College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Interesting. There seems to be a lot of disagreement in who the top guys are past Wirfs, Wills and Thomas. 

We have Mekhi Bekton, Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Netane Muti, Price Tega Wanogho, Robert Hunt, Isaiah Wilson, Jack Driscoll, maybe even toss in Matt Peart, Ben Bartch apparently, Terrence Steele, and even Trey Adams (that's 15 tackles).

Then there are several quality interior line prospects. Why are we so worried that a second guy won't be there in the second? There won't be 20 offensive linemen chosen in the first 40 picks--not possible.

Tayne don't get the worry 🤔.

I think Wirfs, Willis, Thomas, Becton, and Trey Adams are the 4 starting quality OT's. Netane Muti is a guard all the way IMO. I do like him.

And Prince Tega Wanogho has a lot of technical concerns despite having no problems moving and mirroring. I like Tega Wanogho, but not enough to group him in with the first 4 dudes.

Austin Jackson is hella overrated. I wouldn't draft him in the 2nd round.

Josh Jones is intriguing, but has a ton of technical flaws.

At the moment, my preferred move might be to trade down and draft the remaining OT between Wirfs/Wills/Thomas/Becton if there are at least 2 still there at #10. I'm comfortable with all of them to be honest. I think all are superstar RT's with LT abilities if you need them to play on that side. None of them are immediately excluded from LT, as they all move very well and have shown the ability to mirror speed.

Whatever it takes to get Chris Hubbard off this freaking team.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Could a combination of Mehki Becton + Isaiah Wilson work?

2 gigantic OT’s just mauling people would be fun to watch.

Seems like they'd be a nice combo for a power scheme, though it seems like we are set on a zone blocking scheme (?).

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Seems like they'd be a nice combo for a power scheme, though it seems like we are set on a zone blocking scheme (?).

Becton played in a zone scheme and looked great getting to the second level and reach blocking edge players. He’s like the nimblest 380 pound man on the planet. 

Hakeem Adeniji of Kansas would be an awesome OG if we run a ZBS. Matt Peart has looked great as well.

Also, this means nothing, but you’d have to imagine guys that the Vikings are interested in are guys Stefanski would be interested in as well. Here’s some offensive linemen the Vikings have been showing interest in:

Matt Peart, OT, UConn

Jonathan Taylor, OT, South Carolina State 

Logan Stenberg, OG, Kentucky 

Josh Jones, OT, Houston

Nick Harris, IOL, Washington

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Becton played in a zone scheme and looked great getting to the second level and reach blocking edge players. He’s like the nimblest 380 pound man on the planet. 

Hmm. Gonna just have to agree to disagree. He doesn't look like he can handle speed rushers. His best highlights are mostly against tiny dudes/no name players (just watched three full game cut-ups so far and a couple highlight reels--full disclosure). Not really getting all the dancing bear talk. He looks like a monster, but not really seeing agility and seeing lots of standing around after he clears his guy. 

Admittedly, offensive line is not something feeling ultra confident in assessing, but generally have a pretty good feel for the eyeball test. Looks like the third round originally slated as 🤷‍♂️. Not seeing it at all. Looks lazy and uncoordinated.

Tayne sees a boom/bust type and round feel more inclined to call bust if taken in the first round to zone block, so hopefully it's not us, though he's probably worth the risk in the second because of his size and power 🤔. Seems night and day between Becton and guys like Wills and Thomas who both look like locks to be good.

What does everyone else see here? Is Tayne blind?

Edited by NudeTayne

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Could a combination of Mehki Becton + Isaiah Wilson work?

2 gigantic OT’s just mauling people would be fun to watch.

we are going zone run, not getting maulers, we are getting fat men who can run sideways and get their arms up on peoples chests. 

• Like 1

I tried to be as realistic with this mock draft as I could.  

Round 1 CeeDee Lamb WR Oklahoma... Most talented player on the board when we select. Wills, Thomas, and Okudah were off the board. Passed on Wirfs.

Round 2 Julian Okwara EDGE Notre Dame... We need more pass rushers and Okwara has all the traits you look for in a secondary pass rusher.

Round 3 Ben Bartch OT St. John... Still a work in progress but has shown at the Senior Bowl he can hang with the competition.

Round 3 Jeremy Chinn S Southern Illinois... One of my top sleeper prospects who is now on everyone's radar after a strong showing at the Senior Bowl.

Round 4 Jack Driscoll OT Auburn... Spells the end of the Chris Hubbard experiment at right tackle.

Round 6 Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati... Undersized but willing to do the dirty work could be your lead blocker, sneak him out in the flat, grind out those extra yards type.

Round 7 Glen Logan IDL LSU... He might be off the board at this point, but a developmental d-line man that has some upside as an interior pass rusher.

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I like him a lot.

I’d love to see what he could look like if he got serious about nutrition and in the weight room. Dude could legit be a 330 lb monster who isn’t obese.

As well as he moves now, imagine him not having to lug 40-50 pounds of unnecessary blubber with him everywhere he goes.

• Like 1

Also, just a prediction but I think Matthew Stafford gets traded to Indy.

1. Cincinnati  - Joe Burrow
2. Washington  - Chase Young
3. Detroit  - Tua Tagovaila
4. NY Giants  - Derrick Brown
5. Miami  - Justin Herbert
6. LA Chargers  - Andrew Thomas
7. Carolina  - Jeffrey Okudah
8. Arizona  - Jedrick Wills
9. Jacksonville  - Isaiah Simmons
10. Cleveland  - Tristan Wirfs / Mehki Becton / Josh Jones

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I like him a lot.

I’d love to see what he could look like if he got serious about nutrition and in the weight room. Dude could legit be a 330 lb monster who isn’t obese.

As well as he moves now, imagine him not having to lug 40-50 pounds of unnecessary blubber with him everywhere he goes.

This is the big concern right now when watching him; he still likes like he will get gassed. At 330-335, he could be phenomenal. But he is young and still might be filling out 😂. Most big dudes like this have trouble keeping the weight off.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

Robinson can’t play.

This.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Also, just a prediction but I think Matthew Stafford gets traded to Indy.

1. Cincinnati  - Joe Burrow
2. Washington  - Chase Young
3. Detroit  - Tua Tagovaila
4. NY Giants  - Derrick Brown
5. Miami  - Justin Herbert
6. LA Chargers  - Andrew Thomas
7. Carolina  - Jeffrey Okudah
8. Arizona  - Jedrick Wills
9. Jacksonville  - Isaiah Simmons
10. Cleveland  - Tristan Wirfs / Mehki Becton / Josh Jones

Why wood Detroit trade him? He's been injured lately but is not the problem (?). Tua is a much bigger risk, though of course he could hit. Are the Lions gonna tank? Will Tua even be healthy enough to start this year? All that said, high -end modern surgery keeps improving. Hmm.

Also, this word be a nightmare scenario. Trade down here?