Training Camp 2019

RaidersAreOne

Just now, big_palooka said:

And that's the problem.... expecting too much out of rookies and a second year player. Same as last year. Expecting Key to produce in a big role.... how'd that work out?

I agree. We should've done more to address the pass rush but it's one of those things that you have to build through the draft. The only way you can even get above-average pass rushers is a massive overpay. The only thing that I like about our DL is that we have enough depth to keep everyone fresh throughout the game/season. Key/Maruo/Ferrell/Crosby/Mayowa rotating on the edge and Jelly/Hankins/Hurst/Hall rotating inside. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

And that's the problem.... expecting too much out of rookies and a second year player. Same as last year. Expecting Key to produce in a big role.... how'd that work out?

I think Key and hall make a decent jump in sacks. Maybe 3-5 for hall and 5-7 for key.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even if we double our sack production from last year we'll still have the worst pass rush in the league.

Gotta start somewhere. U don't go from 13 sacks to 45. So if we had 26 I'd be happy.

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

I think Key and hall make a decent jump in sacks. Maybe 3-5 for hall and 5-7 for key.

Based on what? You're hoping... but fact is both were extremely underwhelming as rookies and roles will be reduced.

Of course, they have no place to go but up they were that unproductive as rookies. I don't anticipate any major improvements from either that changes the shape of the defense in any meaningful way. 

This defense lack star power on defense. Their ceiling if everything goes right, is average which isn't good enough in the AFC West.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Based on what? You're hoping... but fact is both were extremely underwhelming as rookies and roles will be reduced.

Players don't improve? Neither guy should've played as much as they did but were forced into action. Typically guys make a big jump between years 1 and 2. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Players don't improve? Neither guy should've played as much as they did but were forced into action. Typically guys make a big jump between years 1 and 2. 

Not all players improve, no. That should be obvious. Some even go backwards either physically or mentally.

I think Mo makes a big jump because he actually showed talent to do so. I saw nothing in Hall or Key that said this guy is going to show a marked improvement. In fact Key looks the same size, despite saying he's added weight according to the beat writers. And Hall came in heavy and out of shape. So why should would I expect a "big" jump for 2 players who didn't handle their business in the offseason?

I expected a marginal improvement. A big jump is a stretch. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Of course, they have no place to go but up they were that unproductive as rookies. I don't anticipate any major improvements from either that changes the shape of the defense in any meaningful way. 

This defense lack star power on defense. Their ceiling if everything goes right, is average which isn't good enough in the AFC West.

Natural player progression. If you watch games Key could of easily had 5 last year but had trouble finishing QBs in grasp down stretch run of season. I don't think it's completely unrealistic for a guy to get better and have more sacks in a better situational pass rusher role. 

Pj should also get better and if healthy should be better. He is just my pick to have a good second year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

Natural player progression. If you watch games Key could of easily had 5 last year but had trouble finishing QBs in grasp down stretch run of season. I don't think it's completely unrealistic for a guy to get better and have more sacks in a better situational pass rusher role. 

Pj should also get better and if healthy should be better. He is just my pick to have a good second year. 

I question if people actually watched Key or just look at his stats.

• Like 2