53 Man Roster plus more (There's always next year)

lumberjackchris

Drummond has been active the first four games and only playing special teams. He must be struggling to make an impact in that part of the game. So we bring in Cromartie who some say is a proven special teams player in this league. Also claiming Heeney perhaps means we can keep Cunningham or Cole off special teams as they are contributing quite a bit for the defense. We need to continue to improve our coverage units especially with Kansas City up this week. Their special teams is consistently one of the best in the league. 

Pretty sure at this point that failed safety Rick is just filling some sort of hole in his heart by giving as many street FA safeties as possible a phone call every season asking if they want a job.  Dude has spent exactly 1 pick above the 5th round on safeties (DJ Swearinger) in his 11 seasons and we cut him after 2 seasons - actually maybe he just likes FIRING safeties.  Heck, maybe that explains bringing in Ed Reed as he got the pleasure of hiring AND firing the greatest safety ever, and got to punish Glover Quin for messing with his churn system by switching from CB to S.    Resigning Bouye and moving Kareem to S where his skillset clearly dictates he should be should have been the easiest move in the world to maximise the talent on the roster, but would have deprived lil Rick of his favorite pastime of fingering thru his safety rolodex on a near weekly basis.  Only thing he loves more than that is burning late round draft picks on dbs that linger around the bottom of the roster or at the IR resort for a few years before actually playing on a football field and being exposed for the scrap heap fodder they are (apologies to Hal).   My guess is that Thomas Decoud has somehow fooled the system by getting a CB erroneously placed by his name as he's clearly the most useless piece of this roster this side of 3rd round WRs. 

What to do now?

(1) JJ & Mercilus to IR (2 open spaces) :(

(2) sign Lamarr Houston (SFA) (was headed to Htown for a physical last I heard, but he may get signed by the Bucs tonight) or 

sign Bryan Braman (SFA) (mainly as a special teamer - but he did display pass rush chops on occasion during pre-season) (besides we need his ferocity back on our ST group) or

sign Eric Lee off (Bills PS) (knows the system and IIRC was one of our last cuts after playing OK in pre-season)

(3) sign Antonio Smith or Mario Williams or Rickey Hatley to play DE (I would prefer Hatley because of his versatility to also play NT, but a motivated Super Mario would be a great boost to DL)

I think Apollo & PD also mentioned the Ninja & Super Mario

Jay Prosch resigning is making more sense than ever.  Played 28 snaps in Cinn game - the one where we had no TEs.  In the other four, he's played 0 - 7 - 2 - 4 offensive snaps.  Dude got resigned to a 3 year - $5.75 million extension to be a personal protector on punts in impress people in the weight room. We've had multiple games now where we've run out of healthy TEs or WRs and gassed our LBs. 

I know it's a bit off the radar, but still think it's absolutely insane that we don't have a 3rd QB at least on the PS.  Savage has proven to be completely incapable of running this offense in live action, has major durability issues if he ever was pressed back into service, not to mention he is a FA next year and isn't worth putting any further development time into as that ship sailed. Our fallback plan, Weedon, got snatched up by the Titans and considering the garbage that made our initial 53 (see Prosch post + Virgin, Drummond, Decoud, Strong, Andy Jones) letting him go seems to have been a mistake. I know I'm not the first to say it, but it seems more pressing each week to get a mobile QB down here in case one of those Giacomini or XSF unblocked free runners lays Watson out a week or two. Personally, not a fan of former "stars" as backups better yet #3's - not even my boy RGIII, but I could ignore the college uniforms and support snagging Trevor Knight off the Falcons PS or Trevone Boykin off the Seahawks as developmental guys who could implement the "new" Watson playbook.  Taysom Hill is currently on the Saints active squad, but they'll likely try to sneak him down to the PS at some point.  He's got solid upside potential in the system as an academic all-american who also runs a 4.4 with an NFL arm but raw due to college injury history.   Kind of surprised O'Brien hasn't signed up his first Penn State QB, Matt McGloin as a security blanket. 

Not saying any of these are going to salvage the season if Deshaun goes down, but considering how we seem to have been totally unprepared for D. Brown, Fido, Kevin Johnson, and now JJ & Mercilus, this might be one to get out in front of now. Seriously, we lost 3 TEs in one game, and 2 best defensive players in another, are we really that confident that if Watson went down, Savage would last more than his 2 quarter career average?  The dude got a concussion from a stiff breeze last season!

Texans signed DE Kendall Langford.

Langford, 31, will try to help pitch in and replace some of the snaps lost by J.J. Watt's season-ending injury. Langford had a cup of coffee with the Saints last month but lasted just three days on the roster. Prior to missing nine games with the Colts last season, Langford had been a model of health.

per rotoworld

Texans claimed CB Marcus Williams off waivers from the Jets.

CB Johnthan Banks was released in a corresponding roster move. The ex-starter provides depth for a Texans team missing Kevin Johnson (MCL). Williams had played just 38 snaps for the Jets this season before being cut loose.

Texans also cut OL Jah Reid 

Texans signed DE/OLB Lamarr Houston, formerly of the Bears.

Houston also signed 31-year-old DE Kendall Langford. Langford is more of a traditional 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle, while Houston is an edge rusher coming off an injury-ruined time in Chicago following some strong years in Oakland. Now 30, it's unclear what he has left in the tank. But the Texans need capable bodies after losing Whitney Mercilus and J.J. Watt for the season.

per rotoworld

Soooo... his jersey will say Houston? ;)

Its tough to replace Watt and Mercilus, especially during the season. I like they have tried to bring in veteran guys who have experience starting rather than some young guy with upside. We need guys who can play now and I think Houston and Langford are decent options. Both are guys who have played well as recently as 2015 but both were injured in 2016. We really don't know what either of these guys have left in the tank. 

30 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I saw a report that the Texans were trying to get Jimmy Graham as part of a Duane Brown trade. He's been ineffective in Seattle, but the possibilities, especially in the red zone of Hopkins, Graham, Giffen, Fido (when back) and Anderson would be insane. Fades and jump balls for days.

Archived