Green Bay Packers 2019 Offensive Line

Shanedorf

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course I'm grasping on straws, because your opinion always has to be right and you don't accept when you arent.

Really, that's you're response? You're a mod and you post that type of nonsense- gees o petes.

Just now, vegas492 said:

About Bulaga...I can't help but feel that he's the new Clifton.  Still very good when "right".  But aging and he does get knicked.  But we played and paid Cliffy for a long time, and rightly so.  

Clifton was much more durable. He only missed time from that blindside Sapp hit (hipp) and his last season with the hammy-. He had knee issues but played through them and played well.

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

About Bulaga...I can't help but feel that he's the new Clifton.  Still very good when "right".  But aging and he does get knicked.  But we played and paid Cliffy for a long time, and rightly so.  

Bulaga has been elite this year and last. He's not shown signs of aging. Injuries will always be his downfall, but more often than not he plays through them.

26 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Clifton was much more durable. He only missed time from that blindside Sapp hit (hipp) and his last season with the hammy-. He had knee issues but played through them and played well.

I"m not sure that above is true.

I remember him being dinged quite a bit later in his career, not just the Sapp hit.

Played in 12 games in 2009.

Played in 16 games in 2010.

Played in 6 games in 2011.  Done after that.

My main point about Cliff vs. Bulaga was that we paid Cliffy despite him being knicked at the end.  I don't know why they wouldn't do that with Bulaga.  He's playing at a very high level now and has the entire season.  But...much season left.

Easy to worry about that later and enjoy the ride now.

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course I'm grasping on straws, because your opinion always has to be right and you don't accept when you arent. He had trouble staying in front of his man.... because he was false stepping. A vet like Bulaga does not false step. He was stepping towards guys that were being picked up by Turner, or the TE, then trying to recover back to his man. The line was blowing audibles, that's what happens when you play at Arrowhead. Linsley can't stand up and make signals like Rodgers can. This week when we play in the least advantageous home field advantage in the NFL, that won't be a problem. This will be an unofficial home game.

Also you have no idea until you have proof as to when Bulaga got injured. All we know is it got to the point where he needed it taken care of late in the 4th. If he said something about how it happened late in the game, I'll gladly be proven wrong there. Could very well have happened earlier and he fought through it until he couldn't anymore. Bulaga is a warrior, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Why are you entertaining this discussion?

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I remember him being dinged quite a bit later in his career, not just the Sapp hit.

My main point about Cliff vs. Bulaga was that we paid Cliffy despite him being knicked at the end.  I don't know why they wouldn't do that with Bulaga.  He's playing at a very high level now and has the entire season.  But...much season left.

Bulaga has played 88% of snaps this season. Why are we acting like he died? He broke his finger. He missed less than a quarter of play?

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bulaga has played 88% of snaps this season. Why are we acting like he died? He broke his finger. He missed less than a quarter of play?

Where am I acting like he "died"?

I'm saying that he's playing at a high level and we have a history of paying our tackles, even if they miss some time.  Regardless of Bulaga's snaps and his injury history, we do have a history of paying older tackles who are getting it done.  And Bulaga is more than getting it done.  He's doing it at a high level this year.

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Really, it's not even close.

I'm just going by memory, but Bulaga has missed much more time his first 8 seasons than Clifton did hid his 12 seasons in the NFL. That includes Clifton missing 10 games his last season. If you just look at Clifton's first 8 seasons with Bulaga's first 8 seasons, Bulaga laps Clifton a couple times for missed time.

And, when Bulaga gets nicked up, his play goes does. Remember all the talk two years ago, when he was coming off another season ending injury, about cutting him to save cap space. That was because how he was hurt so much and not nearly as effective when dinged up... Clifton's knees where shot at the end of his 12 year career but was still playing well at LT.

All in all, Bulaga is a heck of a RT when healthy and a great Packer. We definitely want to enjoy the ride this year and wish him good luck in free agency next year.

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

All in all, Bulaga is a heck of a RT when healthy and a great Packer. We definitely want to enjoy the ride this year and wish him good luck in free agency next year

RTs of Bulaga's quality do not just fall off trees. The chance of getting a mid-round pick to play well immediately, is as near zero as you can get. Bulaga is looking pretty healthy and playing as well as he ever has. If you were to dump Bulaga after this year then you have two options.

First, you could spend a first rounder on a new RT and hope he can play straight away (with how late the Packers are likely to draft this year, even a 2nd is too late). This hope is unlikely, as few college tackles play well straight away - most benefit a lot from even one year in an NFL strength and conditioning program (see Bakhtiari). Second, you could overpay a veteran to stand in for a season or two............and given the desperate need for good tackles you will overpay big-time. Remember, remember, Newhouse is still in the league playing tackle.

I would much, I repeat MUCH rather have Bulaga who is only 30, stay on. It would probably cost somewhere in the $10m pa for 3 years bracket (my somewhat uneducated guess). I'd still get a RT this year (somewhere in rounds 2-4) as a developmental RT that should be more than ready once Bulaga is gone, but still talented enough to stand in for BB if he gets dinged up for a bit somewhere in those 3 years.

What I really don't want to see is Rodgers being hit and sidelined early in the season, if a new/different RT is getting steamrollered. Imagine the state Rodgers would be in RIGHT NOW if we had some less than average Joe in there (for example, Turner) and facing the murderers row of DEs we already have this season. Rodgers is 36 in one month, he must be protected more than when he was in his 20's. Bulaga would be expensive, but a very comfortable security blanket for 2020-2022 (at the end of which he'd be just 33). If Bulaga's play were showing signs of slipping, I'd be less keen, but he is at least as good as at any time in his career.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

12 games played seems really good at first glance, but for some reason missing 4 games seems like an eternity for your OT. Of course it depends on your depth, but 99% of the time the dropoff is way more impactful than you would like. This isn't an indictment of Bulaga. I'm leaving that up to the medical staff.

Edited by cannondale