College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@AkronsWitness I hate you for making me google all that nonsense.

😁

*added to the LGB greatest hits collection, which includes, "Just stop responding to DD! Everyone stop!!!"*

32 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Javon Kinlaw done for the week at the senior bowl. Tendinitis in his knee 

*adds Kinlaw as xer's mock draft 3rd round sleeper*

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A guy I want to see us draft is Josh Jones, OT Houston. He's having a great Senior Bowl, only gave up 4 pressures and 1/2 sack all week, and he seems to have a great mentality:

I REALLY hope that he falls to the 2nd and we can grab him, but after this week, he may shoot up the draft boards. I'd LOVE some type of bookend OT draft in Rounds 1/2, or even if we could get him and Simmons both. 

I am with you but considering you may have 7tackles taken in the first round the second round maybe extreme developmental tackles.

6 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I am with you but considering you may have 7tackles taken in the first round the second round maybe extreme developmental tackles.

Yes, I was speaking strictly on a "if he falls" hypothetical basis. By all means I'm all for drafting BPA at 10, and if he/some other OT is that guy, I'm 100% for it. However, in a perfect world, I'd get both Simmons and Josh Jones. ;)

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

But what about Joe Thomas, Joe Haden, Kellen Winslow, Denzel Ward and Myles Garrett lol

What about them?  I never said you couldn’t get good players there?  You’re moving the goal posts here.

I’m not talking wild stuff here.  Teams like the Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Pats, etc. (teams that have been competitive more or less year in year out for a long time) have done so without top 5-10 picks every year and have managed to find plenty of talent.

The point that you seem to be missing entirely is it’s not one or two top 10 elite talents that form a successful team.  It’s a franchise who can find talent that fits what they do and develop it. If all you can do is bat .500 (being generous) on top 5-10 picks, it really doesn’t matter as you’ll never be successful.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What about them?  I never said you couldn’t get good players there?  You’re moving the goal posts here.

I’m not talking wild stuff here.  Teams like the Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Pats, etc. (teams that have been competitive more or less year in year out for a long time) have done so without top 5-10 picks every year and have managed to find plenty of talent.

The point that you seem to be missing entirely is it’s not one or two top 10 elite talents that form a successful team.  It’s a franchise who can find talent that fits what they do and develop it. If all you can do is bat .500 (being generous) on top 5-10 picks, it really doesn’t matter as you’ll never be successful.

Yeah, but what about Corbett? He was a second rounder, case in point.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My point is that 90% of the good long-term notable players the Browns have drafted in 15+ years have all came from staying pat within the top 10. At the same time, the Browns have drafted nonstop garbage everytime they trade out of the top 10.

There are your Mack/Schwartz/Schobert/Kirksey types they have gotten later but when you look at the amount of draft picks the Browns have used late 1st-7th.... coming away with only 5-6 notable players in 15+ years is like batting .025

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@NudeTayne, I bet most of the other second rounders picked after him have done more 😆 

Case in point.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

My point is that 90% of the good long-term notable players the Browns have drafted in 15+ years have all came from staying pat within the top 10. At the same time, the Browns have drafted nonstop garbage everytime they trade out of the top 10.

There are your Mack/Schwartz/Schobert/Kirksey types they have gotten later but when you look at the amount of draft picks the Browns have used late 1st-7th.... coming away with only 5-6 notable players in 15+ years is like batting .025

This.

Akron is on fire today.

QD46bk8mTLuOVGQ0KAFQ_Fire%20Balls.gif

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The underlying point is turd organizations waste picks, high or low.  Well run organizations develop those picks, high or low, into contributors.

We don’t “need” to take someone at 10, nor do we “need” to trade down.  We need to make the best decision.

If that’s taking a 10 year starter and stud at tackle, cool. If that’s collecting assets, that’s cool too. The bigger task is developing them once they’re here.