Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Lol, we better fire Gute and/or Pettine on the spot then if we're penciling in a practice squad caliber player as our starting DE.

Realistically I could see Adams being anywhere from around 20-50 by the end of the year.

I don't view 130 as a practice squader (though Adams hasn't been any better than that over his first 2 years).  I view him as a bottom of the depth chart type of player which is EXACTLY the guy we've seen for 95% + of his NFL snaps.  I'm not buying the idea that he's going to go from basically useless to really good NFL starter overnight.  

I could be wrong but I prefer to see consistent play on the field before I predict a guy to be a high end NFL starter.  By predicting in the 20-50 range you are saying that he'd start on any team in the league and could be the best interior defensive lineman on more than 1/4 of the league.  That's a rich opinion and I find no way how that's based on anything we've seen on the field from Adams.  

Enough about Spriggs. This is an actual quote from the Bears' forum...MAYBE BAKHTIARI!!!

"Outside of Rodgers, Adams, HHCD and maybe Bahktiari (sp?) would any position players from the 2018 Packers team start on the 2019 Bears? I guess Daniels over Nichols too. Is this version of Jimmy Graham better than a healthy Trey Burton at this point? I’d say probably not. So 5 position players out of 23 (considering nickel CB as well). How many wins does that 2018 roster get with a replacement level starting QB instead of Rodgers? Not many. "

2 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Enough about Spriggs. This is an actual quote from the Bears' forum...MAYBE BAKHTIARI!!!

"Outside of Rodgers, Adams, HHCD and maybe Bahktiari (sp?) would any position players from the 2018 Packers team start on the 2019 Bears? I guess Daniels over Nichols too. Is this version of Jimmy Graham better than a healthy Trey Burton at this point? I’d say probably not. So 5 position players out of 23 (considering nickel CB as well). How many wins does that 2018 roster get with a replacement level starting QB instead of Rodgers? Not many. "

Nobody cares about the Bears, much less their fans

Yeah my guess with Spriggs was that they knew they were going to move on from him after this year and the trap injury was looking like it was going to take a significant chunk out of this season. Cut him and settle so that you don’t have a lame duck player that isn’t even going to play taking up cap space. 

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't view 130 as a practice squader (though Adams hasn't been any better than that over his first 2 years).  I view him as a bottom of the depth chart type of player which is EXACTLY the guy we've seen for 95% + of his NFL snaps.  I'm not buying the idea that he's going to go from basically useless to really good NFL starter overnight.  

I could be wrong but I prefer to see consistent play on the field before I predict a guy to be a high end NFL starter.  By predicting in the 20-50 range you are saying that he'd start on any team in the league and could be the best interior defensive lineman on more than 1/4 of the league.  That's a rich opinion and I find no way how that's based on anything we've seen on the field from Adams.  

I'll say Adams could be slightly below solid. Hurts, but doesn't bleed bad. Top 100, maybe just barely inside 75 if he has a good year.

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

True, wasn't great but plenty of the long, leaner dancing bear types have developed that in the league. Nate Solder comes to mind. Our staff never developed him.

...because he was hurt all the time. Then he has one year where he made it past Week 8 and showed his weaknesses, then he marginally improved last year.

Anyone else notice that every time we cut someone, we immediately sign a RB? I was hoping we would take a flier on D'Onta Foreman. 

11 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

People are always going to be homering things up.  That's never going to change.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Gute's Kid:  Daad?

Gute:  Yes?

Gute's Kid:  Where's the dog?  I can't find Duke.

Gute:  (Sigh)  I know you thought you had a real dog.  But, in reality, you had a dead hamster in a cage.  You called him a dog, and it was cute for a while, but you are growing up fast and it is no longer cute.  And...the hamster was dead.  

Gute's Kid:  Why do you have to be so mean?

Gute:  It's my job.  And...here's your new puppy.  It's awkward.  A little clumsy.  But, if we take care of it the right way, you may soon have the real dog that you wanted.

Pretty much

Spriggs was ok most of the time. He did some things well. But he had lapses so bad that he’s literally going to get our QB killed it he plays regularly. He had to go.

Now, Lafleur was asked what he liked about his team in the joint practices and he said he’s impressed with the offensive line. Not just the first team, but the second and third team as well. He said we controlled the line of scrimmage. That was before Spriggs was released. Anyone who thinks the Packers don’t like their depth aren’t paying attention to what the Packers are saying about their depth.

11 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

I'll say Adams could be slightly below solid. Hurts, but doesn't bleed bad. Top 100, maybe just barely inside 75 if he has a good year.

That's a very fair prediction IMO.  

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Lol, we better fire Gute and/or Pettine on the spot then if we're penciling in a practice squad caliber player as our starting DE.

Realistically I could see Adams being anywhere from around 20-50 by the end of the year.

a practice squad caliber player is probably not going to get a sack at any point in the season. I'm pencilling Adams around a 60 right now. He's got a chip on his shoulder so I have my eraser ready.

In short, because they like their depth so much, Spriggs wasn’t even worth one of 90 roster spots to Gute. He’d rather have a camp body at RB so practice can function smoothly without fatigue to his 7th string running back than keep Spriggs around. They don’t like him. Period. 

33 minutes ago, SSG said:

130 means every team has 4 better IDL and some teams have 5. Most teams don't even have that many IDLs on their active roster.

And yes, it's pretty obvious the staff feels good about his ability as a starter in 2019. I trust their assessment more than anyone here (especially someone who ranks him as a priority PS player....). I think he will fall somewhere in the range of bottom tier #1 starter or average/slightly below average #2 starter this year.

Archived