Bitcoin

BayRaider

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Really? I'm talking about it's ability to turn a possible profit for me or help me break even and you still wanna get into the hype value argument again?

It's a bigger issue for that coin in particular. It's not decentralized, and it was designed for a specific purpose. And at this point in time, it's valuation isn't justified by its purpose.

You're basically gambling. This is my biggest complaint with the crypto market, and I understand why it's falling on deaf ears, but the logic simply isn't sound. If I'm going to invest in a security, I need to believe in the underlying investment.

• Like 2

I like XRP because it solves a real problem and has been getting backing from real companies. It is here to stay (relative to BTC).  It is the only "long term" hold I really have.  Definitely not a 5x-10x moonshot prospect like other things though.

The other ones I have right now are Oyster Pearl, Einsteinium, Golem, and NXT. Unfortunately I bought them all at pretty high points and are all down relative to where I bought them in December, but I like the ideas behind them all. I also have LTC just to hold value at the moment

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I like XRP because it solves a real problem and has been getting backing from real companies. It is here to stay (relative to BTC).  It is the only "long term" hold I really have.  Definitely not a 5x-10x moonshot prospect like other things though.

The other ones I have right now are Oyster Pearl, Einsteinium, Golem, and NXT. Unfortunately I bought them all at pretty high points and are all down relative to where I bought them in December, but I like the ideas behind them all. I also have LTC just to hold value at the moment

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ripple-ceo-brad-garlinghouse-theres-lot-fud-xrp-181425025.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-25/ripple-wants-xrp-to-be-bitcoin-for-banks-if-only-the-banks-wanted-it

The irony is that Calvert is interested in XRP because of its volatility (he thinks he can make a decent profit), but that's also what makes the underlying investment not trustworthy to those who would use it.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ripple-ceo-brad-garlinghouse-theres-lot-fud-xrp-181425025.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-25/ripple-wants-xrp-to-be-bitcoin-for-banks-if-only-the-banks-wanted-it

The irony is that Calvert is interested in XRP because of its volatility (he thinks he can make a decent profit), but that's also what makes the underlying investment not trustworthy to those who would use it.

I'll say this about XRP, they have a fantastic development team behind it.  Anytime some tries slinging some fud about XRP and it's issues/flaws, see the responses from https://twitter.com/JoelKatz.  He owns them every time.  I don't hold any XRP because I don't see the ROI in it compared to other coins, but I do expect it to last a while...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's a bigger issue for that coin in particular. It's not decentralized, and it was designed for a specific purpose. And at this point in time, it's valuation isn't justified by its purpose.

You're basically gambling. This is my biggest complaint with the crypto market, and I understand why it's falling on deaf ears, but the logic simply isn't sound. If I'm going to invest in a security, I need to believe in the underlying investment.

Maybe your right even though I think you're wrong.  But profit is profit. I could be investing in the next great thing, or I may be knowingly or unknowingly piggybacking a pump and dump. I don't care. I just want the profit. 

8 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'll say this about XRP, they have a fantastic development team behind it.  Anytime some tries slinging some fud about XRP and it's issues/flaws, see the responses from https://twitter.com/JoelKatz.  He owns them every time.  I don't hold any XRP because I don't see the ROI in it compared to other coins, but I do expect it to last a while...

A fantastic development team is great. But the question is if XRP will ever be able to be widely used to achieve its purpose. I have doubts about that. I actually like Ripple the company, but I have my doubts about the coin. I think they're brilliant for using the crypto craze as a means to inject capital into their company.

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Maybe your right even though I think you're wrong.  But profit is profit. I could be investing in the next great thing, or I may be knowingly or unknowingly piggybacking a pump and dump. I don't care. I just want the profit. 

Profit is profit. But the underlying investment has everything to do with profit. Markets heat up, but a correction always comes. I'm arguing that you should make sure what you're investing in is sound. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jrry32 said:

A fantastic development team is great. But the question is if XRP will ever be able to be widely used to achieve its purpose. I have doubts about that. I actually like Ripple the company, but I have my doubts about the coin. I think they're brilliant for using the crypto craze as a means to inject capital into their company.

Profit is profit. But the underlying investment has everything to do with profit. Markets heat up, but a correction always comes. I'm arguing that you should make sure what you're investing in is sound. 

I couldn't agree more in the bolded, but I think the main disconnect is between what you're saying and what his agenda is.  He's not looking to invest in sound projects with long term growth in regards to XRP.  He's hoping to catch a boom and get out with bags of cash.  He may very well have a couple project in mind he'd like to "invest" in and reap long term and steady profits, but with XRP I'm gathering he's hoping that gets him rich quickly.

Edited by Super4

42 minutes ago, Super4 said:

I couldn't agree more in the bolded, but I think the main disconnect is between what you're saying and what his agenda is.  He's not looking to invest in sound projects with long term growth in regards to XRP.  He's hoping to catch a boom and get out with bags of cash.  He may very well have a couple project in mind he'd like to "invest" in and reap long term and steady profits, but with XRP I'm gathering he's hoping that gets him rich quickly.

I understand, but none of us have the foresight to know when the correction will come. 

• Like 1

Hoping to catch a "boom" and you invest in XRP?? Lmao. XRP in the short term can maybe give you a double up but theres are tons of coins that do a 10x boom in the short term all the time. Broaden your search and look outside of the Top 100. Or at least outside of the Top 10....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Hoping to catch a "boom" and you invest in XRP?? Lmao. XRP in the short term can maybe give you a double up but theres are tons of coins that do a 10x boom in the short term all the time. Broaden your search and look outside of the Top 100. Or at least outside of the Top 10....

I've been doing this a lot lately since I'm still relatively new to the game. I do want LTIs but a few quick boomers would be nice. I'm always anxious to hear your opinion if you find projects that could offer it, along with everyone else. I tend to not look at new projects but instead, established coins which will make it very difficult

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This.  XRP has a $41B market cap already, just don't see the ROI there.

Btw, @BayRaider I was looking at coins/tokens I was interested in before that might be relatively cheap now.  $SNM (https://sonm.com/) seems to fit that category.  They had a very successful ICO, was around $1.09 at one point, and now is around $0.22.  I know the Total Supply is larger than you usually like, but if VEN can be priced at $4.32, I don't see why $SNM if they can actually deliver on their tech (which is still a big IF) can't, they have tremendous potential...