Training Camp 2019

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Mack was actually an elite athlete, Ferrell isn't. We also shouldn't compare a rookie to the best edge player in the league.

True but he wasn't a refined DE and it showed. Obviously he put in the work which is why he didn't become Vernon Gholson. I think it also helped having Justin Tuck on the roster to help Mack. Something similar is happening with Brown and Miller.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mack =/= Ferrell

It's like saying you shouldn't doubt your 6th round QB because Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round and struggled in his first preseason. There's no correlation. Mack was a much better player than Ferrell coming out of college. 

I don't buy that. Might have had better tools, but Ferrell was a premier leader and payer on a Nat'l Championship team. He was a great college player. 

Problem is with fans, they want flash... they want edge bend because that's the cliché draft term now with every idiot with a twitter account being a "draft analyst" now 

Ferrell is a technician with his hands and has an arsenal of moves.

This whole argument is funny... it's all based on the thinking that Miller didn't improve, lol

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fwiw, I haven't seen many of the writers mention Pierson-El, but saw some videos of practice and he was making some awesome catches. Still on the outside looking in.

Pierson-El is also know for returning kicks... outside looking in but if he balls out, could maybe take Dwayne Harris spot

13 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

True but he wasn't a refined DE and it showed. Obviously he put in the work which is why he didn't become Vernon Gholson. I think it also helped having Justin Tuck on the roster to help Mack. Something similar is happening with Brown and Miller.

The only issue that Mack had as a rookie was finishing plays, he was dominant everywhere else. As a rookie, he ranked 6th in QB pressures, 2nd in tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage, was an elite run defender and graded out as the best OLB in the NFL according to PFF. 

15 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Ferrell reminds me of Bradley Chubb. Same size, win technique type of players. Remember Chubb started off the year slow, even shut down by Kolton Miller. Only had 1.5 sacks the first 5 game but finished the year with 12. Hopefully Ferrell has the same linear regression

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't buy that. Might have had better tools, but Ferrell was a premier leader and payer on a Nat'l Championship team. He was a great college player. 

As I said in my previous post, Mack had one of the best rookie seasons for a defensive player in NFL history. Ferrell will have to be a top 10 run defender, top 10 in pressures, and top 10 in TFL to match what Mack did as a rookie. 

I think the comparisons to Mack are stupid. Ferrell isn't him and to be quite honest no one here even thought that Mack would be what he is today. No one. 5 years ago at this time if some one offered Clowney for Mack (heck Manziel for Mack) pretty much everyone would have taken that. For all we know Ferrell becomes LT 2.0 but we don't know. Let the young guy play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I think the comparisons to Mack are stupid. Ferrell isn't him and to be quite honest no one here even thought that Mack would be what he is today. No one. 5 years ago at this time if some one offered Clowney for Mack (heck Manziel for Mack) pretty much everyone would have taken that. For all we know Ferrell becomes LT 2.0 but we don't know. Let the young guy play.

Ferrell will always be compared to Mack throughout his career because of how this whole saga has played out. Most probably would've taken Clowney for Mack because he looked like a transcendent talent but I highly doubt anyone would've traded him for Manziel. 

The issue with Ferrell is that he was overdrafted and was a good but not great prospect. It's not like these concerns just started during camp, I'd say most of the fanbase thought it was a reach. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mack was actually an elite athlete, Ferrell isn't. We also shouldn't compare a rookie to the best edge player in the league.

This is your mistake.  No one is comparing Ferrell to Mack now.  That's absurd.  We are comparing them as rookies.  It's like people forget that Mack wasn't a world beater as a rookie, hell he wasn't even a DE for crying out loud.