Patriots Extend Tom Brady for 2 years, $70M

ramssuperbowl99

47 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Let's be honest, to one of the comments above, it's not hard to be the best team in the AFC East if you're the Patriots, the other 3 teams absolutely suck. They have for, how long has Brady been in the league? Yeah that long and then some. That division offers the Patriots 0 actual competition imo. That's not a knock on NE or Brady, it's just the way it is.

I get tired of posting this but:

Brady vs AFCE: 81-21 (.794)

Brady vs others: 126-41 (.754)

Bearing in mind that always playing a 1st place schedule means Patriots inter-conference games are regularly against play-off teams, the difference is actually negligible.

EDIT: That's 3.6 losses per year for 17 years. Only 1.2 division losses a season. Which is insane.

Edited by ChazStandard

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah, read up on it a little more and found Brees has the same type of contract. Brees will count for 21.3 million against the Saints cap next year and he will also be a free agent. Seems to be sidestepping the rules a bit and should probably be eliminated as an option but it isn't really team friendly except for the current year in which they save cap space but unlike a traditional contract these don't even disguise the fact that they are paying for current services in a future cap year and that is just not right.

That's how singing bonuses work. They get prorated for the length of the deal but get paid today. The way that contract is structured is only unique because it automatically voids, but essentially that is the same as if they just cut him next off-season, they will have dead space. By voiding it, they can sign him to a similar deal next year and have a small cap hit but yet a big cash payout  

They can't pay money and then somehow avoid that money every counting against the cap. It doesn't work that way. 

The genius of this is that the money they save they aren't going to spend. It will roll over and pay for itself basically. 

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

Bearing in mind that always playing a 1st place schedule means Patriots inter-conference games are regularly against play-off teams, the difference is actually negligible.

EDIT: That's 3.6 losses per year for 17 years. Only 1.2 division losses a season. Which is insane.

Nothing you just said in terms of the AFCE negates any truth to what I said. It's also a false statement to suggest the Patriots always have the toughest schedule (if that's what you were suggesting) considering 6 of their games are against 3 of the NFLs consistently worst teams.

Again my intent is not to take anything away from NE, they play the ppl on their schedule and win. They do what is required of them and that's all that matters.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

Who is the best non-Brady QB to have played in the AFC East in the last 20 years?

It's probably Jimmy G O.o

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Let's be honest, to one of the comments above, it's not hard to be the best team in the AFC East if you're the Patriots, the other 3 teams absolutely suck. They have for, how long has Brady been in the league? Yeah that long and then some. That division offers the Patriots 0 actual competition imo. That's not a knock on NE or Brady, it's just the way it is.

You can say the other teams have to play the Pats twice per season too which is like starting 0-2 each season. 

Lets be honest they'd probably run the ACFN too.  It's not like BAL or PIT has had any success against them either.

Since Brady Balt is 3-9 and Pit is 4-15.  Lets not act like BAL and PIT were beating them consistently.

So funny how other team fans are quick to just rip the rest of the division when NE has been owning the entire AFC.  

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You can say the other teams have to play the Pats twice per season too which is like starting 0-2 each season. 

Lets be honest they'd probably run the ACFN too.  It's not like BAL or PIT has had any success against them either.

Since Brady Balt is 3-9 and Pit is 4-15.  Lets not act like BAL and PIT were beating them consistently.

So funny how other team fans are quick to just rip the rest of the division when NE has been owning the entire AFC.  

I disagree with them running the North. The AFCN doesnt actually play them THAT often. Its, imo, a lot different when you play the same team at least twice a year every year. 

But again the AFCE is, without a doubt one of the worst divisions in the league, possibly the worst.

NE has absolutely dominated the AFC, I also stated they do what their schedule requires them too and that's what matters. But let's not pretend like they're getting some super difficult divisional competition. 

That doesnt change the fact that Tom Brady and BB have been the best to ever be at the positions they are in the NFL and that is the #1 success factor for that team.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

That's how singing bonuses work. They get prorated for the length of the deal but get paid today. The way that contract is structured is only unique because it automatically voids, but essentially that is the same as if they just cut him next off-season, they will have dead space. By voiding it, they can sign him to a similar deal next year and have a small cap hit but yet a big cash payout  

They can't pay money and then somehow avoid that money every counting against the cap. It doesn't work that way. 

The genius of this is that the money they save they aren't going to spend. It will roll over and pay for itself basically. 

With the contract voiding before the extension even starts means that they aren't extending him they are just moving some of this years cap number to next year which is a year he isn't even technically under contract for. I think they should get rid of that contract language because it is blatantly dishonest. At least if the contract doesn't automatically void it isn't so in your face that it's a dishonest contract extension.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I disagree with them running the North. The AFCN doesnt actually play them THAT often. Its, imo, a lot different when you play the same team at least twice a year every year. 

But again the AFCE is, without a doubt one of the worst divisions in the league, possibly the worst.

NE has absolutely dominated the AFC, I also stated they do what their schedule requires them too and that's what matters. But let's not pretend like they're getting some super difficult divisional competition. 

That doesnt change the fact that Tom Brady and BB have been the best to ever be at the positions they are in the NFL and that is the #1 success factor for that team.

You can disagree that's fine I disagree with that.  Jets over that same span are 9-27 very similar winning percentage as Bal and Pit.

And you are completely wrong about the bolded part.

https://patriotsdynasty.info/blog/2019/01-02/myth-easy-afc-east-definitive-guide

Would love how you can just conclude that NE wouldn't own the AFCN too and that the AFC is the worst division in football.  All clearly not true when you actually look at the facts but hey I guess since the CLE Browns are finally a good team we'll ignore their stretch of #1 picks and 0 win seasons.  Must have been nice having two easy wins on your schedule each season.

Edited by Rockice_8

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You can disagree that's fine I disagree with that.  Jets over that same span are 9-27 very similar winning percentage as Bal and Pit.

And you are completely wrong about the bolded part.

https://patriotsdynasty.info/blog/2019/01-02/myth-easy-afc-east-definitive-guide

Would love how you can just conclude that NE wouldn't own the AFCN too and that the AFC is the worst division in football.  All clearly not true when you actually look at the facts but hey I guess since the CLE Browns are finally a good team we'll ignore their stretch of #1 picks and 0 win seasons.  Must have been nice having two easy wins on your schedule each season.

I didn't just conclude it. I am just saying that Idk if it's a certainty that versus a different division, that they'd have exact same success. Maybe they would but I'm just saying those circumstances dont exist. I'm also not a Cleveland Browns fan.

Just now, wwhickok said:

I didn't just conclude it. I am just saying that Idk if it's a certainty that versus a different division, that they'd have exact same success. Maybe they would but I'm just saying those circumstances dont exist. I'm also not a Cleveland Browns fan.

Never said you were a Browns fan.  I said whoever you do root for Pit or Bal had easy wins by having a bad Cle team in their division yet wants to conclude the AFCE was the worst division in football and NE was able to coast every season when actual facts prove otherwise.

No your right you can't conclude with certainty but you can use history to try and formulate a conclusion which doesn't bode well for anything you are trying to proclaim.  NE has owned BAL and PIT similar to have they have the Jets over that same span so how can you just say things would have been different.  Sounds like you are just making stuff up with nothing to support your argument

The point is more than likely NE would have owned the AFCN close to as much as they have the AFCE over the same span.  Maybe BAL or PIT sneak a division title here or there but overall NE would have owned that division too.  The AFCE is not the worst division in football so you can stop with that nonsense too.

14 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Never said you were a Browns fan.  I said whoever you do root for Pit or Bal had easy wins by having a bad Cle team in their division yet wants to conclude the AFCE was the worst division in football and NE was able to coast every season when actual facts prove otherwise.

No your right you can't conclude with certainty but you can use history to try and formulate a conclusion which doesn't bode well for anything you are trying to proclaim.  NE has owned BAL and PIT similar to have they have the Jets over that same span so how can you just say things would have been different.  Sounds like you are just making stuff up with nothing to support your argument

The point is more than likely NE would have owned the AFCN close to as much as they have the AFCE over the same span.  Maybe BAL or PIT sneak a division title here or there but overall NE would have owned that division too.  The AFCE is not the worst division in football so you can stop with that nonsense too.

The Patriots don't have a Pittsburgh or Baltimore in their division who are consistently good to challenge them. They may have a Bengals but besides the Jets run the other teams in the division have been closer to the Browns than the Bengals in the Patriots run.

52 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The Patriots don't have a Pittsburgh or Baltimore in their division who are consistently good to challenge them. They may have a Bengals but besides the Jets run the other teams in the division have been closer to the Browns than the Bengals in the Patriots run.

The Pats haven't had a CLE Browns either.  The Pats have dominated those two over Brady's tenure just like they have the Jets so what is the point?  

56 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Your joking right or is your green color glasses blinding you.

Top to bottom it's not an outlandish statement.  Talented doesn't equal better keep your panties on.  Their DL is far better, they have better collective weapons probably, they have hit on some recent high draft picks in Adams, Leo, and hopefully Q, and they added great talents in Mosley and Bell this year.  NE is far superior in Coaching and QB which unfortunately for the other teams in the AFCE is why they have had their sustained success.  But overall in total it's not crazy to think the Jets may be collectively more talented. 

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1