Warriors to acquire D'Angelo Russell from Nets

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Still waiting for an answer on this. Does anyone know?? You must not be able to

NBA salary cap is more complicated than our tax codes 

This was a great trade. Russel is 23 years old and is by far the warriors most talented young player at this point. He's the kind of talent they haven't had access to drafting so low the last 6-7 years 

I honestly love that he's a former Laker too. It's going to make the Lakers look soooo bad in a few years.

Steve kerr will get his hands on him, and curry will show him what it's like to be a professional. 

Yes you can go over the cap via trade if the player you are acquiring comes with Bird rights which I think Durant does.

If you’re asking about DLo I believe he does too.

Edited by MKnight82

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Still waiting for an answer on this. Does anyone know?? You must not be able to

NBA salary cap is more complicated than our tax codes 

Any team acquiring a player via S&T if they're above the "apron" which is ~$6M above the luxury tax.  As long as the Warriors are a bit under $139M after the trade, they'll be fine.  By dumping Andre Iguodala, they come in right under that apron and barely squeeze D'Angelo Russell.  The problem is that the Warriors lose the ability to use their MLE.

8 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

maybe a 5th year of KD?

otherwise maybe just helping dlo

or maybe gave them an exception to use

I would assume the Warriors are dealing some sort of pick(s) to Brooklyn as part of a S&T swap since the Warriors couldn't sign with them outright.

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Gotta assume the Warriors trade him eventually 

Definitely an option for sure.

If Russell continues to play at the level he did last year or even improves some, he won't be all that hard to move. But in the mean time, the Warriors get another shot creator and shooter to take some pressure of Steph. The team is still in championship mode despite not having Durant and Klay coming off the ACL injury. It could be naive to expect Klay to return in form next season but if he does, then they at least have a shot in the playoffs.Long shot? Sure, but the trio of Steph/Klay/Dray haven't been an easy out for ANYONE. 

This feels right to me. You get DLo as your band-aid keeping you afloat while Klay is out, then flip him midseason when Klay is coming back for guys who can play defense - maybe to Minnesota for Covington + pieces if they can get off of Wiggins or Deng/Teague by then. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

This feels right to me. You get DLo as your band-aid keeping you afloat while Klay is out, then flip him midseason when Klay is coming back for guys who can play defense - maybe to Minnesota for Covington + pieces if they can get off of Wiggins or Deng/Teague by then. 

It gives them flexibility for next season. 

But if you are DLO, you would have to know this was a possibility so why would he agree to come to GS over going somewhere like Minny where he wouldn't be moved anytime soon?

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But if you are DLO, you would have to know this was a possibility so why would he agree to come to GS over going somewhere like Minny where he wouldn't be moved anytime soon?

He wasn't getting that contract from Minnesota, unless Minnesota could manage to flip Andrew Wiggins elsewhere.  I actually wonder if Kawhi opts to go to the Lakers or Clippers if the Raptors would agree to S&T for a LARGE TPE.  And with that large TPE, they could swallow Andrew Wiggins' deal.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm guessing Minny wasn't close enough to finding takers for Wiggins or Dieng/Teague to open up the space needed to sign DLo and he felt like he needed to jump on a max offer before he ran out of options. The only other path for him was the Lakers if they struck out on Kawhi but he was going to see even less of the ball there than he will in Golden State. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

yah i think it was mutually beneficial bc he locked in a max deal that he wasn't getting otherwise

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He wasn't getting that contract from Minnesota, unless Minnesota could manage to flip Andrew Wiggins elsewhere.  I actually wonder if Kawhi opts to go to the Lakers or Clippers if the Raptors would agree to S&T for a LARGE TPE.  And with that large TPE, they could swallow Andrew Wiggins' deal.

7 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I'm guessing Minny wasn't close enough to finding takers for Wiggins or Dieng/Teague to open up the space needed to sign DLo and he felt like he needed to jump on a max offer before he ran out of options. The only other path for him was the Lakers if they struck out on Kawhi but he was going to see even less of the ball there than he will in Golden State. 

I mean Minnesota by all reports thought they were in the race for DLO....until they weren't. So not sure if this is it. Seems like he just wanted to come to GS and thought it would be an better opportunity for him.

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

yah i think it was mutually beneficial bc he locked in a max deal that he wasn't getting otherwise

Think so? What kind of offer were the TWolves expecting to give him then? 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Minnesota by all reports thought they were in the race for DLO....until they weren't. So not sure if this is it. Seems like he just wanted to come to GS and thought it would be an better opportunity for him.

Think so? What kind of offer were the TWolves expecting to give him then? 

I mean the T-wolves need to move contract in the NBA to get close to max space. 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

I mean the T-wolves need to move contract in the NBA to get close to max space. 

But by all reports they thought they would be able to make moves to sign DLO. The Warriors swooped in and they never got their chance.

Whatever, I'm happy he will be in a Warriors uniform for at least a season lol.