Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

Just now, lavar703 said:

They’re dumb as hell if they don’t work this Trent thing out. 

While true, just exactly what do you propose to do? He claims is not about $$. And you can't fire your medical staff this close to the season.

So what is it exactly that you want them to do to work it out with him?

• Like 1

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

While true, just exactly what do you propose to do? He claims is not about $$. And you can't fire your medical staff this close to the season.

If they’re smart they’ve been interviewing other medical staffs the past few weeks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Sit him down with Dan and figure this thing out. If it’s money, give it to him. He’s more than earned it. If it’s the staff tell him they’ll revisit it at the end of the year while you investigate the issue. Just work it out. He’s too valuable to this roster. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You think Bruce Allen is going to give in to the demands of a player?

That’s the key part of it. Snyder should take the side of the best player (arguably) under his tenure, but he hasn’t done that before, so I’m not expecting it now. At best, someone st the bottom of the totem pole gets fired, but even then I don’t see the team giving in.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sit him down with Dan and figure this thing out. If it’s money, give it to him. He’s more than earned it. If it’s the staff tell him they’ll revisit it at the end of the year while you investigate the issue. Just work it out. He’s too valuable to this roster. 

That makes sense, but do things ever work that way with this franchise under the current owner?

whether it’s a player, or an exec like Lafemina, Snyder and Allen either sweep it under the rug and/or start firing. In this case, Williams is going to sit on the restricted list and it’s sad. Both sides lose, and the fans are going to watch the potential franchise QB get creamed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You dont think they've said those things about the staff (revisit at and of year)?

My guess is they have. I mean the F.O. is stupid, but not that stupid. Its a "gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" scenario.

As for money? Eh...yeah he's earned it. But when I pay someone a big contract, its for what I expect them to do in the future, not for what they've already done. So I'm not looking forward to a huge 5 year deal when he  still has 2 left on his contract and has missed 16 games in last 3 years and is on the wrong side of 30 (plus 2 strikes in drug protocol). Thats not going to be comforting to me when I try to figure out how many of the next 80 games he'll be available for while his skills decline. Different story if he's 27-28. I'd rather just guarantee the 2019 salary and convert it to bonus money.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That’s the key part of it. Snyder should take the side of the best player (arguably) under his tenure, but he hasn’t done that before, so I’m not expecting it now. At best, someone st the bottom of the totem pole gets fired, but even then I don’t see the team giving in.

Yup. At most they let a person or two go. But no way do they replace the entire staff this close to Week 1

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. At most they let a person or two go. But no way do they replace the entire staff this close to Week 1

Another thing some people may not realize is that the market for training, S&C and medical staff for football (and all sports) is not an infinite pool.  It takes a lot of specialization in your field and experience to be hired by a professional team in one of those roles.  Like front office positions, they are hired and fired early in the off-season before player moves even happen, so the Redskins are with the staff they have until the end of the season.  You can make a few changes, but they aren't going to be wholesale.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

the front office is really spiteful, look at how they treated kirk. If they didnt care about kirk, they wont care about trent.

Different scenario. Dan and Bruce never wanted Kirk. That was purely a Shanahan decision/pick. Dan and bc of Dan, Bruce loved RG3 and were all in on him even after he was gone and Kirk was our starter IMO. I think they had wished it was RG3 who threw for 4,000 yards in 2015 w/ 29 TDs and won us the division championship and I think they believed RG3 could do that too although he never proved he could come close to it as a passer.

Now Trent, he was the #4 overall pick. He is one of the players Dan has been closest too since he was drafted, so the situation isn’t similar to Kirk in that way. 

Bruce’s stubbornness to give a player new guaranteed money is similar though, I don’t think they are doing it bc they don’t want to set that precedent. 

Casserly brought up a good point on Sheehan’s show. If you give Trent new guaranteed $ before his contract is up, how do you say no to Ryan Kerrigan about it too? 

Kerrigan has been a more consistent player than Trent, an Ironman and never suspended. If anyone deserves an extension w/ new money its Kerrigan but if you are building a young team for the future the truth is hard.

The truth is you shouldn’t give any 31-year old a long term contract extension based off of what they did in the past. Let these two go in free agency or in Trent’s case, trade him now for assets to continue to build for the future.

It will suck to lose the two best players the Redskins have had on their team this decade but as Thai said, in 9 and 8 years we haven’t won a playoff game with either player and every player will be and can be replaced. It may not be immediately, but eventually they will be.

Trade Trent and Kerrigan to the Texans for Clowney, a 2nd and conditional 3rd round pick if they both make the pro bowl, 4th if they don’t.

Or, trade Trent and Kerrigan to the Patriots for Duron Harmon a 1st round pick and a conditional 3rd if they make the pro bowl, 4th if they don’t.

Done and Done!

ROLB: Clowney

RDE: Allen

NT: Payne

LDE: Ioannidis 

LOLB: Sweat

Hello!!??!! Who’s going to block that?

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, mar29020 said:

the front office is really spiteful, look at how they treated kirk. If they didnt care about kirk, they wont care about trent.

It goes back to Snyder's first year of ownership, where he called Mike Nolan's defenses "too vanilla" on two occasions, and after each one, gallons of ice cream would be sitting outside Nolan's office.  Then, it was the promising Marty Schottenheimer full control, and firing him a year in because Snyder wanted to take it back.  Next, it was Gregg Williams being the "head coach in waiting" having to interview multiple times for the job after Joe Gibbs' retirement, only to be told that the team wasn't interested and fired him.  The next one was negotiating with Mike Shanahan while Jim Zorn was still under contract.  And I think we can all pick up the pieces after the very, very public Shanahan/RGIII feud.  

Ownership has shown time and time again a lack of respect in their dealings, so why should Bruce Allen do differently?  Only this time, it is now affecting the players instead of just the coaches.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It goes back to Snyder's first year of ownership, where he called Mike Nolan's defenses "too vanilla" on two occasions, and after each one, gallons of ice cream would be sitting outside Nolan's office.  Then, it was the promising Marty Schottenheimer full control, and firing him a year in because Snyder wanted to take it back.  Next, it was Gregg Williams being the "head coach in waiting" having to interview multiple times for the job after Joe Gibbs' retirement, only to be told that the team wasn't interested and fired him.  The next one was negotiating with Mike Shanahan while Jim Zorn was still under contract.  And I think we can all pick up the pieces after the very, very public Shanahan/RGIII feud.  

Ownership has shown time and time again a lack of respect in their dealings, so why should Bruce Allen do differently?  Only this time, it is now affecting the players instead of just the coaches.  

Also, hiring Zorn as the offensive coordinator and promoting Greg Blache to defensive coordinator before even hiring a coach in 2008 after Gibbs retired. 

That's another reason why we ended up with Zorn too. 

The other candidate we had was Jim Fassell but Dan and Vinny were already handicapping their new HC by hiring their staff before they hired the head coach!

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Nope. You cant replace the entire staff this close to a season.

It's not like replacing an IT Helpdesk

You can start talking people at any point. I'm not buying this you cant replace BS. If a Doctor at a hospital does a illegal procedure and it gets reported, you think that Hospital isn't going to be interviewing a replacenent? I don't understand what's the difference. 

They should and could be interviewing people right now, but choose to take a stand and let Williams sit out a whole season possibly. 

Synder is a freaking Billionaire, you cant tell me there is no way possible for him to bring in somebody if he wanted too. Even if it was the person who did Trents second surgery. You can at least have a discussion with that Doctor and offer him to come to Redskins facility to treat Trent on the daily.