Bitcoin

BayRaider

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

Wish I had more disposable income a couple weeks ago. Still getting my head above water since my wedding...... stupid marriage and stuff....... Would've bought more LiteCoin had I had more income. It's fine though, it'll dip again and I'll be ready.

My initial reason to come in here is basically to ask what the difference is between "sub"coins of the majors like ETH and BTC etc etc. Like what is ETH Classic, BTC Gold, BTC Dark etc etc?? I've looked a little bit up on them but feel like I get confused. Is there any reason to think they won't be as successful although to a smaller extent?

So those 'sub' coins are just hard/soft forks of the main blockchain.

BTC (Bitcoin) is the original blockchain.  Essentially a crypto civil war broke out about the need to increase the memory size for each block (1MB vs. 8 MB).  Eventually that lead to 'bitcoin cash' doing a hard fork of bitcon to create BCH.  So let's say the BTC blockchain goes from 1 to 32116 at the moment.  At the time of the fork every transaction from 1 to 32116 is still there for both BTC and BCH, but then BCH from 32117 onwards has it's own transaction log/Ledger (as does BTC).  The BCH folks got their 8MB blocks and now there's two separate blockchains.  BTC Gold, BTC Dark, etc... all follow similar paths, they want to make changes to the code for various reasons and will do a hard/soft fork and create their own 'coin'.  BTW, Bcash/Bitcoin Cash/Btrash is a s*tcoin IMO.  F those guys, stick with BTC over BCH.

Similar things have happened to other major blockchains like Ethereum (ETH).  Back a couple of years ago ETH was hacked (https://www.coindesk.com/understanding-dao-hack-journalists/).  Vitalik the head guy and his team decided to essentially do a soft fork to freeze the hackers assets so they couldn't claim the money.  This is quiet controversial.  Goes back to the whole decentralized/centralized arguments.  If you're truly decentralized you wouldn't have the ability to do that.  So ETC (Ethereum Classic) didn't follow the soft fork, while ETH did.

My whole view on this, is to stick to the main ones (BTC, and ETH).  They are the ones with the amazing dev teams, and future enhancements to keep them ahead of the 'sub' coin offshoots (BCH, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Dark, ETH Classic, etc...).  But that's long term advice.  Short term, you can make some $ on those.  This leads to another debate.  When people talk about 'scams', and how this will crash to zero.  I don't think they're totally wrong.  I think they are talking about how all these 'sub' coins and 'alt' coins are making a lot of money today, but some (hell maybe even most) might eventually crash to nothing.  Not that BTC, ETH, NEO, etc... will crash to nothing.  Just my 2 cents...

• Like 2

Never invest in forks my friend. All rip offs.

Although Ethereum Classic is just hardcore loyalists to the original Ethereum Blockchain before the hack happened. However, all other forks like Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Diamond, Ethereum Gold, etc I wouldnt touch with a two foot pole.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Never invest in forks my friend. All rip offs.

Although Ethereum Classic is just hardcore loyalists to the original Ethereum Blockchain before the hack happened. However, all other forks like Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Diamond, Ethereum Gold, etc I wouldnt touch with a two foot pole.

Technically, Litecoin is a fork of Bitcoin as well.  But unlike the scam coins it doesn't also try to steal it's name (Bitcoin cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin Dark, etc...).

There are some legitimate forks, but in all honestly I don't see how they'll be able to keep up with Bitcoin itself.  Sigwit, Lightening Network, Schnorr Signatures, AMP, Drivechain...there's a lot of improvements coming to BTC which will end the advantage/reason some of these forks were created in the first place.  Only problem that I see with BTC is that it takes a while for a lot of these great ideas to get incorporated.  It's good for stability though which you need for a true currency...

35 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'm hoping we see LTC to get back over 250 today, and BTC over 10k again

Asia finally seems to be stepping up.  I can't be the only one that's noticed over the past couple of months, everything would rise during the day, and then overnight be sold.  Asian markets has been selling until now.  Koreans back to buying, and hopefully after the 16th (Chinese new year), the Chinese market will be as well...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Why does it seem like LTC is leading this charge. Wonder what the deal with the huge spike yesterday was.

Called googling my friend... Litecoin is releasing LitePay on Feb 26th. Will be used by Twitter, Facebook, etc and hoping to go mainstream all over the world.

I told you guys Litecoin will be the universal cryptocurrency some day. Bitcoin, a store of value like gold.

"According to BitInfoCharts, a mysterious buyer with a Bitcoin address of 3Cbq7aT1tY8kMxWLbitaG7yT6bPbKChq64 purchased an astronomical amount of bitcoins worth $344,000,000 at a blended cost basis around $8,400 from 02-09-18 through 02-12-18. In total, this Bitcoin whale doubled down adding nearly 41,000 coins for a new total of 96,000 coins worth somewhere around $900,000,000 at today’s price ($9,400)."

That's a lot of dough...

14 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

"According to BitInfoCharts, a mysterious buyer with a Bitcoin address of 3Cbq7aT1tY8kMxWLbitaG7yT6bPbKChq64 purchased an astronomical amount of bitcoins worth $344,000,000 at a blended cost basis around $8,400 from 02-09-18 through 02-12-18. In total, this Bitcoin whale doubled down adding nearly 41,000 coins for a new total of 96,000 coins worth somewhere around $900,000,000 at today’s price ($9,400)."

That's a lot of dough...

Damn that Uncle Scrooge.