Vince Williams' time with Steelers over?

armsteeld

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Or maybe Butler is so bad at it that Tomlin is trying to help best he can. However it has a lot to do with the talent they've been dealing with too 

Bolded 2000%.

Shazier get's hurt, bring in 2 down thumpers as replacements.  Complain about CB#2, don't mention it when complaining about coaching.  Whine that Dupree sucks, don't bring it up when it comes to 'should someone lose a job'.  Make comments about Davis issues, don't acknowledge it when talking about who's responsible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

he is ahead of bush on the depth chart.  Now what about once they decide to start Bush, does Baron stay at ILB with Bush? 

I think Williams probably starts most games. I think there will be about an even split between snaps for all them. I don't think it really matters who the starter is. I'd bet we'll see a lot of all the combinations depending on the situation. I know there are a lot on here that want so desperately to replace Vince, but I don't see it happening this year. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Williams probably starts most games. I think there will be about an even split between snaps for all them. I don't think it really matters who the starter is. I'd bet we'll see a lot of all the combinations depending on the situation. I know there are a lot on here that want so desperately to replace Vince, but I don't see it happening this year. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble. 

It don't desperately wont to replace William's, I dont want him in coverage. I have 0 problem with Bush taking it slow as long as it doesnt compromise our ability to win games. VW is probably on his last season as a Steeler.

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

It don't desperately wont to replace William's, I dont want him in coverage. I have 0 problem with Bush taking it slow as long as it doesnt compromise our ability to win games. VW is probably on his last season as a Steeler.

this is the way I see it, unless of course they keep williams and let Baron go:S

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

this is the way I see it, unless of course they keep williams and let Baron go:S

Honestly, regardless I hope they draft another ILB in the first 4 rounds next season. 

TE, OLB, ILB. CB, NT, S imo in no particular order.  Sad thing is, we will NEED all of those positions.

Edited by wwhickok

23 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I am really surprised that we have not been more aggressive about getting better TE depth

There really haven't been any quality guys available from what I have seen.  I did like the guy Willson from the Raiders who was cut early, but truthfully he is a project as well. I was looking/hoping for more of a #2 type than a potential project or #3.  I guess that they have faith in Grimble.

14 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

There really haven't been any quality guys available from what I have seen.  I did like the guy Willson from the Raiders who was cut early, but truthfully he is a project as well. I was looking/hoping for more of a #2 type than a potential project or #3.  I guess that they have faith in Grimble.

Huh? He’s a 7 year vet. 

Yeah Wilson is a fairly balanced, fairly reliable role player. Nothing flashy and the Raiders simply had guys that are better overall at whatever they want them to do (blocking or receiving) he can do both and even as a #2 imo would be a slight upgrade over Grimble in terms of reliability.  He would be a 1 year stop gap type option 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Huh? He’s a 7 year vet. 

Warfelg, I honestly didn't realize that Willson had been in the NFL that long. I also did not realize that he was 29 either.  However, I still see him as a journeyman/#3 and not a solid #2 or potential #1.  I believe that even more-so now since I realize that he has been in the league for six previous seasons.  You had me do some research on Willson and his best receiving year was back in 2014 when he avg. 18 ypc, 3 Td's (including an 80 yard TD) and 362 yards.  He did not seem to build from this to become a strong #2 or even a potential #1.

Jessie James in comparison has put up better receiving numbers as a #2 and #3 TE as a Steeler.  James has also done a decent job filling in as a starter when Heath, LaDarius or Vance went down (obviously this helped his receiving numbers).  This is the type of guy (Outlaw) that I would at the bare minimum love to sign. 

However, realistically these guys don't hang around like fruit waiting to fall from a tree.  The financial aspect of the salary cap also plays a factor in this as well.  I am sure that the Steelers would have loved to keep Outlaw, but not at signing him for a $25 million contract.  I don't know who is left out there to fill that void.  I was in favor of trying to sign former Raven TE Maxx Williams at the start of free agency.