College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not really debating any of your points but we can cut him now with no penalty and save 15.

He’a also an UFA at years end too for whatever that’s worth (comp pick?)

I didn't even factor in the fact that he'll be a UFA and could bring back a quality Comp Pick if he can ball out a little bit.

Good point.

Cutting him now without a free agent replacement or draft pick in place would be the worst decision as we're not up against the cap to the point where that 15mil can help us with any immediate issues. We'd then be more pressed to go need in the draft

Now, should we cut him after the draft before his salary becomes guaranteed as a vested veteran, if we have a solution in place? Sure.

If not, even getting a 5th round comp. pick would be a win.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Can we stop wanting to cut guys just because they’re older?

You same guys would shudder looking at the Patriots roster the last 5 years.

We want to cut expensive guys. We have to unless you want to let Garrett, Ward, Schobert, Ogunjobi, and a host of other good players walk for nothing.

This is the first time in a long time we have enough talented players to have to make these kinds of decisions. 

Daniel Jeremiah with a wild Mock Draft that's going to start to set people's beliefs regarding prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097592/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-four-qbs-in-top-15

Wild Highlights:

1.) Mekhi Becton the 1st Tackle off the Board going 4th to the Giants

2.) Tristan Wirfs "slide him inside at Guard; he struggles in space; all pro-Guard."

3.) We miss out on the best Tackle in the draft Wills but Andrew Thomas is available for us at 10.

4.) K'Lavon Chaisson goes 11th as 34-OLB. Many of us have called him a LB for a long time and in a 34 it maximizes his athleticism, but 11th is wild.

5.) Jordan Love goes before Justin Herbert.

6.) What I thought was a sure-fire late round value guy Patrick Queen, LB LSU shows up in the 1st round top 20.

7.) "My Stand on the Table Guy" Ross Blacklock goes 27th in the 1st which means the dream of him going to us in the 3rd doesn't exist as opinion in some circles around the league.

8.) "My Stand on the Table Guy" Zach Baun, LB Wisconsin unfortunately is projected in the 1st round. I was hoping we could get him in the 3rd.

------

I know some of us see Wills as OT1 while others see Andrew Thomas as OT1. I also know soon opinions will trend toward seeing Becton as OT1.

I'm team trade-up for Jedrick Wills Jr., and I will be until the day of the draft. Perfect ZBS Tackle; Amazing MBS Tackle.

If not Wills Jr., I'm team trade down for future and present draft capital while targeting immediate impact starters along the way.

Edited by Mind Character

33 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I know some of us see Wills as OT1 while others see Andrew Thomas as OT1. I also know soon opinions will trend toward seeing Becton as OT1.

I'm team trade-up for Jedrick Wills Jr., and I will be until the day of the draft. Perfect ZBS Tackle; Amazing MBS Tackle.

Can Wills Jr play LT or is he strictly a RT, if it’s the latter I’d rather trade up for Thomas because  LT will probably be the harder position to fill

5 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Can Wills Jr play LT or is he strictly a RT, if it’s the latter I’d rather trade up for Thomas because  LT will probably be the harder position to fill

Transitioning from one to the other always involves an adjustment period.

It's clear that Wills has the athletic ability to switch.

By all accounts he loves the game, is a diligent worker to grow his game, and has the mental acumen to process the game.

As long as Wills can pass all the workmen character, grit, and mental acuity tests, background checks, and interviews he's the clear # 1 and he'll be just find with the LT transition if necessary.

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wouldn’t be mad at that.

McKinnie wasn't that great. Take out his Pro Bowl year and he was a very average LT.

11 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Chaisson is buttcheeks and ineffectual as a DE.

He'll be buttcheeks as a 34-OLB as well.

He may be an effect 43-LB convert but he's not an instinctual quick processing guy.

Whoever takes him will be pissing a high draft pick down the drain...

Character, speed and hustle are easy bankable traits. You won't miss by much if a guy has these.

I think his lack of recognition can be attributed to having just the one year as a full time starter after losing last season to injury.

@BleedTheClock

I can see him as a smaller Sweat. Raw,  angular, speed athlete with surprising power/leverage at the poa.

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

10 is a nice spot for a trade down

The last few times the Browns traded down when they had a top 10 pick they......

Passed on Julio Jones for Phil Taylor

Passed on Deshaun Watson for Jabril Peppers

Passed on Kahlil Mack for Justin Gilbert

I'm going to have to 'hard pass' on the Browns ever trading down again trying to be smarter then the rest of the room lol Plus the Browns are no longer in rebuild mode and need to stockpile more picks. They are in a win-now mode and need as many day 1 impact contributors as possible.

If there is a day 1 plug in LT/RT on the board at #10, considering how bad the Browns need 2 OTs---- they have to turn the card in

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 hours ago, Horseunit said:

He's always been the one...

So many WRs... we have to take one.. I had Pittman being overlooked and available in the 2nd with the value being too much to pass on him. He's worth it.

A year from now we have no clue what will happen with OBJ or Jarvis. We also don't know the quality of future WR drafts pools.

When an evaluator has the degree of belief in so many prospects within a given positional group to become quality starters, we have to select one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

The last few times the Browns traded down when they had a top 10 pick they......

Passed on Julio Jones for Phil Taylor

Passing on Julio wasn’t the problem.

Passed on Deshaun Watson for Jabril Peppers

Jabrill and a pro bowl corner in Ward...

Passed on Kahlil Mack for Justin Gilbert

Passing on Mack wasn’t the issue.

I'm going to have to 'hard pass' on the Browns ever trading down again trying to be smarter then the rest of the room lol Plus the Browns are no longer in rebuild mode and need to stockpile more picks. They are in a win-now mode and need as many day 1 impact contributors as possible.

Using this absurd logic.... taking a player in the top 10 is going to be a hard pass from me.

I mean, we’ve whiffed on TRich, Mingo, Warren, Couch, Brown, Gilbert, etc.

When I said the issue wasn’t passing on those players, that’s a fact.  The issue was then failing to identify and/or develop a player when we did pick.

In 2011, we could have taken Jordan, Wilkerson or Heyward, all of whom would have fit the mold of a 3-4 DL and would have been very good picks.  Instead we chose Taylor.

In 2014, the NEXT NINE players AFTER Gilbert have been to a pro bowl, including names like OBJ, Donald and Lewan.

Again, it’s not as if we traded down to a spot where talent doesn’t exist, we just failed to identify it, which we also managed to do REPEATEDLY in the top 5-10.

If there is a day 1 plug in LT/RT on the board at #10, considering how bad the Browns need 2 OTs---- they have to turn the card in

If someone is offering an absurd deal, I’ll happily trade down. If not, I have no issue taking an OT at 10.

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

Fake news MindCNNharacter. He didn’t say he struggles in space. And it’s also just not true.

"Fake News" is a co-opted term used to distort reality in the very same way as the "media" entities the term supposedly intends to critique.

The less co-opted term Propaganda still possesses most of its non-politicized/weaponized meaning.

CNN is a dutiful propaganda arm of the military-industrial complex, the duopoly forever war party, and the corporate-imperialist State.

As is the 'fair and balanced' media entity I have no doubt that you love; as is the 'lean in' media entity I have no doubt that you hate.

Daniel Jeremiah's statements on Tristan Wirfs begin around the 5:30 mark of the video on NFL.com. Shortly thereafter, Jeremiah indeed as I paraphrased says that Wirfs has 'struggles in space.' He also goes on to categorize him as a Guard.

At the end of the day, Jeremiah's evaluations are no different than anyone else's as they can be flawed and incorrect. Now that he's in the captain's chair of the top NFL Network Draftnik, he may be passing along the opinions of others around the league that Wirfs is a Guard not a Tackle or just his personal eval.

Edited by Mind Character

31 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

"Fake News" is a co-opted term used to distort reality in the very same way as the "media" entities the term supposedly intends to critique.

The less co-opted term Propaganda still possesses most of its non-politicized/weaponized meaning.

CNN is a dutiful propaganda arm of the military-industrial complex, the duopoly forever war party, and the corporate-imperialist State.

As is the 'fair and balanced' media entity I have no doubt that you love; as is the 'lean in' media entity I have no doubt that you hate.

Daniel Jeremiah's statements on Tristan Wirfs begin around the 5:30 mark of the video on NFL.com. Shortly thereafter, Jeremiah indeed as I paraphrased says that Wirfs has 'struggles in space.' He also goes on to categorize him as a Guard.

At the end of the day, Jeremiah's evaluations are no different than anyone else's as they can be flawed and incorrect. Now that he's in the captain's chair of the top NFL Network Draftnik, he may be passing along the opinions of others around the league that Wirfs is a Guard not a Tackle or just his personal eval.

Tl;dr

Vote Wirfs ‘20