The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, R T said:

Scuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

What did you expect them to do? They weren't going to mortgage their future on a closing window when they never did in prior years when the longer window was open. They went out and got upgrades for organizational depth. They played the deadline smart.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

What did you expect them to do? They weren't going to mortgage their future on a closing window when they never did in prior years when the longer window was open. They went out and got upgrades for organizational depth. They played the deadline smart.

They did just what I expected them to do. Not surprised, not disappointed.

In a perfect world they would have gone out and got another bat that could help this lineup. You yourself commented, "Hope we go get Candelario too". That was not a fantasyland thought, but I understand why that didn't happen also. 

It is what it is and it's also OK to call it what it is. 

1 minute ago, R T said:

It is what it is and it's also OK to call it what it is. 

Upgrading an anemic offense for low cost and no hindrance to the future? Yes, indeed it is. There was no real reason to push the chips in with this squad. I wanted Candelario but Canha was someone I expected as well and he cost us nothing. We got a better prospect back for Urias than we gave up for Canha IMO.

This offseason, we'll probably unload Burnes and potentially Woodruff for prospect capital and go into a mini re-tool while piecing the roster together around Jackson Chourio's future and we'll enter 2024 with a healthy Garrett Mitchell and young guys that have some real MLB experience. Tyler Black is getting 1B reps in AA and Wilken and Boeve are potential fast track options at 3B (Boeve at 2B potentially). Eric Brown Jr is a sure fire athletic SS with some pop and speed. Jeferson Quero is one of the best C prospects in baseball. Jacob Misiorowski looks like a potential future ace. Freddy Peralta is still under contract for another 3 seasons for low cost. Robert Gasser looks like he's going to be a solid #3 type arm. We still have Aaron Ashby and we have several intriguing young arms that could randomly pop off at any moment in the system.

Our system is set up as well as it has been in a long time. 

Yeah 2-3 years is the "all in" push again with this team IMO. This year hopefully we make a nice entertaining run, but I'm definitely not expecting anything grand in terms of playoff result.

We have a borderline top 10 system, trade Burnes, Adames and maybe Woody (you might be able to get a team friendly deal there) and get that to a top 5 system, Brewers tank it for a year (which is .500 ball) and then go for it when Churio, Frelick, Mitchell, Quero, Mis, Gasser, Ashby, etc.. is your core.

• 2 weeks later...

Brewers enjoying life against the AL, swept the White Sox, Rangers and Twins. There were the 3 games they were swept by the Dodgers in the middle of that, but we won't talk about that. 

11 series remain, 35 games. Keep grinding. 

• Like 1