The Lord of the Rings TV Series

Oregon Ducks

I like that it will be a fresh prequel and not a spin-off of something LOTR related.

They really tryna knock it outta the park, they want it to be the next GoT and while I don't think they get it that big, I can definitely see it succeeding. I think watching shows week-to-week helps HBO a lot and that if its just something that is streamed by binge watchers and then forgotten about then I don't think it will be this huge cultural thing. 

• Like 1

It’s gonna be hard to be the next GoT.  GoT got so many non-fantasy fans invested because it kept things exceedingly low on fantasy elements early on, it had gratuitous sex and violence (which LotR cannot have without putting off LotR fans), and it also had very developed characters, plots and motivations.

Even the best part of Tolkien’s work (LotR saga) lacked developed characters.  It is a very basic plot of good vs absolute evil.  It has no compelling/shocking deaths to hype fans, and it is high fantasy.  

If Jackson hadn’t made a generation of LOTR fans, this would surely fail.  After the movie series though, this might generate enough interest to do well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s gonna be hard to be the next GoT.  GoT got so many non-fantasy fans invested because it kept things exceedingly low on fantasy elements early on, it had gratuitous sex and violence (which LotR cannot have without putting off LotR fans), and it also had very developed characters, plots and motivations.

Even the best part of Tolkien’s work (LotR saga) lacked developed characters.  It is a very basic plot of good vs absolute evil.  It has no compelling/shocking deaths to hype fans, and it is high fantasy.  

If Jackson hadn’t made a generation of LOTR fans, this would surely fail.  After the movie series though, this might generate enough interest to do well.  

This.  That's what's making me think that so many of these new fantasy shows are going to fail.  They're all trying to be GOT, even though the lesson of GOT is that a well made fantasy show can be marketed to people that aren't typically into this kind of thing.  Trying to make the next GOT is a doomed project from the start.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

This.  That's what's making me think that so many of these new fantasy shows are going to fail.  They're all trying to be GOT, even though the lesson of GOT is that a well made fantasy show can be marketed to people that aren't typically into this kind of thing.  Trying to make the next GOT is a doomed project from the start.

You can develop in depth characters if you actually have a writer who cares about the show. Billions had some brilliant depth to its characters until season 4. Same with Mad Men and BB, and none of those shows revolved around lots of sex and killing. You just have to have a writer who legit cares and has a real vision of how they want the story to go. 

38 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You can develop in depth characters if you actually have a writer who cares about the show. Billions had some brilliant depth to its characters until season 4. Same with Mad Men and BB, and none of those shows revolved around lots of sex and killing. You just have to have a writer who legit cares and has a real vision of how they want the story to go. 

Oh I don't mean that you can't make a well written show.  I mean that they're going to try to copy the wrong things from GOT, or try to make a story like LOTR more like GOT to the point that it won't be what people want.  I don't think anyone wants a LOTR that's more Thronesy, for instance.  I imagine the lesson they'll take from the show is fantasy+gritty+sex=success!

I also question the wisdom of a LOTR version of any kind after Jackson pretty much nailed it.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Oh I don't mean that you can't make a well written show.  I mean that they're going to try to copy the wrong things from GOT, or try to make a story like LOTR more like GOT to the point that it won't be what people want.  I don't think anyone wants a LOTR that's more Thronesy, for instance.  I imagine the lesson they'll take from the show is fantasy+gritty+sex=success!

I also question the wisdom of a LOTR version of any kind after Jackson pretty much nailed it.

You're probably right. Although I think the story revolving around the fall of Númenor could be an awesome story if they have a writer thats ready to do it. 

• Like 1