Better 2019 Season:Ben Roethlisberger vs Baker Mayfield

Steelersfan43

Who will be better this year?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be better this year?

• Ben
    • Baker

Sorry to be pedantic, but can you define 'better'?

In this case, are we talking stats (yards, TDs etc) or the other intangibles - for example, getting it done with less or in more adverse conditions etc? Ben, IMO, has an elite OL and Baker doesn't, but then Baker has an elite weapon to lean on now like Ben used to.

I think Ben will put up better numbers, but Mayfield be more important? Maybe. I'm not sure on that one actually. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but can you define 'better'?

In this case, are we talking stats (yards, TDs etc) or the other intangibles - for example, getting it done with less or in more adverse conditions etc? Ben, IMO, has an elite OL and Baker doesn't, but then Baker has an elite weapon to lean on now like Ben used to.

I think Ben will put up better numbers, but Mayfield be more important? Maybe. I'm not sure on that one actually. 

It depends on what you think this is the most important for a QB.

2 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

It depends on what you think this is the most important for a QB.

I'm going to go safe and say Ben. Still a top QB, and I think he'll love working primarily with JJSS, Conner and Washington etc. Baker will be good too, however.

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Just curious, why would trading AB put a chip on Ben's shoulder?

I do not think Ben or anyone else needs other people's motivation to perform great, but Ben (and Tomlin) had all the blame for Brown's situation when the biggest responsable in this situation was Brown himself!

Just remember couple months ago, when AB was not even an option in this question ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think he'll want to go out and prove that AB didn't make him. I don't think Ben necessarily made AB as great as he is/was, but I think Ben is going to want to show he can do it without AB.

Well Ben did it a long time before Brown joined the team so I wouldn't get it if he felt that way.

4 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

but Ben (and Tomlin) had all the blame for Brown's situation

That may be how you remember it but that isn't close to true. Sure a minority of people may have believed that and many would say Ben shared the blame for calling out AB on his radio show but most blamed AB for AB's actions.