Mike Daniels released

Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I must be in a different world than everybody else if the consensus is that outside of Clark, this DL group is much better than trash.

Agreed, I thought we needed another defensive lineman even before getting rid of Daniels; I wanted Jerry Tillery with our first round pick. I like Lowry but he is pretty close to a JAG, I like Lancaster against the run but he doesn't offer much in terms of pass rush, Kingsley is a 5th round rookie, and Montravius Adams could make some dramatic leap going into his third year but so far he has shown me absolutely nothing on the field to be excited about.

I know you are against it due to losing valuable pass rush at the NT position and it appears they are going to give Adams the chance to start at 3T but I would feel a little better about the DL with Lancaster at NT and Clark at 3T. 

I really wanted to see Daniels and his personality/veteran leadership with all the guys we added to this defense over the off season. While he had a down year last year(so did a lot of the team in general), it is almost laughable to me that people are acting like he is old, injury prone, and washed up; especially for one last year of his contract. 

With all that said, I usually try and trust the front office and coaching staff in these types of situations. They know a lot more about football than I do and I would hope they wouldn't do something that wasn't for the better of the team. I assume, they feel like they need the money to possibly extend players but if they don't use the cap savings then I won't really understand the move. 

Edited by Victor1124

Patricia has an odd, quirky personality. He thinks differently compared to your typical alpha male head coach and is why Belichick hired him in the first place. Belichick likes to surround himself with weird smart types, anything to gain an edge in the NFL.

I can see why Daniels would be attracted to working under a head coach like that because Daniels himself has a quirky personality especially with his anime obsession. Like Patricia he is wired differently and this common ground may be the reason why Daniels was attracted to the idea of playing under Patricia. He called Patricia a genius...nerds gonna recognise nerds.

That and the money helps too.

Come to think of it I think i'm now starting to understand WHY the fake-tough rumors cropped up. You see, Daniels is a nerd, he has been bullied growing up and that gives him a different perspective/mindset compared to the guys in the dressing room who are basically alpha male jocks. If Daniels was trying to "lead" in the dressing room it makes sense that these some of these  jocks types would tune him out just because he is a little different and then they call him fake tough. I could be completely off base here. Just a working theory I cooked up just now! xD

Edited by Chili

Theres not that dichotomy anymore, not like there used to be at least, between "Nerd and Jock".  Dudes like vids, or they're super into movies. Almost everyone watches some cartoon thing. It's so funny listening to the guys on Sirius try to talk about that and it's just part of the locker room environment that has passed them by. I bet 90% of the locker room gives 0 ****s about Daniel's enjoying anime, I'm thinking a good portion of them also watch some. Martinez would probably be the guy who most think would be the Uber Jock guy right? He plays vids as much as any guy with a family and a full time job does. I just think the nerd angle is laughably overblown these days. As long as these guys are putting in the work and coming prepared who gives a fuuuuuuudge what people do in their free time?

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

I just found this on twitter, though it might be interesting. Only Kenny was above average last year and Lowry and Adams were better than Daniels according to this stat (not saying they were actually better though).

EAQTcCIWkAMPG0q.jpg:large

Good chart. I was gonna use PFF as another data point showing that Daniels is very overrated on here. 

Only worse contract heading into the league year in this team was Tramon.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I think Dean Lowry is a laughably bad starter compared to Daniels,  even the Daniels we saw last year.

Lowry is a solid starter who would be a valuable part of the DL on most teams in the league and is young and healthy.

Daniels is an aging vet coming off significant injury, who looked to have regressed last year to the point he is best used situationally and you can bet on it going downhill from here.

Just a straight comparison of the two as of 2019

50 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Good chart. I was gonna use PFF as another data point showing that Daniels is very overrated on here. 

Only worse contract heading into the league year in this team was Tramon.

PFF definitely agreed and thought we should move on

Headline from the end of May:

"Green Bay would be smart to keep Mike Daniels under contract in 2019"

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-green-bay-would-be-smart-to-keep-mike-daniels-under-contract-in-2019

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Theres not that dichotomy anymore, not like there used to be at least, between "Nerd and Jock".  Dudes like vids, or they're super into movies. Almost everyone watches some cartoon thing. It's so funny listening to the guys on Sirius try to talk about that and it's just part of the locker room environment that has passed them by. I bet 90% of the locker room gives 0 ****s about Daniel's enjoying anime, I'm thinking a good portion of them also watch some. Martinez would probably be the guy who most think would be the Uber Jock guy right? He plays vids as much as any guy with a family and a full time job does. I just think the nerd angle is laughably overblown these days. As long as these guys are putting in the work and coming prepared who gives a fuuuuuuudge what people do in their free time?

Sounds like nerd trying to justify his nerdom!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

if this is a real quote, seems like a dig at pettine. The tweet seems to be deleted now though.

Interesting tweet in light of the D Randall voicing some frustration with the coaching during his time in GB and the veteran players council having an issue with it.  

I guess 1 was in season and the other is after being but it does seem a bit ....ironic I guess would be a fair word