Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

130 means every team has 4 better IDL and some teams have 5. Most teams don't even have that many IDLs on their active roster.

And yes, it's pretty obvious the staff feels good about his ability as a starter in 2019. I trust their assessment more than anyone here (especially someone who ranks him as a priority PS player....). I think he will fall somewhere in the range of bottom tier #1 starter or average/slightly below average #2 starter this year.

In my eyes it puts him at the bottom of his depth chart which is essentially where he's been for the entirety of his NFL career.  I think he'd be the 4th or 5th best IDL on most teams.  It would be hard to argue that Adams was any better than our 6th best IDL just last season. 

Funny that you talk about him being ranked close to a PS caliber player.  Last year we seen a practice squad player pass him on the depth chart like he wasn't even on the roster.  This same staff saw Lancaster, an drafted rookie PS guy, as a substantially better option for the defense.  Lancaster played in 5 fewer games and still out snapped Adams by a ridiculous margin.  That's not my opinion of Adams, that is the opinion of the staff and I'm not even a fan of Lancaster.  

At least you are willing to admit that your outlandish opinion wasn't formed based on anything you did or didn't see from Adams on the football field.  

I hope you are right but I've seen nothing from him on the field that would suggest he's going to be the high end starter next year that you are making him out to be.  

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

In my eyes it puts him at the bottom of his depth chart which is essentially where he's been for the entirety of his NFL career.  I think he'd be the 4th or 5th best IDL on most teams.  It would be hard to argue that Adams was any better than our 6th best IDL just last season. 

Funny that you talk about him being ranked close to a PS caliber player.  Last year we seen a practice squad player pass him on the depth chart like he wasn't even on the roster.  This same staff saw Lancaster, an drafted rookie PS guy, as a substantially better option for the defense.  Lancaster played in 5 fewer games and still out snapped Adams by a ridiculous margin.  That's not my opinion of Adams, that is the opinion of the staff and I'm not even a fan of Lancaster.  

At least you are willing to admit that your outlandish opinion wasn't formed based on anything you did or didn't see from Adams on the football field.  

I hope you are right but I've seen nothing from him on the field that would suggest he's going to be the high end starter next year that you are making him out to be.  

Why are you bringing up last year in regards to a player under 26 years old? Last year is completely irrelevant. Lancaster outsnapping him is completely irrelevant. They cut Daniels, if that's not a sign of confidence in Adams, what is??

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Spriggs to me was a coaching strike. I graded him as a round 1 player so I'm not going to criticize Ted.

Guy had 1 weakness, the inside move. He was so athletic and unbeatable around the edge, you could not run the arc on him. How can you not fix the single big flaw he had over 3-4 years??

His hands were pretty awful too

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

His hands were pretty awful too

Feet >>>>> hands when it comes to LT. You don't find many heavy handed LTs. That's more your guards and RT quality. Not saying I disagree but when I'm grading a pure LT like Spriggs, hands and punch aren't super high on my list.

23 minutes ago, SSG said:

Have you seen a lot of him in 2019 so far? I haven't, but I've read about it.

If you've watched a lot of him in 2019 and came to that conclusion (and assuming you know what you are looking at) we might be in trouble.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Feet >>>>> hands when it comes to LT. You don't find many heavy handed LTs. That's more your guards and RT quality. Not saying I disagree but when I'm grading a pure LT like Spriggs, hands and punch aren't super high on my list.

Our tackles don't punch. They're taught to move their feet until the rusher throws their hands inside and then latch on to the outside. This technique, along with just a general poor knowledge of football in general, is why all our division rivals complain bitterly about us holding every play. It's why Bakhtiari putting on enough weight to be able to anchor was so necessary for his development, because that hug technique puts you at a disadvantage to the bullrush. 

Spriggs had the awful habit of trying to punch and getting his arms and hands caught and countered off of, and also lacked the anchor to let guys into his pads and hold up.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are you bringing up last year in regards to a player under 26 years old? Last year is completely irrelevant. Lancaster outsnapping him is completely irrelevant. They cut Daniels, if that's not a sign of confidence in Adams, what is??

We'll agree to disagree that past play should be completely ignored. 

It's convenient that past play is the back bone of some arguments but should be completely ignored in others.  You are really quick to talk about the way GMO started last year for a guy who's suddenly telling me that 100% of what happened last year is irrelevant.  

They cut Daniels because he made a bunch of money and he wasn't earning it.  To give any other reason is disingenuous.  

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

We'll agree to disagree that past play should be completely ignored. 

It's convenient that past play is the back bone of some arguments but should be completely ignored in others.  You are really quick to talk about the way GMO started last year for a guy who's suddenly telling me that 100% of what happened last year is irrelevant.  

They cut Daniels because he made a bunch of money and he wasn't earning it.  To give any other reason is disingenuous.  

I'm not sure what to tell you if you think a GM cuts a player solely based on money without any regard to the players behind him. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Our tackles don't punch. They're taught to move their feet until the rusher throws their hands inside and then latch on to the outside. This technique, along with just a general poor knowledge of football in general, is why all our division rivals complain bitterly about us holding every play. It's why Bakhtiari putting on enough weight to be able to anchor was so necessary for his development, because that hug technique puts you at a disadvantage to the bullrush. 

Spriggs had the awful habit of trying to punch and getting his arms and hands caught and countered off of, and also lacked the anchor to let guys into his pads and hold up.

Yes I agree, the inside counter and anchor was his only real weakness to playing LT, and we never improved him in that regard at all. I just don't fault Ted for Spriggs, I'd be a hypocrite if I did.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes I agree, the inside counter and anchor was his only real weakness to playing LT, and we never improved him in that regard at all. I just don't fault Ted for Spriggs, I'd be a hypocrite if I did.

I'm with you there.  He had the tools and wasn't over drafted.  He just never developed.  With the new scheme I thought he'd do better because it seemed to fit his athletic tools.  You can't impress new coaching when you're 'in the tub'.  Too bad, had high hopes for him.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure what to tell you if you think a GM cuts a player solely based on money without any regard to the players behind him. 

I didn't say solely based on money.  I said money and performance.  Unsure what to tell you if you've never heard of a player who got cut solely because he made a bunch of money and wasn't very good at his job.  I'm sure there are a dozen+ examples of such cuts every single off season.  

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

I didn't say solely based on money.  I said money and performance.  Unsure what to tell you if you've never heard of a player who got cut solely because he made a bunch of money and wasn't very good at his job.  I'm sure there are a dozen+ examples of such cuts every single off season.  

Not for teams contending for a SB with a HOF QB. The cutting of Daniels and insertion of Adams into the starting lineup means that Gute feels we can get similar production from Adams for a fraction of the cost, or he wouldn't have cut Daniels.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not for teams contending for a SB with a HOF QB. The cutting of Daniels and insertion of Adams into the starting lineup means that Gute feels we can get similar production from Adams for a fraction of the cost, or he wouldn't have cut Daniels.

I don't know if that's true or not. Daniels wasn't a scheme fit and cutting him without replacing the cap opens up 10 million to be spent next year. That rollover may have been the real target in this thing.