Mike Daniels released

Leader

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Anybody looking to feel better about this trade, needs to look at the pass rush group the Dolphins are going to trot out this year: https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA

Look at that garbage

Just scrolling that entire roster you kinda have to wonder how does this happen? But they're pretty clearly not trying to win any time soon and I get that too I guess.

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Just scrolling that entire roster you kinda have to wonder how does this happen? But they're pretty clearly not trying to win any time soon and I get that too I guess.

I would argue that they are intentionally trying to lose this year

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I would argue that they are intentionally trying to lose this year

I was trying to be less harsh about it, but had it sure seems so. I guess they at least took a flier at a QB but latest reports they'll still start Fitzpatrick...

Feel legit bad for dolphins fans this season. Not a ton there other than seeing if Rosen can do anything?

10 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

But are we better with Daniels, Lowry, and Adams, or just Lowry and Adams?( not counting the Smiths and Gary playing inside because it would be the same either way.)

I do think they moved on from him for money reasons and to get other guys on the field, but I don't agree with it. The rotation would be so much stronger with Daniels there. I'm not saying we can't be good still with the guys we have, but you can't tell me having Daniels is worse than not having him THIS year.

I agree completely it was due to money. In that he wasn't playing at a level commensurate with his paycheck.

My overall point is that when you pay for more than you are getting, you are actively making your team worse than it can be.

I don't agree with the notion of knowingly overpaying, ever. It gives you more options this year (there are still FAs, there will be cuts, there can be trades, in season extensions) and next year (roll over). If your staff has identified the value doesn't add up, it's nonsensical to keep a guy around regardless if you're "trying to win now" (like that's a legitimate question for 25-30 teams).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's not even remotely close to true. There's dozens of factors that go into player development, not the least of which is having a steady mentor to bounce ideas off of, something we don't have at the moment because we traded the only dude with any experience away. 25 year old Dean Lowry is the oldest guy in that room today. Adams is older than Clark. 

How the hell do we know Adams isn't going to fall off when subjected to 500+ snaps for the first time in his career. We sure as hell watched his production fall off a damn cliff in college when asked to handle that many reps.

I've questioned Daniels leadership too for awhile now, so that argument won't work in convincing me of anything :)

Z Smith and Clark (age is just a number) are a fine duo from what I can see to be leaders. Leadership from older vets is only helpful when they're actually good leaders. 

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I've questioned Daniels leadership too for awhile now, so that argument won't work in convincing me of anything :)

Z Smith and Clark (age is just a number) are a fine duo from what I can see to be leaders. Leadership from older vets is only helpful when they're actually good leaders. 

WINNER!  Sorry guys but all this lamentation over losing Daniels is misplaced.  He played some fine football over the years, but he has crossed a couple of lines that made him extremely expendable.  He's over 30, has suffered a foot injury (which is very tough to come back from when you're 300 lbs) and hasn't played up to his current contract. Remind you of other defensive stalwarts over the last couple of years?  If you feel he still could've contributed , well that's a viable opinion.  I seriously doubt Daniels at 8+M a year would be considered a good value.  Our D Line still looks fine.  If you want to point to Detroit signing him for more than he was scheduled to make in GB this year, well.......look at Detroit's recent history with signing vets 30+ years old.

Edited by Dubz41
  • Like 1

Rob DemovskyESPN Staff Writer 

Mike Daniels' one-year contract with the Lions is in and it actually totals $8.1 million. The base salary of $7.8 million is guaranteed and there's a roster bonus worth up to $300,000 ($18,750 per game active). It has another $1 million in incentives (considered not like likely to be earned for salary-cap purposes) based on playing time, sacks and playoffs. He was scheduled to make $8.5 million with the Packers this season before they cut him: $7.6 million base, up to $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses and a $400,000 workout bonus.

So the 1-year deal Daniels signed was for less than what GB was set to pay him.  Am I still supposed to believe that Gute botched this golden trade opportunity?

15 hours ago, Norm said:

I totally clarified that there were some people that suggested it, but it was a pretty clear minority, especially at this juncture. 

The sky isn't falling. I've never said anything other than I don't like this very much and I'm annoyed that if this happened pre Gute the attitudes would be VERY different overall. 

It's not some season ender but everyone's just going "yeah but other guys will step up" which is what everyone bitched about for ages. Relying on you unproven players.

So you're irritated that a fan base would try to put a positive spin on moves their favorite franchise makes?

That just isn't surprising or flame worthy imo. Seems like drawing silver linings around what you enjoy is pretty par for the course.

I can't imagine how unhappy some of these people's lives must have been in the 80's, or even now I guess.

If you think you can compete to win the Superbowl you don't cut an important chess piece like Mike Daniels, no matter how much he costs, unless you plan to do something with that money.

So with those extra 8M who is availalabe and who would you like to sign?

DT: Corey Liuget (should come back from his injury any time)

S: Eric Berry, Tre Boston, Darian Stewart

CB: Morris Claiborne, Captain Munnerlyn

ILB: Mason Foster

OLB: Nick Perry

DE: Robert Nkemdiche, Mo Wilkerson

K: Matt Bryant

I'd like us to sign a DB (preferably Berry and/or Claiborne). Mason Foster at ILB would fine, but he's supposed to be a troublemaker, not sure he'd fit.

12 hours ago, Norm said:

Holy crap I feel bad for Flores I knew that roster was bad but wow that looks like a Browns roster from a few years ago.