Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

He was my breakout player choice, I just loved the elite athleticism at his size. I guess that either the injury was serious or he struggled to get the mental part down.

My new breakout player is Ka'dar Hollman, a sub 4.4 CB with good size (6'0", 196) with virtually my own surname and playing well in camp, especially in man-to-man coverage.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Serious question, should we have re-signed Matthews to a 'Smith' contract and kept Perry in your opinion? Or don'e nothing! Serious question as to where you stand on our addressing the EDGE position this off season. 

CM3 signed a multi year deal for 1/3 the yearly cost that Zadarius Smith signed.  Not sure why we'd have had to pay 3X his market value.  Saying that though I'd probably have still moved on despite him being a relative bargain.

I'd have signed Preston Smith and Justin Houston.  I'd also drafted 2 legit edge defenders in the draft.  I'm a die hard Michigan fan and really like Rashan Gary the person but he's a project on the edge IMO.  

I don't mind the Preston Smith signing that much.  While we probably overpaid we didn't pay him like he's a game changer.  IMO he's been the better of the 2 Smith's over their careers.  With Houston you get a dynamic edge rusher. While he's 30, he signed a super affordable 2 year deal.  

I don't understand why my opinion about this contract is so polarizing.  Some think Zadarius Smith is an all world player based on his pressure rate last year.  I think we overpaid based on his inability to get to the QB over his 4 year career.  How many edge rushers that have struggled to get to the QB over their careers got paid like an elite edge rusher in UFA?  I'm sure there have been one or two but I'm having trouble finding an example of a success.  Contract year standouts generally blow up in the new team's face.  

3 hours ago, deathstar said:

I mean, how many times will people fall for this guy.

I don't understand the need to run from differing opinions.  What's the point of a message board if you have to live in a bubble because you can't fathom the idea of someone having a different opinion than your own?   Doesn't seem like that much fun when you require everyone to agree with your assessment and only your assessment. :D

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Sounds like Grant was having issues picking it up and in specials work. Not making the roster as the third back if you're not playing any teams well.

There’s an old saying in the theater business: “rehearsal is when you show the director how much work you’ve done since the last rehearsal.”

Same probably holds true in the hyper-competitive world of football. You’d better show the coaches that you are a) trying, and b) making progress. Or bye... 

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

CM3 signed a multi year deal for 1/3 the yearly cost that Zadarius Smith signed.  Not sure why we'd have had to pay 3X his market value.  Saying that though I'd probably have still moved on despite him being a relative bargain.

I'd have signed Preston Smith and Justin Houston.  I'd also drafted 2 legit edge defenders in the draft.  I'm a die hard Michigan fan and really like Rashan Gary the person but he's a project on the edge IMO.  

I don't mind the Preston Smith signing that much.  While we probably overpaid we didn't pay him like he's a game changer.  IMO he's been the better of the 2 Smith's over their careers.  With Houston you get a dynamic edge rusher. While he's 30, he signed a super affordable 2 year deal.  

I don't understand why my opinion about this contract is so polarizing.  Some think Zadarius Smith is an all world player based on his pressure rate last year.  I think we overpaid based on his inability to get to the QB over his 4 year career.  How many edge rushers that have struggled to get to the QB over their careers got paid like an elite edge rusher in UFA?  I'm sure there have been one or two but I'm having trouble finding an example of a success.  Contract year standouts generally blow up in the new team's face.  

I think Z has the least chance of blowing up in our faces imo. I know its only training camp. But the guy has been unblockable thus far. Cant wait to see him a little tonite

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'm not trying to make Z into an all-pro defender.  But I do think we need to give the guy a chance to prove it on the field.  Early reports from training camp are incredibly positive  - and I'm not just referring to ZACH Kruse puff pieces that you get in every training camp.  The general buzz that Im reading is that Z is the real deal.  

But - let's just say he's not an all world pass rusher.  Can a guy NOT be a game changer - while being a DEFENSE changer at the same time?  

I think Z helps us in the running game, as a pass rusher, and as a guy who is flexible enough to get other pass rushers on the field at the same time.  I think he'll work out just fine.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SSG said:

He did not struggle to get to the QB.  He didn't get a lot of snaps.  He was very efficient with the snaps he did get.  And yes, sacks are a bad metric because even for a DPOY 20+ sack season, it means you managed a sack on ~3.6% of the average QBs dropbacks, assuming ~550 passing plays.  For a 12 sack season that drops to 2.1%.  They are extremely rare plays even for the very best of the best, that's why you measure pressures, and with pressures Za'Darius has been a quietly ascending, very efficient rusher.  

But sure, over pay for sacks if you want.  You're more than welcome to Vic Beasley, I'll take Smith.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

I'm not trying to make Z into an all-pro defender.  But I do think we need to give the guy a chance to prove it on the field.  Early reports from training camp are incredibly positive  - and I'm not just referring to ZACH Kruse puff pieces that you get in every training camp.  The general buzz that Im reading is that Z is the real deal.  

But - let's just say he's not an all world pass rusher.  Can a guy NOT be a game changer - while being a DEFENSE changer at the same time?  

I think Z helps us in the running game, as a pass rusher, and as a guy who is flexible enough to get other pass rushers on the field at the same time.  I think he'll work out just fine.

Of course.  We've got no choice to do anything but give him a chance. I don't buy much that comes from TC.  99% of it is fluff and over the top positives about damn near every player on the roster.  Rarely is ever real.  Last year we got nothing but positives from Camp only too have a dumpster fire of a football team.  

I'm not saying Smith isn't a decent football player, I'm saying that I  don't think he's the game changer he's being made out to be because a single year with a good pressure rate.  I'd have been much happier with a Preston Smith type of contract.  While you are overpaying, you aren't writing a blank check.  

He's being paid like he's a dominate pass rusher.  If he's anything but that contract is going to be terrible.  You don't pay "Do everything OK" utility players like their high end pass rushers.  

I hope you are right because it's gonna sting really bad if you aren't.