Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Feet >>>>> hands when it comes to LT. You don't find many heavy handed LTs. That's more your guards and RT quality. Not saying I disagree but when I'm grading a pure LT like Spriggs, hands and punch aren't super high on my list.

You never saw Clifton practice. His punch was literally like a gun going off. 

Edited by cannondale

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I think it's pretty clear what Gute is doing and it makes sense to me. 

I'm fine with what he did to Spriggs. Even Daniels. I'm just saying you don't just cut a guy with a year left just because he's not in your future plans. It might play in some, but it's not a whole reason. Especially when you don't save real deal dollars.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I'd argue that being waived with an injury settlement or being outright cut ultimately creates the exact same end result which is a release from the team and his contract. In other words the player is no longer on the roster. Surely this means Norm has to be a viking fan.

If we keep him on IR than Norm is safe. xD

This is the exact phrasing that Norm used:

Hey you did find it!! I'm safe!!!

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm fine with what he did to Spriggs. Even Daniels. I'm just saying you don't just cut a guy with a year left just because he's not in your future plans. It might play in some, but it's not a whole reason. Especially when you don't save real deal dollars.

Of course that's not the only reason. In Spriggs' case, you don't have to look far for the other reasons. If he's as great as some think, he wouldn't have cleared waivers.

37 minutes ago, Norm said:

I think it might have something to do with Gute and co wanting other guys on field instead of them. Though Daniel's is hard for me to see other than money/injury. For sure with Spriggs.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Not for teams contending for a SB with a HOF QB. The cutting of Daniels and insertion of Adams into the starting lineup means that Gute feels we can get similar production from Adams for a fraction of the cost, or he wouldn't have cut Daniels.

There isn't an ounce of truth to this.  Just this offseason......New England cut multiple players for cap relief (Clayborn and Dwayne Allen).  Kansas City cut Justin Houston for cap relief.  The LA Rams cut Mark Barron.  The Vikings cut Mike Remmers.  Baltimore cut Michael Crabtree despite having one of the NFL's least talented WR cores.  Dallas cut Allen Hurns.  You can literally go on for days of examples of good teams who cut players for cap relief.

Daniels wasn't a scheme fit and his play had slipped.  Green Bay was strapped for cash after one of the most reckless offseason spending sprees in their franchise history.  On top of that they have to find a way to  extend Kenny Clark ASAP which is likely gonna be a 17-18 million dollar per year deal.  

20 minutes ago, SSG said:

There isn't an ounce of truth to this.  Just this offseason......New England cut multiple players for cap relief (Clayborn and Dwayne Allen).  Kansas City cut Justin Houston for cap relief.  The LA Rams cut Mark Barron.  The Vikings cut Mike Remmers.  Baltimore cut Michael Crabtree despite having one of the NFL's least talented WR cores.  Dallas cut Allen Hurns.  You can literally go on for days of examples of good teams who cut players for cap relief.

Daniels wasn't a scheme fit and his play had slipped.  Green Bay was strapped for cash after one of the most reckless offseason spending sprees in their franchise history.  On top of that they have to find a way to  extend Kenny Clark ASAP which is likely gonna be a 17-18 million dollar per year deal.  

I don't think one of those deals was unreasonable as to describe them as reckless

• Like 4

No one claimed Jason Spriggs, so he reverts back to the #Packers IR list.

Ross Uglem:

Seems kinda inconsequential, does it not? Spriggs contract will expire at the end of the season (I think) and he apparently can’t come back using the IR rule so he’s kinda gone either way.

So, the Spriggs stuff is all squared away now?  He was waived-injured because he's injured?  Too bad for him.  

So they have like 5 days to reach an injury settlement, at which time he becomes FA, or else they can leave him on IR and pay him full-year salary.  It's 2 IR-recalls per season, right?  If they think that healthy Spriggs is a capable 4th tackle, maybe they just leave him on IR and recall him in the event that both Bakhti and Bulaga get injured and they need a backup other than Light?  Or as Vegas suggests, perhaps if B+B are both injured, and they need another tackle beyond Light, they switch over one of the interior guys.  Probably the latter.  

Have heard a lot favorable regarding Light.  In the D+D model, there are only so many years of improvement.  There are exceptions to every rule, and injuries interrupt development and cause exceptions all the time.  But usually, if you're a D+D guy and you're hitting expiring year 4 and you're not positioned to help, it's time to try somebody younger and ascending.  Light is that guy, for now.  Whether he'll end up ascending far enough to ever actually be good enough to contend to start, or at least be an acceptable 3rd tackle,  time will tell.  

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of ending up resigning Bulaga for 2020.

Edited by craig

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think one of those deals was unreasonable as to describe them as reckless

It was one of the most expensive off seasons in our franchise's history and we didn't exactly get a difference maker.  I'd argue the Za'Darius Smith contract was absolutely reckless given how mediocre of a football player he'd been over his career.  He was an ordinary player before an out of the ordinary contract year and now he's being paid like a perennial all pro.  There is absolutely nothing impressive about his NFL career.  Contracts don't generally work out when you are having to write huge checks to average players who just had by far their best year in a contract year.

Edited by SSG

2 hours ago, SSG said:

There's a pound of truth to it, not an ounce.

Also, I agree KC should be extended, but it's not critical. We have 2 more years of KC guaranteed.

Wow. We  complained year after year when Ted sat on his hands and let all the big fish get away in FA  and this was even when Aaron was on a cap friendly deal and we had money to spend.

Now that we finally have a GM that's aggressive and willing to spend money in FA he's reckless? 

People forget you always overpay in FA because it's a bidding war for the top players. That's what happens when you don't draft well.

Every guy we signed had other suitors. Z. Smith was on the Packers radar even when Ted was in charge. Think I read Ted tried to trade for him one year. 

I'm happy with the haul we got in FA, far from reckless. Guess some people would've been happy with Perry,  an unproductive Matthews and fake tough Daniels who was a bad fit for Pattine's scheme.

• Like 1