Will Doctson Make the Roster?

MKnight82

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I've heard McLaurin has been learning all 3 positions and McLaurin’s body style compares to Pierre Garcon who, as I’m sure you know started in Doctson’s position from 2014-2017. They're both 6’, and have a muscular build for a WR. Garcon weighed 211, TMc weighs 210.

Hmm.  I just hope we are putting these guys in the best position to succeed.  In my mind clearly Sims and Harmon are better fits for Doctson's spot.  

It will be interesting to see where they put McLaurin if they actually let him play in preseason tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

What's the word on the rooks? 

McLaurin is showing a lot, potentially stealing a starting role from Doctson (hence this whole thread). Harmon has shown flashes, but is probably depth at this point (possibly could be practice squad, but we have generally not squadded our draft picks).

If you're asking for fantasy reasons, I'd stay away from most of the receivers except perhaps a mid round on Paul Richardson (depending on your injury risk tolerance) and a late round flyer on Terry Quinn.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Woz said:

McLaurin is showing a lot, potentially stealing a starting role from Doctson (hence this whole thread). Harmon has shown flashes, but is probably depth at this point (possibly could be practice squad, but we have generally not squadded our draft picks).

If you're asking for fantasy reasons, I'd stay away from most of the receivers except perhaps a mid round on Paul Richardson (depending on your injury risk tolerance) and a late round flyer on Terry Quinn.

@DangerDefinitely don’t take Terry Quinn! You'll be disappointed in his production.

But, if you want to take a late round flyer on Trey Quinn, especially in a PPR league, that pick up might pay off. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I ask because I feel the need to be an emissary to this forum and not speak about rivals out of ignorance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4209 said:

Maybe, I have a hard time believing fans who write for blogs know much more than any of us. I know bc I was one for a few sites for a few years. Basically, they're just writing their opinions and not actually writing information with quotes and inside information that they've gotten from players, coaches of the front office.

I've thought all along that Samaje could be traded if he has a good preseason, or cut if he doesn't show anything. 

I don't see Jay cutting McCoy, but that's obviously just my opinion and it's bc Colt is Jay’s guy and has been since 2014.

I don't see Doctson being cut and that's bc while he hasn't lived up to his potential, Doctson has at least proven he can play in the NFL, the other guys on the roster - besides PRich - have not proven they can play in the NFL yet. I know some don't care about that, but I think that plays on a coaches mind when deciding who to cut. Then, there's a lot the money issue. The Redskins would take a cap hit for cutting Doctson, so I just don't see it happening. It makes more sense to hold onto him to hope that he takes a step forward this year bc Case, Haskins or Colt take more chances on 50/50 balls to him this year and to re-sign him if he plays well or  get a comp pick for him next year then to cut him now and take a cap hit.

I think Apke makes the team too, but it wouldn't shock me if they keep Reaves over him. Apke really didn't have a rookie season bc of injury so, I think they at least give him this year to prove at the least that he can be a reserve safety and reliable special teams guy. I think Reaves can easily sneak through waivers and get put on the practice squad. 

17 hours ago, 4209 said:

I slightly disagree with the McCoy there (gives them the ability to absorb injuries/bad play from Keenum without having to throw Haskins out there), but it wouldn't be a massive surprise.

The other three ... they've got two weeks to show me something (and Perine & Apke for me are outside looking in).

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Maybe, I have a hard time believing fans who write for blogs know much more than any of us. I know bc I was one for a few sites for a few years. Basically, they're just writing their opinions and not actually writing information with quotes and inside information that they've gotten from players, coaches of the front office.

Very true, but given that the front office/coaching staff isn't saying things like "oh yeah, that guy? yeah, he's roster chum" all we can do is try to read the tea leaves.

Be honest, if any of the guys mentioned didn't make the roster, how surprised would be on a scale of 1-10? For me, any of them would be 3 or 4. They haven't done anything to impress me.

I've thought all along that Samaje could be traded if he has a good preseason, or cut if he doesn't show anything. 

I don't see Jay cutting McCoy, but that's obviously just my opinion and it's bc Colt is Jay’s guy and has been since 2014.

Both of them are Jay's guys. And that's kind of the problem. You need to be honest with your evaluations and not show favorites.

Then, there's a lot the money issue. The Redskins would take a cap hit for cutting Doctson, so I just don't see it happening.

They wouldn't take a cap hit. They just wouldn't get any cap relief for releasing him as he's a net zero. The money is spent regardless.

It makes more sense to hold onto him to hope that he takes a step forward this year bc Case, Haskins or Colt take more chances on 50/50 balls to him this year and to re-sign him if he plays well or  get a comp pick for him next year then to cut him now and take a cap hit.

As the article said, does it make sense to hold onto a guy for one year when you need your QB of the future to create chemistry with the wide receivers?

You keep saying "oh they should re-sign him if he plays well." What if he plays well with Keenum/McCoy but he doesn't gel with Haskins? Should they keep him?

Like I've said previously, he has two weeks to show that they should give him a roster spot. Yes, he has incumbency and contract advantages, but I'm not sure those are as strong as they would be in the more general case (especially since he can be dismissed as a "Scot pick").

14 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I think McCoy is more likely to end up as PUP than cut.

A player can’t be put on PUP after they’ve practiced so McCoy can’t be put on PUP but, he could be put on IR with designation to return which I think means he’d be available in week 10. The only way I think they’d do that is if they think he’s going to need until November to be 100%. If they think he’ll be near 100% before November then that probably means they’ll keep him on the roster but make him the 3rd QB/be deactivated on game days until he’s 100% or they think they need him.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

A player can’t be put on PUP after they’ve practiced so McCoy can’t be put on PUP but, he could be put on IR with designation to return which I think means he’d be available in week 10

You are correct about the PUP. The question is if they actually designate him to return. They no longer need to say who they are designating ahead of schedule, so I suppose they can just wait and see. However, if this is still part of the same injury that occurred last December, maybe shutting him down on the way would be the right thing.

Oh wait ... I'm expecting them to do the right thing ... my mistake.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

A player can’t be put on PUP after they’ve practiced so McCoy can’t be put on PUP but, he could be put on IR with designation to return which I think means he’d be available in week 10. The only way I think they’d do that is if they think he’s going to need until November to be 100%. If they think he’ll be near 100% before November then that probably means they’ll keep him on the roster but make him the 3rd QB/be deactivated on game days until he’s 100% or they think they need him.

Damn those rules :)  Forgot about that.  Too bad, thought that might be a good way to stash colt as an emergency back up.  With this tight roster, if he can't play preseason, gonna be hard to rationalize keeping him.