College QB Watchlist

Nick

On 1/1/2018 at 5:42 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Mayfield is a mix of Rusell Wilson and Mathew Stafford with the Favre gambling gene.

And Manziel's attitude. Don't forget that part about him B|

What some call 'over competitiveness' I call immaturity. People said he matured since the crotch grab, but that's clearly not the case. "But he said and did all the right things after that" you say... A throat slash because Georgia missed an early field goal? C'mon man... He's very competitive, sure, but he's also very immature.

Where was that throat slash at the end, Baker? Oh, that's right, you hung your head and wiped away tears. Normally I would have no problem with that, but not when you act like that earlier in the game. If you want to dish it out, you better not tuck tail when it bites you in the arse. The thing is though, no one from Georgia talked crap to him after. One player said "humble yourself", but guess what, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO. 

I didn't want him before, I don't want him now. 

I still have Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, and Allen ahead of him.

6 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

And Manziel's attitude. Don't forget that part about him B|

What some call 'over competitiveness' I call immaturity. People said he matured since the crotch grab, but that's clearly not the case. "But he said and did all the right things after that" you say... A throat slash because Georgia missed an early field goal? C'mon man... He's very competitive, sure, but he's also very immature.

Where was that throat slash at the end, Baker? Oh, that's right, you hung your head and wiped away tears. Normally I would have no problem with that, but not when you act like that earlier in the game. If you want to dish it out, you better not tuck tail when it bites you in the arse. The thing is though, no one from Georgia talked crap to him after. One player said "humble yourself", but guess what, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO. 

I didn't want him before, I don't want him now. 

I still have Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, and Allen ahead of him.

Come on the video of that is pure speculation... You don't know what the throat slash was in reference to and to who. It looked like he was specifically talking to someone but you don't know to who from the brief video available... For all we know he could have been asking his coaches if they wanted the 1st quarter to be over... Cause it was winding down. Without seeing who it was directed towards it's impossible to know.

But what sucks is Baker is gonna get a ton of crap he doesn't deserve. People saying that he can't win the big game, and he needs to humble himself... When in actuality he wasn't even given a chance to throw the ball in OT to prove how good of a player he is. I think he threw twice. One being a designed screen of some sort. The other be a dump off that almost went for first on 3rd and long.

I'm sorry but the Manziel comparison is so lazy.

Baker is a former walk on who earned his scholarship and did not come from a rich family who fed spoon him everything from day 1. All but one his incidents are on-field issues not off the field ones. He is also going to the Senior Bowl to prove he can play from under centre and play with a bunch of random guys. Something Manziel NEVER would have done.

Mayfield cried after the loss because A) he obviously wanted to win and B) his exact words "sad it is over".

Whats the problem there? Baker may need to mature and learn how to be a pro, but I'd bet my last dollar he does just that because he actually loves the game and is not doing it for the fame (thats opposite of Manziel.)

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'm sorry but the Manziel comparison is so lazy.

Baker is a former walk on who earned his scholarship and did not come from a rich family who fed spoon him everything from day 1. All but one his incidents are on-field issues not off the field ones. He is also going to the Senior Bowl to prove he can play from under centre and play with a bunch of random guys. Something Manziel NEVER would have done.

Mayfield cried after the loss because A) he obviously wanted to win and B) his exact words "sad it is over".

Whats the problem there? Baker may need to mature and learn how to be a pro, but I'd bet my last dollar he does just that because he actually loves the game and is not doing it for the fame (thats opposite of Manziel.)

Lazy? OK, how about Bo Callahan from the movie "Draft Day"? People seem to interpret and justify Mayfield's questionable actions and then always follow up with some sort of statement that they want him. It just comes across as bias. I think we shouldn't interpret anything and just simply state "he did it". Throat slashing gestures are not tolerated in the NFL. I think they have no business at any level of the game. Mayfield does have arm talent...I think everyone can accept that as fact. Still, my gut is telling me that something just isn't adding up with him....just like fictional Bo.

As for the crying - I like it. Doesn't mean he's a wimp, it means he cares. That part I like. I want anyone we draft to give a crap about winning and losing. Many of us have recently admitted to crying after the Bills finally made the playoffs again...and we aren't even playing on the field! No shame for his emotional reaction IMO. In the end, though, I am still really hesitant to go after him. If we really do move on from TT, we have the ammo to trade up. I want Rosen.

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Lazy? OK, how about Bo Callahan from the movie "Draft Day"? People seem to interpret and justify Mayfield's questionable actions and then always follow up with some sort of statement that they want him. It just comes across as bias. I think we shouldn't interpret anything and just simply state "he did it". Throat slashing gestures are not tolerated in the NFL. I think they have no business at any level of the game. Mayfield does have arm talent...I think everyone can accept that as fact. Still, my gut is telling me that something just isn't adding up with him....just like fictional Bo.

As for the crying - I like it. Doesn't mean he's a wimp, it means he cares. That part I like. I want anyone we draft to give a crap about winning and losing. Many of us have recently admitted to crying after the Bills finally made the playoffs again...and we aren't even playing on the field! No shame for his emotional reaction IMO. In the end, though, I am still really hesitant to go after him. If we really do move on from TT, we have the ammo to trade up. I want Rosen.

I'll be honest I don't understand the Draft day reference lol.

As for Mayfield, my point/beliefs is that 10x out of 10 I would take a guy who's wrong doing comes from his actions on the field over a guy who's issues are off the field. I just believe that one can be corrected and one cannot. 

I just want to take a chance on one of these guys. We all have preferences, but at this point, let's take a risk already. If they fail, then we pick another until we get it right. We won't win a SB without an improvement at QB. We finally ended the drought, so anything is possible right? We have to get it right at QB sometime :P

I hated Baker Mayfield's antics at first... I hope he learned something from the incidents where he clearly went too far. I love passion and I don't mind seeing it displayed appropriately and in a mature manner. I don't think we will see him when we're on the board. We're going to need to move up, and I don't think I'd want to do that for him. 

The only guys I want to move up for are Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. I think Cleveland is taking Rosen, then will trade him to the Giants for pick #2 (Taking Darnold) and a healthy amount of future picks. Both should be long gone and far too expensive to get for us anyways. How's that for drama? Haha.

I've moved my focus onto probable 2nd round guys like Mason Rudolph, Stidham, Finley, Lock and many others who haven't made decisions yet on entering the draft. 

13 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'll be honest I don't understand the Draft day reference lol.

As for Mayfield, my point/beliefs is that 10x out of 10 I would take a guy who's wrong doing comes from his actions on the field over a guy who's issues are off the field. I just believe that one can be corrected and one cannot. 

Lots of great sports/FB movies out there and I think this is one of them. But, to focus on the Bo Callahan part of the movie...there's this college QB who's on everyone's radar but then the Brown's head of security starts finding out some things about the kid that, though they are not absolute deal-breakers, do cause one to scratch their head and ask "Who is this kid really?". This is exactly what I get from Mayfield. I just don't get a feeling of confidence about his character. When people rank him as a 1st round possible/probable QB, not being sure about his character makes me very uneasy. In the movie, we never find out if Bo is a bust or not, but we will find this out about Mayfield whether he is a Bill or not.

@marshawn lynch @Trentwannabe

Since I'm old and don't know how to quote different things in different places in one post, I'll just respond to you both in one post.

Let's be real, that throat slash was aimed at Georgia. He was in front of his bench, looking out toward the field, saying "it's over", immediately after Georgia missed a FG... If you can honestly say that you believe that it meant anything else, I want to live in your world. 

And I didn't compare Mayfield to Manziel - though that comparison could easily be drawn (similar size, skillset, ability, style, etc) - I said they have the same attitude. Ultra competitive, but also very immature. Both do/have done stuff on and off the field that shows their immaturity. Neither are ready to be a leader of men. And how is a Mayfield/Manziel comparison any different/less valid than a Mayfield/Wilson comparison? Every media talking head makes the comparison to Wilson, but why? Size, skillset, ability, style... The big difference between Mayfield and Wilson? Maturity, leadership, poise, humility. Wilson is also much better at reading defenses and progressing through his options. Mayfield is too quick to take off imho. What's lazy is comparing one person to another based only on their best qualities, while completely disregarding their worst. It's not just lazy, it's also convenient. It's easy to say Mayfield is like Wilson based on all his best attributes, while leaving out the fact that he's like Manziel based on his worst qualities. At this point, why is Mayfield not being compared to Troy Smith? Small, mobile, strong armed QB who is 'a winner' in college. Wilson is a SB champion, after all. And putting Mayfield in the same sentence as Favre? :| No.

I have no problem with tears after a loss like that either. In fact, I like it. It shows that burning desire to win, but maybe even more so, the passion to not lose. I dig that, and I want that from players on my teams. I just don't let you hide behind that after the game, when you've acted like a jackass, especially when it's toward the opposition, during the game. 

I will never say that Mayfield can't win the big one. He is a fantastic college football player, and he gave his team a better chance to win than most other QBs could have. I will never put a win or loss on one player. A lot of people like to say [insert QB here] is the best because of SB wins, or that he's not a winner because he can't win the big one, but that's crap. Winning a Bowl game, winning the National Championship, winning the Super Bowl, it's all a team accomplishment. Mayfield did all he could in that game, and I don't take anything away from him. The one thing I will say is that he showed less accuracy than he had previously in the season, but this was also an actual legit defense, something he hadn't faced up to that point. 

@Yibbyl That Bo Callahan reference is spot on lol. 

Anyhow, that's my take. I still want Rosen, but that won't happen. 

12 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

I just want to take a chance on one of these guys. We all have preferences, but at this point, let's take a risk already. If they fail, then we pick another until we get it right. We won't win a SB without an improvement at QB. We finally ended the drought, so anything is possible right? We have to get it right at QB sometime :P

I hated Baker Mayfield's antics at first... I hope he learned something from the incidents where he clearly went too far. I love passion and I don't mind seeing it displayed appropriately and in a mature manner. I don't think we will see him when we're on the board. We're going to need to move up, and I don't think I'd want to do that for him. 

The only guys I want to move up for are Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. I think Cleveland is taking Rosen, then will trade him to the Giants for pick #2 (Taking Darnold) and a healthy amount of future picks. Both should be long gone and far too expensive to get for us anyways. How's that for drama? Haha.

I've moved my focus onto probable 2nd round guys like Mason Rudolph, Stidham, Finley, Lock and many others who haven't made decisions yet on entering the draft. 

Yeah, Cleveland tried that philosophy a number of times and look what that got them???

There could be as many as 7 or 8 QB's drafted in round 1 according to NFL.com, that's how good this QB crop is. As for Mayfield, the pro scouts and GM's are waiting with anticipation on what he measures in at the Combine. It could be anywhere from 5'10" to 6' 1". If he comes in at 6'1". he will go top 15, if he is under 6", he will likely go late round 1 or early round 2.

Fans can choose to like him or hate him, but pro scouts and GM's love him for his leadership, mental toughness and competitiveness, plus he has a pro arm. If he were 6'4" or 6'5", he would be a top 5 pick without a doubt.

9 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

@marshawn lynch @Trentwannabe

Since I'm old and don't know how to quote different things in different places in one post, I'll just respond to you both in one post.

Let's be real, that throat slash was aimed at Georgia. He was in front of his bench, looking out toward the field, saying "it's over", immediately after Georgia missed a FG... If you can honestly say that you believe that it meant anything else, I want to live in your world. 

And I didn't compare Mayfield to Manziel - though that comparison could easily be drawn (similar size, skillset, ability, style, etc) - I said they have the same attitude. Ultra competitive, but also very immature. Both do/have done stuff on and off the field that shows their immaturity. Neither are ready to be a leader of men. And how is a Mayfield/Manziel comparison any different/less valid than a Mayfield/Wilson comparison? Every media talking head makes the comparison to Wilson, but why? Size, skillset, ability, style... The big difference between Mayfield and Wilson? Maturity, leadership, poise, humility. Wilson is also much better at reading defenses and progressing through his options. Mayfield is too quick to take off imho. What's lazy is comparing one person to another based only on their best qualities, while completely disregarding their worst. It's not just lazy, it's also convenient. It's easy to say Mayfield is like Wilson based on all his best attributes, while leaving out the fact that he's like Manziel based on his worst qualities. At this point, why is Mayfield not being compared to Troy Smith? Small, mobile, strong armed QB who is 'a winner' in college. Wilson is a SB champion, after all. And putting Mayfield in the same sentence as Favre? :| No.

I have no problem with tears after a loss like that either. In fact, I like it. It shows that burning desire to win, but maybe even more so, the passion to not lose. I dig that, and I want that from players on my teams. I just don't let you hide behind that after the game, when you've acted like a jackass, especially when it's toward the opposition, during the game. 

I will never say that Mayfield can't win the big one. He is a fantastic college football player, and he gave his team a better chance to win than most other QBs could have. I will never put a win or loss on one player. A lot of people like to say [insert QB here] is the best because of SB wins, or that he's not a winner because he can't win the big one, but that's crap. Winning a Bowl game, winning the National Championship, winning the Super Bowl, it's all a team accomplishment. Mayfield did all he could in that game, and I don't take anything away from him. The one thing I will say is that he showed less accuracy than he had previously in the season, but this was also an actual legit defense, something he hadn't faced up to that point. 

@Yibbyl That Bo Callahan reference is spot on lol. 

Anyhow, that's my take. I still want Rosen, but that won't happen. 

That's the thing. I don't find his antics on the field to be anything close to Manziel. I'd say it's closer to Tom Brady. Manziel was a all about me player... He wanted the camera on him when he celebrated. He wanted the spotlight which is shown when he did the money celebration. It was clear he was doing it for the fame and money. Mayfield on the other side he does what he does to pump up his team... Like after he throws a TD he doesn't put himself in the spotlight throwing up money symbols or anything like that. He runs down his sideline pumping up his team all the way to other end of field before the kickoff.  

But why I compare his antics to Brady is shown in the Georgia game... Mayfield went down and tied the game in the 4th and what he did next was very Brady like. He went down to all his defensive teammates and pumped then up. He told them to go make a play... And what transpired next... A Fumble return for a TD to take the lead. That was so Brady like it wasn't even funny. Obviously Brady doesn't rely on those antics as much as Mayfield does but it was similar. But that just shows there is no one in the game like Baker. Never has and never was. He is a true one of a kind. 

He does have Manziels swag but he channels it with Brady like leadership pumping up his teammates.

As for Bo Callahan that makes no sense... Callahan is portrayed as the guy that was the consesus number 1 overall pick and had everything given to him. He was the prototypical QB. Mayfield never had anything given to him... He was a walkon and earned everything he has gotten. Not prototypical at his height and hand size. And will never be the consesus number 1 overall. That comparison would make more sense for Sam Darnold if he happens to fall a few picks on draft day.

As for on field comparison I see Mayfield as no we're near Wilson or Manziel. Obviously he just doesn't run/scramble as much which is very unique for a guy his size. I see him as a better but tad shorter version of Case Keenum.

Mayfield is a legit master of moving the defense with his eyes. You just don't see that quality this early in a QBs career. That's something you only see in smart vets like Big Ben, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. I don't think I've ever seen any prospect that comes out of college that can move defenses around with his eyes like Baker can. He knows how to move in the pocket. Usually a guy his size will take off and run when he gets pressure. Maybe they get the break free but most of the time they get sacked. What is unique about Baker at his size is his ability to move within the pocket... We see Brady move around the pocket on us and avoid sacks everytime we play the Patriots. Baker does it very similarly. Mayfields feet usually get happier than Brady's but the results are the same. Baker will eventually find a receiver down field. Another great quality is his ability to throw receivers open. Something we don't see out of Tyrod. He averages almost 12 yards an attempt... Not because he is just chucking deep balls but rather than he anticpates and gives his receivers a ton of space to run for yards after catch. You put all those qualities together it makes him awfully hard to stop at no matter which level. Just imagine a deep slant... Mayfield drops back looks left to move the underneath LB that direction. But the DE closes in, Mayfield steps up in the pocket to avoid pressure and delivers a strike to the right out in front of the WR with space to run. That is almost impossible to stop. And thats just touching on 3 of his best abilities. He does other things good as well like throwing on the run for instance and his big arm. The kid has it... If he was 6'4 he would be a top 3 pick.

Writing this I hated bringing up Tom Brady so much... Because there is no one that would be compareable to him. But if you put on the tape you can't help but see similar qualities. Maybe it's just cause Baker is so smart on the football field (he doesn't get credit for this). 

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Yeah, Cleveland tried that philosophy a number of times and look what that got them???

There could be as many as 7 or 8 QB's drafted in round 1 according to NFL.com, that's how good this QB crop is. As for Mayfield, the pro scouts and GM's are waiting with anticipation on what he measures in at the Combine. It could be anywhere from 5'10" to 6' 1". If he comes in at 6'1". he will go top 15, if he is under 6", he will likely go late round 1 or early round 2.

Fans can choose to like him or hate him, but pro scouts and GM's love him for his leadership, mental toughness and competitiveness, plus he has a pro arm. If he were 6'4" or 6'5", he would be a top 5 pick without a doubt.

I don't know if our GM / coach will love him (and we'll probably never know anyways). Some GMs definitely do, but his immaturity at times might turn our regime off. We went out of our way to deal away the guys who didn't fit their mold. That same thought process comes into play when looking at Josh Rosen and his personality as well. These guys are hate him or love him all the way in my opinion. A lot will be determined when/if we interview those guys. 

Sam Darnold is the perfect mold personality wise for our regime and our city and what we stand for (my opinion). It's disappointing how he performed this year, but who knows, that may play into our favor now that he isn't a lock for the number one pick as many expected before the season started. 

Side note, Lamar Jackson declared. Loaded QB class. The one I hope we stay furthest away from is Josh Allen. 

On 1/5/2018 at 8:02 AM, marshawn lynch said:

That's the thing. I don't find his antics on the field to be anything close to Manziel. I'd say it's closer to Tom Brady. Manziel was a all about me player... He wanted the camera on him when he celebrated. He wanted the spotlight which is shown when he did the money celebration. It was clear he was doing it for the fame and money. Mayfield on the other side he does what he does to pump up his team... Like after he throws a TD he doesn't put himself in the spotlight throwing up money symbols or anything like that. He runs down his sideline pumping up his team all the way to other end of field before the kickoff.  

But why I compare his antics to Brady is shown in the Georgia game... Mayfield went down and tied the game in the 4th and what he did next was very Brady like. He went down to all his defensive teammates and pumped then up. He told them to go make a play... And what transpired next... A Fumble return for a TD to take the lead. That was so Brady like it wasn't even funny. Obviously Brady doesn't rely on those antics as much as Mayfield does but it was similar. But that just shows there is no one in the game like Baker. Never has and never was. He is a true one of a kind. 

He does have Manziels swag but he channels it with Brady like leadership pumping up his teammates.

As for Bo Callahan that makes no sense... Callahan is portrayed as the guy that was the consesus number 1 overall pick and had everything given to him. He was the prototypical QB. Mayfield never had anything given to him... He was a walkon and earned everything he has gotten. Not prototypical at his height and hand size. And will never be the consesus number 1 overall. That comparison would make more sense for Sam Darnold if he happens to fall a few picks on draft day.

As for on field comparison I see Mayfield as no we're near Wilson or Manziel. Obviously he just doesn't run/scramble as much which is very unique for a guy his size. I see him as a better but tad shorter version of Case Keenum.

Mayfield is a legit master of moving the defense with his eyes. You just don't see that quality this early in a QBs career. That's something you only see in smart vets like Big Ben, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning. I don't think I've ever seen any prospect that comes out of college that can move defenses around with his eyes like Baker can. He knows how to move in the pocket. Usually a guy his size will take off and run when he gets pressure. Maybe they get the break free but most of the time they get sacked. What is unique about Baker at his size is his ability to move within the pocket... We see Brady move around the pocket on us and avoid sacks everytime we play the Patriots. Baker does it very similarly. Mayfields feet usually get happier than Brady's but the results are the same. Baker will eventually find a receiver down field. Another great quality is his ability to throw receivers open. Something we don't see out of Tyrod. He averages almost 12 yards an attempt... Not because he is just chucking deep balls but rather than he anticpates and gives his receivers a ton of space to run for yards after catch. You put all those qualities together it makes him awfully hard to stop at no matter which level. Just imagine a deep slant... Mayfield drops back looks left to move the underneath LB that direction. But the DE closes in, Mayfield steps up in the pocket to avoid pressure and delivers a strike to the right out in front of the WR with space to run. That is almost impossible to stop. And thats just touching on 3 of his best abilities. He does other things good as well like throwing on the run for instance and his big arm. The kid has it... If he was 6'4 he would be a top 3 pick.

Writing this I hated bringing up Tom Brady so much... Because there is no one that would be compareable to him. But if you put on the tape you can't help but see similar qualities. Maybe it's just cause Baker is so smart on the football field (he doesn't get credit for this). 

Actually, I think the Bo Callahan reference is pretty accurate and even backed up by most of what you have said. You mentioned Mayfield as a top 3 pick if he had the height given all the things he excels at. A top 3 pick is someone who is expected to be elite...like Bo. Whether the pick is 1st or 3rd is of minimal significance to me. Not once have I said that Mayfield doesn't have the goods on the field (though I have stated that Rosen appears to be the more natural thrower...dude's throwing motion is seamless). I did emphasize the similarity between the 2 (Callahan & Mayfield) regarding things that were (hopefully) relatively minor questionable personality traits. Look, I want Mayfield to be rock solid in all aspects, because that would give us a shot at another potential franchise QB. I just don't want to miss on such an important piece to the puzzle and I think personality traits matter...especially at the QB position. IMO some of Mayfield's actions are not entirely desirable and that is where I have concerns. I'm sure our FO will thoroughly investigate Mayfield and given how impressive their moves have seemed to me so far, I trust whatever they feel/decide about him.

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Actually, I think the Bo Callahan reference is pretty accurate and even backed up by most of what you have said. You mentioned Mayfield as a top 3 pick if he had the height given all the things he excels at. A top 3 pick is someone who is expected to be elite...like Bo. Whether the pick is 1st or 3rd is of minimal significance to me. Not once have I said that Mayfield doesn't have the goods on the field (though I have stated that Rosen appears to be the more natural thrower...dude's throwing motion is seamless). I did emphasize the similarity between the 2 (Callahan & Mayfield) regarding things that were (hopefully) relatively minor questionable personality traits. Look, I want Mayfield to be rock solid in all aspects, because that would give us a shot at another potential franchise QB. I just don't want to miss on such an important piece to the puzzle and I think personality traits matter...especially at the QB position. IMO some of Mayfield's actions are not entirely desirable and that is where I have concerns. I'm sure our FO will thoroughly investigate Mayfield and given how impressive their moves have seemed to me so far, I trust whatever they feel/decide about him.

Look, Mayfield, because of his height, had to work hard for everything he accomplished, he even had to earn his scholarship after being just a walk on. He does not come from a rich family and had nothing ever handed to him on a platter like Manziel did.

He is a very hard working player, a total inspiration to his teammates if you watch him on the sidelines and a lot like Brees in his leadership and competitiveness. He shows real mental toughness in the pocket and a real pro arm. The real questions about him concern his height, he may measure in anywhere from 5'10" to 6'1" with most of the money between 5'11" to 6" 

His immaturity has more to do with his competitiveness that any real concerns, but then there is that height factor, which I think bothered him against Georgia???

If he measures in at 6'1", he'll go top 15 for sure, if it is lower, he will fall depending on just how short he is, but probably no worse than late round 1 unless it's 5'10, then he might slipe to early round 2.

When you consider how many solid QB's will be going round 1 in this draft, it is quite impressive that a short QB can demand this much attention and I think he will be a solid pro and interesting enough, he could actually end up being a Bill!!! Just a thought!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived