Training Camp 2019

RaidersAreOne

“On offense, I have tackle Trent Brown, quarterback Derek Carr, tight end Darren Waller and receivers J.J. Nelson, Tyrell Williams and Marcell Ateman. On defense, I picked linebacker Vontaze Burfict and defensive backs Lamarcus Joyner, Daryl Worley and Trayvon Mullen. I also think second-year pass rusher Arden Key has been coming on the last week, and is holding his ground against the run and showing some explosiveness. And, yes, he looks a little bigger.”

^Vic on TC standouts so far. So many players to discuss other than Fleeland Carrol

9 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

You continue to fail to realize the impact Mayock made.

If Mayock was on NFLN instead of inside the Raiders front office, the "most people" you refer to wouldn't have had Ferrell in the 15-25 range. Mayock would have been on NFLN pounding the table as the 2nd best edge rusher behind Bosa and those "most people" would have followed suit like they do every year. 

Teams had Ferrell A LOT higher then Fans and Media. 

I highly doubt Mayock's rank would of had a significant impact on other's rankings--especially other big network analysts. That theory also undercuts the work other draft analysts do--particularly those at Mayock's former network who often have wildly different rankings from each other.

Also, there's no evidence Ferrell was a lot higher on NFL teams' boards than on the media's.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I highly doubt Mayock's rank would of had a significant impact on other's rankings--especially other big network analysts. That theory also undercuts the work other draft analysts do--particularly those at Mayock's former network who often have wildly different rankings from each other.

Also, there's no evidence Ferrell was a lot higher on NFL teams' boards than on the media's.

I like Ferrell...

but to add add to your point, so many draft voices are heard on Twitter and podcasts now that I’m not sure Mayock would really have the sway to move the needle much anymore. None of the major network personalities did this past draft, at least in my bubble  

Which is fine. I’d rather him run my favorite team than to be like Kyle Crabbs. 

13 hours ago, true2form said:
23 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I don't recall this to be honest, I think a number of people were a little underwhelmed with his statistical production (though his overall game was good) and I distinctly remember when JDR came in he said something along the lines of Mack has to convert the pressures into sacks moving forward if he wants to be considered elite and that the 4 sacks he had wasn't enough considering his talent. Of course Mack then exploded the next couple seasons.

With regard to Ferrell, obviously we're all expecting something very good and he has enormous shoes to fill. He'll always be compared to Mack due to the situation with the trade and Ferrell being a top 5 pick, whether that is fair or not who know's but I agree we should exercise a little patience as even the best edge rusher in the league did take a while to get going. I have a feeling that Ferrell will be a pretty good DE for us but we'll always feel slightly uninspired as we'll always be thinking back to Mack who was a once in a generation type player. 

Well I went back and looked a bit.  It wasn't the majority like I said, but there were quite a few unimpressed with Mack.  Either way, the point remains.  Give Ferrell a freaking chance to develop before labeling him as anything. 

I don't think it's fair to compare the two, especially since Ferrell is not part of the Mack trade.  We could have easily drafted Ferrell even if we had kept Mack.

I don't disagree with your point, we do need to give Ferrell a good chance to develop, and I think in time he becomes a very good player, however, like it or loathe it he will forever be tied at the hip with Mack. He was a top 5 pick to replace arguably the best DE in the NFL who was also a top 5 pick. They will always be compared which may not be fair to Ferrell as he's his own player but it's unavoidable given the circumstances. Ferrell will be very harshly judged by the media unfortunately as he's unlikely to be the same calibre of player that Mack was/is.

12 hours ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Sounds like Darren Waller continues his stellar camp. Would be incredible if he can step in at Cook's level as a receiving threat.

It would be great if the much hyped Waller could step up, he's made a number of splash plays but we haven't heard anything I don't recall about the TEs in blocking drills or going against the edge guys. As much as he seems to be a receiving threat and a matchup problem he'll have to block some too if he wants to get a lot of playing time. 

10 hours ago, mct288 said:

I like Ferrell...

but to add add to your point, so many draft voices are heard on Twitter and podcasts now that I’m not sure Mayock would really have the sway to move the needle much anymore. None of the major network personalities did this past draft, at least in my bubble  

Which is fine. I’d rather him run my favorite team than to be like Kyle Crabbs. 

Since when is running a 40 more important than tape showing Ferrel destroying OT’s in the SEC.

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Eh the Raiders used Jared Cook in a way so he wouldn’t have to block and I’m sure that’s what they will do with Waller. 

Join practice today. Gruden said yesterday that Waller won’t practice.  

We also absolutely had to keep Cook on the field because we had no other receiving threats. 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, OG_C2X said:

You continue to fail to realize the impact Mayock made.

If Mayock was on NFLN instead of inside the Raiders front office, the "most people" you refer to wouldn't have had Ferrell in the 15-25 range. Mayock would have been on NFLN pounding the table as the 2nd best edge rusher behind Bosa and those "most people" would have followed suit like they do every year. 

Teams had Ferrell A LOT higher then Fans and Media. 

Mayock himself said that we tried to trade down but couldn't find a fair package. Which leads me to believe that our front office knew we could've had Ferrell later but reached on him at #4 when it was clear a trade down was out of the picture. 

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

It would be great if the much hyped Waller could step up, he's made a number of splash plays but we haven't heard anything I don't recall about the TEs in blocking drills or going against the edge guys. As much as he seems to be a receiving threat and a matchup problem he'll have to block some too if he wants to get a lot of playing time. 

In a recent interview, Waller said that improving as a blocker has been one of his main goals this offseason. We'll probably use Moraeu/Waller in the same way that we used Smith/Cook last season. 

Wow some encouraging stuff thus far from the Rams joint practice. 

• PJ Hall blew up one of their guards. 

• Arden Key beat OT David Edwards with an inside move.

• Quinten Bell beat OT David Edwards with a straight speed rush. 

• Ferrell beat Whitworth with a bull rush and then almost had him with a speed rush but slipped.

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

• Ferrell beat Whitworth with a bull rush and then almost had him with a speed rush but slipped.

Then some like this lol

Edited by SimonGruber

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell sucks