Mike Daniels released

Leader

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't think you can write off seasons in July when you have the roster that we have. I also don't think you can say that we will be favorites to win the super bowl next year either. 

I can say it because it’s the truth.   We’re winning the Super Bowl next year.  I’ve never been more sure of anything.

Also, I’m not freaking out on this move.  Just like I was one of the few who didn’t freak out on the Sitton move when everybody else went into full despair.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I can say it because it’s the truth.   We’re winning the Super Bowl next year.  I’ve never been more sure of anything.

Also, I’m not freaking out on this move.  Just like I was one of the few who didn’t freak out on the Sitton move when everybody else went into full despair.

I must have missed the tremendous success we've experienced since we started getting rid of competent veterans (Sitton included) in seasons we're competing for SB wins. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I just don't think you can write off seasons in July when you have the roster that we have. I also don't think you can say that we will be favorites to win the super bowl next year either. 

Agree. We keep AR healthy all year (remember when that used to happen? It's been awhile) we'll be in the mix of most games.
IMO that means getting the ball out of his hand and stopping him from getting hit as much. The "re-investments" made in the OL were necessary and are welcomed. Hopefully we can change the character of our offense of the last few years.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's pretty simple folks......we needed the cash.
We want to extend Clarke and/or Martinez? We needed to free up some cash.

Cutting Graham and Taylor get you the money you need for that. 

It's a long and heavy mixture of many things that caused this to happen. The cash was certainly part of that. 

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cutting Graham and Taylor get you the money you need for that. 

It's a long and heavy mixture of many things that caused this to happen. The cash was certainly part of that. 

I dont think the TE position is quite there yet to let Graham go. Perhaps it will still happen....perhaps with both Graham and Taylor although Graham's 2020 dead cap is much easier to carry than if we ditched him this year.

Honestly, I'd prefer we not weaken our OL quite yet. We just brought guys in and it would be nice to be dealing from a position of strength along the OL and not (again) be plugging in washed up FA's or inexperienced guys. Taylor might not set the world on fire - but when healthy - he's been able to hold his own.

I went into the draft with position groups I wanted addressed. Picked on some names based on talent reviews and perceptions put forward here - but honestly I didnt care who we got so long as we nailed down those spots.

Well - 2019 is the year we get AR back on board - meaning (IMO) - keep him healthy .

Last years efforts were continually clouded by: is he throwing the ball (as badly as I perceived him to be.....) because of his leg injury (?) because of lingering effects from the collarbone (?) because he didnt have a QB Coach he respected yacking in his ear about his mechanics (?) or (and here's a conspiracy theory for those so inclined.....) because he hates MM and wants to trash any possibility he doesnt get canned.

I want a HEALTHY AR this year - so we can get a base line on his skills at this age - unclouded by all the other stuff.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Here is the reality of Mike Daniels 

Fat Mike showed up fat and out of shape last year and got hurt. Packers paid him almost 8 million to be fat and hurt.

Fat Mike showed ups this year fat and out of shape, Management said enough and moved on. Fat Mike will now get hurt in Detroit. Packers save almost 8 million. A true business decision based on history and fact.

1 minute ago, gizmo2012 said:

Here is the reality of Mike Daniels 

Fat Mike showed up fat and out of shape last year and got hurt. Packers paid him almost 8 million to be fat and hurt.

Fat Mike showed ups this year fat and out of shape, Management said enough and moved on. Fat Mike will now get hurt in Detroit. Packers save almost 8 million. A true business decision based on history and fact.

Why are we thinking Daniels came into camp out of shape last year and this year?

Here's the reality. KKK Mike is a black white supremacist. Last year he showed up to camp in Klan gear, this year he showed up with members of the church of Satan drinking infant blood out of human skulls. We cut him and he'll soon be arrested and put on death row, 8 million saved. 

I legit wish we would cut Rodgers just to wait 48 hours to hear how he was scum, above the team, and how Kizer can replace his output for way less money.

15 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

why is it so outlandish that the team mistook the market for daniels and should have tried harder to move him? 

Why would they cut a guy who 5 teams were willing to pay more than what the packers paid him.  I'm guessing they cut him assuming that the market for daniels was... "oh, he'll get a job somewhere." 

But it turned out the market was "most NFL teams want this guy at a high salary, and some want him for more than the $8M deal the packers had the rights to."

If teams want to sign the player for the exact contract that your team has the rights to... how is that not the same as trade value?  And why are people pretending that detroit is the only bidder here?  There were clearly 5 teams that wanted to have this player at that contract.  That's a strong market for a proven player.  Teams often give up late round picks to secure the rights to a player who may be available on the open market.  They do this to ensure that they get the player.

I trust professionals making millions over dorks on message boards. Call me crazy I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I must have missed the tremendous success we've experienced since we started getting rid of competent veterans (Sitton included) in seasons we're competing for SB wins. 

Difference is we are not expected to compete for a Super Bowl this year.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the year we cut Barrington/Sitton the year that Taylor played exceptionally well?

Is it not possible that Pettine had an input and that maybe Pettine felt that Daniels, at 30, would not be as effective as some of our younger options?

I'll miss Daniels and he played with fire, but whatever he's gone. If the Packers go 10-6 this year, they weren't going to go 11-5 with Daniels. He's not that type of impact player and especially at 30 coming off injury. Between Adams, Keke and Lancaster, together with Lowry and co, I don't think we'll notice much of a difference on the field or stat sheet tbh...

Edited by packfanfb

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Difference is we are not expected to compete for a Super Bowl this year.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the year we cut Barrington/Sitton the year that Taylor played exceptionally well?

Is it not possible that Pettine had an input and that maybe Pettine felt that Daniels, at 30, would not be as effective as some of our younger options?

We're tied for the 5th highest super bowl odds. Why would we not be expecting to compete for a Superbowl?

Pettine definitely had a say in what happened. The question is what was his answer to the question, "Do you need Mike Daniels?" Because you can guarantee that if the option is between having and not having him, every defensive coach in the league wants the player, even if it's just for depth. 

The defense got worse, the question is to what extent?

It cheeses me off seeing people use Daniels age as a reason to knock him. There are LOTS of NFL players playing at a high level in their age 30/31/32 seasons.

Gute had no problems giving 31 years old Jimmy Graham a contract. He had no problem giving 35 years old Tramon Williams a contract. He had no problems giving 34 years old Marcedes a contract and again at age 35. He evidently had no problems pursuing 29 years old Malik Jackson.

Whatever Gute's reasons for letting Daniels go I guarantee his age was not part of the equation. He can still contribute at a high level for 2 possibly 3 years. He has proven to have a highly competitive personality, he puts in the work, he has proven to be a durable player, he has proven he can control his weight and be a complete professional., he's a highly productive interior pass rusher - a position which is in high demand in the NFL, He's a guy who has his head screwed on right and it's those combination of factors that will go a long way to prolonging his NFL career.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with him as a player and as a person. The only reason we let him go was salary cap related rather than for fitness/performance related reasons. Don't kid yourselves...we have gotten weaker on the DL. We are gambling on Lowry, Adams,  Keke, Gary to replace his production. Lowry has never reached or exceeded Daniels level and i'm not sure he ever will, Adams, Keke and Gary are all complete unknowns at this point.

Just to further highlight the sobering reality of this situation. Let say Daniels was going to give us 600 snaps at interior defensive line. Z'Smith does 700 snaps for the season too but 80% of them is at OLB, and that means he's only replacing 140 of Daniels snaps. Lets say Gary does 140 interior snaps as well in his rookie season. That still leaves 320 snaps to replace and we're relying on Lowry who is nowhere near he level of player Daniels is, and Adams and Keke who are completely unproven to take up the flack. Having said that Lowry should comfortably replace Daniels snaps but whether he can be as impactful rushing the passer remains to be seen, Daniels was like a wrecking ball in there at times.

That's a really high snap count for how Daniels played last year, and I have to assume the medicals factored in too. He's not likely to be a wrecking ball anymore, especially in the defense Pettine wants out there. 

Also, you are underselling Lowry. I think 2019 Lowry is the better of the two, although it's pretty close.