Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Wow! @Woz is probably right on his prediction of Flowers getting cut this year like he was about Scandrick getting cut last year. It seems to me that Callahan has about seen enough out of Flowers. I think Callahan expected more and expected he could get the talent out of Flowers that other OL coaches couldn't do, perhaps he's finally seeing that it's just not possible and Flowers is a waste of time. 

I guess we'll see as we go through the preseason.

As we know the Redskins signed Penn bc Flowers hadn't shown them enough at LT and bc Christian is still working his way back from his knee injury.

On top of that they also signed OG Hugh Thornton who was a 3rd round pick of the Colts a few years ago and started some games before getting hurt. Then, he was cut and missed a year but played in the AAF. They must have liked what they saw in his workout at least enough for him to compete for a back up guard spot.

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Anyone have a reference to a list of players looking good and not so good?

I've seen Moreland, Quinn, Harmon positives (even Christian recently)

Negatives are Flowers, Alexander

Seen some positive talk on the Sims's (both Cam and Stephen).

• Like 1

Penn getting toasted by Ryan Anderson. Not a good impression on his first day bc most people think Anderson is the worst OLB to ever play in the world... Jk, jk

Still, Penn must improve and I expect him to. If he doesn't, we could still have a major issue at LT w/o Trent.

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I heard on the radio this morning Troy Apke bit on a fake handoff so bad he was on the other side of the field where a pass went.  

37 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I've only heard mostly bad things about the guys you mentioned.

Positives about almost everyone else. I could give a list, but I feel I’d be listing most of the roster.

I've heard/seen good things about all of our young WRs, not only Harmon and Quinn, but also McLaurin and Sims.

I've heard Doctson and PRich have looked good but each has had a few drops that they shouldn't have had.

I've heard that Reed is more explosive this year than last year and he said he felt that way himself. Landon Collins said in an interview w/ the junkies yesterday that Reed has looked great and he's nearly uncoverable bc on most routes he has an option/two-way go and you just don't know which way he's going to go bc he's such a great route runner.

From what I've seen Davis doesn't look like he's lost a step and Sprinkle has looked good too.

I've heard that SDH looks night and day in his development from last year to this year, he’s really stood out all offseason.

Also, Jon Bostic has already picked up the defense and is barking out signals and getting everyone liked up. He has looked good from the reports I've heard and that's why we cut Mason. Rob Ryan sounded very impressed w/ Bostic in an interview he did with Scott Jackson and Scott Lynn yesterday on 980 and Ryan Kerrigan was impressed with him in an interview he did w/ the Junkies. 

Edited by turtle28

21 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I heard on the radio this morning Troy Apke bit on a fake handoff so bad he was on the other side of the field where a pass went.  

Troy Apke was a horrible pick. The only reason he’s still on the roster is because they wasted a fourth rounder on him. 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Moreland and Quinn?

No I meant I've only heard mostly bad things - as opposed to mostly good things - about the guys you mentioned being awful, Flowers & Alexander.

The rest of the team I've heard mostly good things about or, some good, some bad/ups and downs.

For example, what MKnight just said about Apke was the first time I heard anyone say something bad about him, but maybe people just haven't been reporting on him as much bc it's perceived that he's going to be our #4 safety.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Troy Apke was a horrible pick. The only reason he’s still on the roster is because they wasted a fourth rounder on him. 

I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion just yet when the guy has barely played bc of his injury last year, and even then he was just a rookie. It may be true, but that's certainly an assumption you're making. It's TBD IMO.

Edited by turtle28