Underrated/Hidden Gem Horror Movies

DreamKid

On 8/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, Outpost31 said:

Will get back to this thread tomorrow, but I feel like malf and I are the only two on this site who appreciate Return of the Living Dead.  Several of the funniest scenes all-time in that horror movie.  But strictly horror, the one horror movie that exceeded my expectations more than any other was Last Shift.

Might be because it catered to some things that legitimately terrify me, but I feel like that is the most underrated horror movie of ever.

“Send more paramedics.”

• Like 3

On 8/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, Outpost31 said:

The Changeling - Most underrated horror movie of the 80's. 

In the Mouth of Madness - Unfortunately, a lot of this feels really dated, but pure cosmic dread in this one. 

Love both of these 2.  It’s a slow burn but The Changeling still has one of the most haunting scenes of any horror film I’ve ever seen.  In the Mouth of Madness has one of the best endings ever.  

I’d also add Event Horizon to the list.

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

One of my friends has a rough list of horror recommendations that he's given the past year. I haven't seen all of these and quite a few are bigger named movies so don't necessarily fit the premise of the thread 100%, but I think it's still good to post as there are still quite a few good under the radar horror movies/shows in there.

Cemetery Man
Creep
Demons
Dust Devil
Ginger Snaps 
Green Room 
Mandy
The Return of the Living Dead 
Train to Busan 
Unsane
Us

All of these are terrific, with caveats for MANDY - which is, I dunno, weird, but I think about it a lot. It's definitely worth seeing, but it's a slow-as-heck burn of a movie; and DUST DEVIL which probably isn't necessarily that great - it isn't terrible by any means, everything in it is competent at worst - but it's trying to tell a unique story, which I totally appreciate. 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, Outpost31 said:

Will get back to this thread tomorrow, but I feel like malf and I are the only two on this site who appreciate Return of the Living Dead.  Several of the funniest scenes all-time in that horror movie.  

I'm not prominent here, but RotLD is awesome on all fronts - effects, soundtracks, scares, humour....ok, maybe not acting. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm not a huge horror movie fan, but the GF is, so I've seen my fair share at this point. The one that Always sticks in my head as one I thoroughly enjoyed was "You're Next". Loved the main character (she's awesome), and while there are a couple of instances of weird screenwriting decisions (one character taking a nap in the middle of everything was slightly peculiar, as I think that even given the mental and emotional stress, it just seems like a highly unlikely decision), the screenplay is largely on point. 

I know that this and GREEN ROOM quite justifiably got a lot of love, but another movie that's just a nasty bit of business is A LONELY PLACE TO DIE. It's a bit more of a thriller at the beginning but morphs into horror by the end. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I'm not prominent here, but RotLD is awesome on all fronts - effects, soundtracks, scares, humour....ok, maybe not acting. 

I’m sure I can safely say as an adolescent boy, the punk rock girl in the cemetery provided an ample viewing experience. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 8:16 AM, Outpost31 said:

Phantasm - Dream horror.  This movi desperately needs to be remade by someone who understands what made the original so great and who has talent.  Whether or not by accident, by sucking or by being genius, the first movie did a fantastic job of making the whole thing feel disjointed enough to actually be like watching a dream.  I've never seen a movie that just so suddenly shifts focus and changes everything on its head before.  It does not follow basic plot structures.  These aspects I learned on second/third/fourth viewings.  When I was a kid, this movie terrified me with the flying balls and the mini monsters, but mostly the Tall Man, who is hands down the most underrated horror icon ever.  Please take a huge suspension of disbelief pill before you watch this movie.  There is one scene, maybe two scenes, that are VERY outdated.  Please remember this was the tiniest budget of tiniest budgets.

I couldn't agree more with Outpost31 on this one!  I was lucky enough to see it as a teenager when it first came out, and it was truly an experience to remember.  As Outpost31 said, "The Tall Man" is one of the great horror villains of all time in my book.  Unfortunately, it was made in 1979, so some of the effects are extremely bad by today's standards.  If you can look past that, there are still some things in this movie that will keep you in your seat.  It also has one of the best movie cars ever - a pristine black, Plymouth Hemi Cuda.  This movie is unique, and if you can get over the old makeup effects in a couple scenes, you should like it a lot.  It's probably my second favorite horror movie of all time behind The Exorcist.