College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

50 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Also an Open ended Question to all the Brothers in here......I think were ALL on Board for an OT at 10.......Give me your top 3 talents if they slipped, that you would be on board with drafting OVER the OT (your Favorite of the top 3). My list is a simple one...

1. Chase Young (I think that is Universal)

2. DT Derrick Brown

3. CB Jeff Okudah

Who would make you want to take the Top OT available in round 2 when we pick again?

GREAT Question!

1. Chase Young: Young + Myles = WOW

2. Isaiah Simmons I'd consider. He's as perfect of a hybrid LB, big S, and push S as I've seen in today's NFL.

3. Jeff Okudah, CB. The Okudah/Greedy/Ward combo on the field all at once would be great...and Ward could himself be a CB/S/slot CB hybrid with Okudah and Greedy outside.

Edited by MWil23

Just now, MWil23 said:

GREAT Question!

1. Chase Young: Young + Myles = WOW

2. Jeffrey Simmons I'd consider. He's as perfect of a hybrid LB, big S, and push S as I've seen in today's NFL.

3. Jeff Okudah, CB. The Okudah/Greedy/Ward combo on the field all at once would be great...and Ward could himself be a CB/S/slot CB hybrid with Okudah and Greedy outside.

ISAIAH Simmons.

My list is:

Chase Young
Derrick Brown
Joe Burrow (simply because you gotta take a QB like that. Even if it were to trade him later.)

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:05 PM, freakygeniuskid said:

Bad news my man. Muti isn't getting out of the 2nd round. There are no 100% certainties in the draft, but I think it would take a La'El Collins level event for him to drop that far. He is an excellent mover in space and the dude looks for work, he's not happy with a play until he's put someone in the dirt.

sorry @Mind Character

But I think Muti has a lot of issues. The injury history looms incredibly large but past that, he's center sized with short arms. He doesn't have incredible initial or lateral quickness. He loves to take his guy out the club but at the same time doesn't regularly push a pile. He had trouble vs physical opponents Alabama and Washington. Da'Ron Payne for one, destroyed him. And I think what bothers me the most, is that he's kind of a dirty player. Tries to take guys down after the whistle way too much. Especially guys that get the best of him. For instance, that highlight video has a blindside block where he quite unnecessarily destroyed a guy away from the play. That's a personal foul and fine all day.

He's played so little that there's a decent amount of upside, but I see him as a developmental OC first, beyond anything else. This year's class of OC's are thin so I think there's room for a team that likes his upside in the mid rounds but I think he's a major buyer beware.

The injury concern 100% beast of an interior player that you want unfortunately decided to return to school. :(

Trey Smith, Tennessee

3 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Can you shoot a list of your top 10?

I am curious, I have watched this class and I dont see it....

Fully admitting I could be Wrong here....LOL

Keep in mind a few have since decided to return to school, but for a list of some (not all) See below:

On 12/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mind Character said:

Wide-Receivers 2020:

This is the best Wide-Receiver class in the draft the scouting world has ever seen. Period. And I don't mean the best class in the last 5 years; I actually mean likely the best WR class to every come into the draft in terms of depth of quality. There are at least 10 WRs that have pro-bowl upside and high immediate impact WR1/WR2 ability. They will all go round 1 to mid to late round 2. There are 10 or so others that will get pushed down into round 3 and 4 that in other years would've easily gone round 2. 

Pro-bowl Upside, High Quality Immediate Starters: 1.) CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma, 2.) Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama, 3.) Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC, 4.) DeVonta Smith, WR Alabama, 5.) Henry Ruggs, WR Alabama, 6.) Jalen Reagor, WR TCU, 7.) Justin Jefferson, WR LSU, 8.) Bryan Edwards, WR South Carolina , 9.) Tee Higgins, WR Clemson, 10.) Denzel Mims, WR Baylor, 11.) Laviska Shenault Jr., WR Colorado, 12.) Jauan Jennings, WR Tennessee,

High Quality Developmental Starters: 13.) Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan, 14.) KJ Hamer, WR Penn State, 15.) Quintez Cephus, WR Wisonsin, 16.) Joe Reed, WR Virginia, 17.) Kendrick Rogers, WR TAMU, 18.) Gabriel Davis, WR UCF, 19.) Isaiah Wright, WR Temple, 20.) Tylan Wallace, WR Oklahoma State, 21.) Lynn Bowden Jr., WR Kentucky,

Quality Developmental Starters: 22.) Brandon Aiyuk, WR Arizona State, 23.) Antonio Gibson, WR Memphis, 24.) Tyler Johnson, WR Minnesota 25.) Collin Johnson, WR Texas, 26.) John Hightower, WR Boise State 27.) James Proche, WR SMU, 28.) Sage Surratt, WR Wake Forest, 29.) Tyler Vaughns, WR USC, 30.) Trishton Jackson, WR Syracuse

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

sorry @Mind Character

But I think Muti has a lot of issues. The injury history looms incredibly large but past that, he's center sized with short arms. He doesn't have incredible initial or lateral quickness. He loves to take his guy out the club but at the same time doesn't regularly push a pile. He had trouble vs physical opponents Alabama and Washington. Da'Ron Payne for one, destroyed him. And I think what bothers me the most, is that he's kind of a dirty player. Tries to take guys down after the whistle way too much. Especially guys that get the best of him. For instance, that highlight video has a blindside block where he quite unnecessarily destroyed a guy away from the play. That's a personal foul and fine all day.

He's played so little that there's a decent amount of upside, but I see him as a developmental OC first, beyond anything else. This year's class of OC's are thin so I think there's room for a team that likes his upside in the mid rounds but I think he's a major buyer beware.

The injury concern 100% beast of an interior player that you want unfortunately decided to return to school. :(

Trey Smith, Tennessee

A couple points ...

1.) Its about Body of Work Not a Game or Handful of Plays -- Opinions on players can be volatile and swing positive and negative by a game by game, snap by snap basis. Evaluators see 1 quarter and it's like "man, where did this poor play come from am I wrong about this guy?" Then, the next quarter or game that same player will show dominance. But what happens is Over the course of many games and plays watched, the true evaluation of abilities and play traits equalize out to a core, representative evaluation.

Our favorite players and best players in NFL have bad snaps, bad quarters, bad games, and/or bad stretches in a given season, but is that representative of their total play for the season after taking into account a full season of film? Within Muti, it's about the full body of work (albeit smaller in sample size due to injury) rather than a cross-section of his play. I've seen all the bad stretches of play of his, but those don't outweigh the consistent and representative high quality displayed ability and play. From the body of work, I've seen a high quality interior player who's best projected position is at Center, then Guard, then Left Tackle.

2.) ALL prospects have problems and at times look bad on film, and it's best to ask oneself how does this prospects strengths and weaknesses impact the quality of their play across a 10 or more sample size and against high quality vs quality opponents.

3.) On Injuries -- There's the play/ability evaluation and then there's the medical evaluation. As long as injury (i.e., a hobbled knee) doesn't show up on film consistently, the play evaluation and the medical evaluation are separate entities of a prospects scouting profile. I've stated many times that his extensive injury history will push him down the board a long way. How far? No one knows yet. I've said it likely pushes him to round 2 or the bottom of round 1. He's either going to pass the medicals or he is not. If he does pass Teams medical reviews, his quality of play, traits, and ability are still high quality if not elite most of the time. Now, it's important to factor in at what point in the draft is it worth it to select an extensive injury history high quality player that just happened to pass the current medicals.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Unless he changed his mind... he still is declared to enter the draft.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

It's not hard to see most if not all of Muti's games. He only played the 2017 season and 3-4 gms total between of 2018 and 19'. And then the most important ones are those vs the best competition. I give him more of a 4th - 6th round projection...assuming nothing off on his medical.

I meant Trey Smith is the guy you want Muti to be.

Edited by BrownLeader

14 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

It's not hard to see most if not all of Muti's games. He only played the 2017 season and small parts of 2018 and 19'. And then the most important ones are those vs the best competition. I give him more of a 4th - 6th round projection...assuming nothing off on his medical.

I meant Trey Smith is the guy you want Muti to be.

A 4th to 6th?

Lol. Wow. Yeah, we'll have to agree to strongly disagree on that one. To each their own, but the scouting community won't see him as that late of a pick.

He's going to have a consensus top 50 grades for teams, but he might be dropped down to top 75 due to an injury flag. Even then, he's coming off the board no later than mid-2nd round because his abilities are too good.

As it stands, he probably goes within the top 10 picks in the 2nd round.

Factoring in his injury history, I have him as a top of the 2nd guy, but it wouldn't surprise me if he jumps into the bottom of the first based on ability.

I watched Trey Smith at both USC and Tennessee, I don't have him rated close to as high as you. Trey whiffs a lot, lacks lateral agility, and struggles to stay square. He's a 4th or 5th round guy imo, but I think he'll be a good player in a zone based scheme as such he'll be valued more highly for teams that utilize that system.

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, therealwiseman said:

Cole Kmet

He's the truth... TE1.... hope he falls to the 2nd round. If we take him there, though it wouldn't be my preferred position group to select, he'd be well worth it.

Stefanski utilized Irv Smith Jr. and Kyle Rudolph and the zone run Alex Gibbs/Mike/Kyle Shanaha/Kubiak offense requires two tight ends that can block and receive in order to mirror pass and run play initial presentation.

Kmet is the clear TE1 and he'd be a great fit on the team.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

He's the truth... TE1.... hope he falls to the 2nd round. If we take him there, though it wouldn't be my preferred position group to select, he'd be well worth it.

Stefanski utilized Irv Smith Jr. and Kyle Rudolph and the zone run Alex Gibbs/Mike/Kyle Shanaha/Kubiak offense requires two tight ends that can block and receive in order to mirror pass and run play initial presentation.

Kmet is the clear TE1 and he'd be a great fit on the team.

Yes, Kmet has great hands and is a willing & able blocker. He is my TE1. My only hope is he will be there in the second round.

I’d be interested in to see how Hopkins & Pinkney do with blocking. Something I think they can both get better on. I see them as potential 3rd/4th round selections. 

• Like 2