Salary Cap and Player Priority

The_Slamman

Sounds like Zeke is the next domino to fall...

All this with Jaylon and now Zeke, while Dak was supposed to be signed before that other thread reached page two. Looks like he may be the last to sign, and that SJ comment from the other day was definitely aimed at Daks camp. 

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Do you guys think you'll want to keep Tyrone Crawford past this season? Releasing him could provide some much needed cap relief after signing all these guys.

We all want Crawford released. I think they’ll ask him to take a pay cut.

None of Dak, Zeke, or Amari’s 2020 cap hits will be as high as their APY’s. We still have $23M this year to frontload those deals or roll over. Should have more than enough leftover to tag Byron and make a couple other smaller moves. 

Cutting Taco Charlton and Tyron Crawford gets you guys to ~$75M next year.

Extending Dak with the first year being something like $29M
Amari's first year being ~$16M
Zeke's first wouldn't be part of the new deal, but would likely add some new money. Lets call it ~$4M in new money added on to the 5th year club option on the rookie deal
Byron Jones' 1st year ~$10M 

You guys would have around $16M to work with. For 2020. You could use some of that to potentially front load some of these new deals more or bring in more depth guys.

2021:
$101M - Dak $33M - Zeke $15M - Cooper $18M - Jones $13M (All numbers are obviously a guess) 

$22M in space give or take.

Wouldn't it be great if they just let Dak play his rookie contract out, and tagged him once or twice while looking for a real blue chip prospect?

Like actually drafting a 1st round QB for the first time in everybody under 30s life?

Such a strange concept...

Let Dak dream this year, if he stays the same or regresses you can tag him and look for a replacement. Or just let him walk if he regresses to much. Like if firing Dez, signing Hurns, drafting Gallup, trading for Amari, finally drafting a LG, firing our OL coach, promoting Colombo, firing Linehan, and promoting Kellen Moore doesn't fix the passing game..... then maybe let him walk. Might try firing JG first.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Wouldn't it be great if they just let Dak play his rookie contract out, and tagged him once or twice while looking for a real blue chip prospect?

Like actually drafting a 1st round QB for the first time in everybody under 30s life?

Let Dak dream this year, if he stays the same or regresses you can tag him and look for a replacement. Or just let him walk if he regresses to much. Like if firing Dez, signing Hurns, drafting Gallup, trading for Amari, finally drafting a LG, firing our OL coach, promoting Colombo, firing Linehan, and promoting Kellen Moore doesn't fix the passing game..... then maybe let him walk. Might try firing JG first.

I do agree that at this point letting Dak play out this year, you have nothing to really lose at this point by doing so.

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

How about we do this with Zeke let him play out his rookie contract francise him twice let him walk

Just now, eagles suck said:

How about we do this with Zeke let him play out his rookie contract francise him twice let him walk

Runningbacks are in a different situation. 

Due to the nature of their job, brevity of their career, and relatively low market value compared to every other positions. They have to make these demands. Zeke has earned what I expect he is asking for. 

I don't blame Zeke here, and if I was him, I'd pull a LeVeon Bell personally. 

Also, I think the Franchise tag needs to be abolished. It's really absurd that you can control a rookie player for the first 7 years of their career with no strings attached.

2 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

Because Zeke costs 37% of what Dak wants, so you aren't saving as much money, which is the point. 

Secondly, we can't "let Zeke play" because if you haven't heard.... he isn't playing. He has been in Cabo.

We can continue to "let" Dak play, just like he's been doing.

But other than that, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

In my opinion we have a strong CB group with or without Byron Jones...

I like Byron, but if I can get Brown, Chido, and Lewis for the same price.....

And maybe one of these rookies to take a step... I'm not up against the wall with Byron Jones.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

In my opinion we have a strong CB group with or without Byron Jones...

I like Byron, but if I can get Brown, Chido, and Lewis for the same price.....

I may be in the minority, but I'm not sold on Chido. 

5 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

I may be in the minority, but I'm not sold on Chido. 

See... it was the Lions game wasn't it?

Everyone thought he had such a terrible game, because well... he was getting picked on and they never threw to Byron. He did allow a bunch of catches, but he was never beat, and was never in bad position. Honestly some of them were just hats off great catches. 

You also have to remember he didn't really play his rookie year, and then switched to a new system his 2nd. So he was basically a rookie last year. I expect a good year from him barring injury, though I'll admit it's more potential than substance right now.

I waana keep Byron btw.

I don't think anyone remembers but amidst from his stellar pro bowl shut down year.

When we were getting thrashed by the titans last season  and most of our team had our head sunk and the titans defenders started dancing on the star he was the only cowboy that went to shove them all off. That earned my respect and showed his loyalty to the team. I want to keep guys like that provided their play is great on the field and it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived