on Smackdown. One of the benefits of the brand split was so Smackdown could become relevant and that segment certainly was.

As stated thought both shows were good this week and looking forward to both No Mercy and Hell in a Cell. Both shows looking really interesting before the build up to Survivor Series in November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tom cody    17

Yeah, Mahal's run as champ has to end and soon. Guy's been champ for 3-4 months now and has done nothing to improve himself at all. That segment on Smackdown this week as absolutely terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tom cody    17

RIP to the Brain. As far as managers and wrestling color guys go he may have been the best. Was 72 and had battle cancer for a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Texansfan713    26

rip to the brain. the greatest manager of all time and one of the best announcers. he was definitely the funniest.  he will definitely be missed.

 

 

Edited by Texansfan713

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×