College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

8 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Yes you can, and should if it means deviating from a board to elevate a need above value, especially in a draft like this deep in OL.

In addition I do not think we can put CB in the "virtually no need" category.

Just look at last season and all the games we were playing CB-light.

While I have heard said that you can't assume injury, I think anyone who doesn't is a damned fool.

Especially when there are injury histories to factor into the equation(s).

And corner is the last place you want an injury at in today’s NFL

• Like 2

Kinda random. John Dorsey was interested in Brandon Walton from Florida Atlantic. I imagine one of our scouts is still intrigued by him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarhawksFB/status/1161327443514408961/photo/1

Also, if we lose Joe Scho, here’s my late round replacement:

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

This is kind of smart by the Broncos if you don’t want anything to leak.

Fangio the trend-setter.

Fangio, Broncos’ general manager John Elway, top personnel assistant Matt Russell and several other personnel staff and scouts will attend the full week of the Combine from Monday (February 24) through Sunday (March 1).

A Broncos videographer will record the 15-minute formal interviews with up to 45 college prospects and send them to the appropriate assistant coaches back home. The workouts can also be downloaded onto computers.

The Broncos’ assistant coaches won’t have a presence at the nightly line of informal interviews with prospects at the players’ hotel. But with the NFL increasingly turning the combine from a prospect scouting service to a primetime, fan-filled event, Fangio believes his assistants can be more productive working from the team’s UCHealth Training Center headquarters.

The team says this is not a cost-cutting measure. Elway is the football operations cost-cutter and it was Fangio’s idea. Elway listened to his coach, realized the reasoning was sound, and approved the move. Or non-move.

At the same time, Fangio has established a team rule that his assistants can only watch tape of the rookie prospects – no pro players – during Combine week.

The Broncos currently have nine draft picks – seven within the first four rounds – and are expected to be awarded two or three additional compensatory picks next month.

• Like 1

Tidbit i stumbled upon on thedraftnetwork.com "As for offensive guard, Louisiana's Robert Hunt will have a Will Hernandez-type rise the closer we get to April. He buries defensive lineman with his power in the run game and his anchor in pass protection is eye-opening. He is quicker than people give him credit for, as his skill set is suited well for both power and zone blocking teams. Hunt is the best guard prospect in this draft for my money"

and "if we're drafting Josh Jones on tools, I prefer players like Auburn's Prince Tega Wanogho or South Carolina State's Alex Taylor. Critically, not only do these players have better raw physical abilities, but they're also underdeveloped technique-wise relative to the class of the position — neither has played offensive tackle for very long. Jones is a four-year starter at the position and started through high school as well. If he was going to cash in on the promise his tools illustrates, I think we would have seen more development by now."

Edited by Horseunit
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Tidbit i stumbled upon on thedraftnetwork.com "As for offensive guard, Louisiana's Robert Hunt will have a Will Hernandez-type rise the closer we get to April. He buries defensive lineman with his power in the run game and his anchor in pass protection is eye-opening. He is quicker than people give him credit for, as his skill set is suited well for both power and zone blocking teams. Hunt is the best guard prospect in this draft for my money"

giphy.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b61f75ff42936e250ca94722a2bcbeb78937bc47&rid=giphy.gif

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Horseunit said:

and "if we're drafting Josh Jones on tools, I prefer players like Auburn's Prince Tega Wanogho or South Carolina State's Alex Taylor. Critically, not only do these players have better raw physical abilities, but they're also underdeveloped technique-wise relative to the class of the position — neither has played offensive tackle for very long. Jones is a four-year starter at the position and started through high school as well. If he was going to cash in on the promise his tools illustrates, I think we would have seen more development by now."

Jones was a huge standout against the best defensive players in the country.

9 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Jones was a huge standout against the best defensive players in the country.

I think this quote was taken from an article with a would you rather format. Would you rather draft Josh Jones in the middle of round 1 or take a chance on Wanogho/Taylor in a later round.  The author was basically saying it's better value to try with one of the later round guys.  From all accounts Jones did well at the senior bowl, but like many have stated on here the edge rusher class is not dominant this year without many standout players so hard to judge how well Jones will do in the pros based off of senior bowl film imo.

13 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

I think this quote was taken from an article with a would you rather format. Would you rather draft Josh Jones in the middle of round 1 or take a chance on Wanogho/Taylor in a later round.  The author was basically saying it's better value to try with one of the later round guys.  From all accounts Jones did well at the senior bowl, but like many have stated on here the edge rusher class is not dominant this year without many standout players so hard to judge how well Jones will do in the pros based off of senior bowl film imo.

Excellent point  but even after that with more film study he seems to be going up the boards.

Myself I see him as a better value in the second round.

But I would not have drafted Joe thomas 4th overall so I do not think much of my offensive lineman spotting skills .

Anyways here is to hoping they get it right

1. Bengals - Burrow

2. Redskins - Young

3. Lions - Okudah

4. Giants - Thomas

5. Dolphins - Tua

6. Chargers - Herbert (could see them trade up for Tua)

7. Panthers - Simmons

8. Cardinals - Willis Jr.

9. Jaguars - Brown

Who you got? For me, it’s Bechton. He will interview well and test well. He’s a leader and fits a need.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

Josh Jones is a powerful stiff head to toe linear movement blocker.

He has to play in a straight ahead and straight back power or gap scheme.

His hip inflexibility and stiff ankles make his change of direction or lateral agility abysmal.

He's not at all what we need.

But Shon Coleman was one of the stiffest ankles and lower body power playing Tackles in recent memory so maybe that's Berry and Co's blindspot.

I don't get the love for Alex Taylor at all. He plays with some of the worst leverage.

I have a feeling Robert Hunt, Netane Muti, and even Jack Driscoll all go before our 2nd round pick.

Therefore, we likely cant just sit back and wait until the 2nd round to address OLine.

Wills wont be there at 10. Therefore, the most optimal pairing that we could realistically get is likely Guard Tristan Wirfs at 10 then come back and get Tackle Robert Hunt (I still see him as a move Tackle not just a Guard) via trade up a few spots in the second.

Or if Callahan thinks he get get Mekhi Becton to keep his weight down and increase his flexibility for a ZBS scheme. Though I honestly think Davd Gettleman is all in on Becton at 4.

Edited by Mind Character

46 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

1. Bengals - Burrow

2. Redskins - Young

3. Lions - Okudah

4. Giants - Thomas

5. Dolphins - Tua

6. Chargers - Herbert (could see them trade up for Tua)

7. Panthers - Simmons

8. Cardinals - Willis Jr.

9. Jaguars - Brown

Who you got? For me, it’s Bechton. He will interview well and test well. He’s a leader and fits a need.

I actually think Becton is a good fit for the offense we’re gonna run with his athletic abilities, I’m also intrigued to see what Callahan can do with all those impressive raw tools

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Or if Callahan thinks he get get Mekhi Becton to keep his weight down and increase his flexibility for a ZBS scheme. Though I honestly think Davd Gettleman is all in on Becton at 4.

I agree.

Giants are weird man. I could see them drafting Becton or somebody way off the radar.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I agree.

Giants are weird man. I could see them drafting Becton or somebody way off the radar.

Indeed.

I do think Becton size and strength-wise is the perfect "Hog Molly" in Dave Gettleman's wildest "Hog Molly" fantasies.

I could also see the Giants going Derrick Brown and to finish off an impressive 34-front starting line-up of DE Leonard Williams // NT Derrick Brown // DE Dexter Lawrence.

The Giants really hold the keys for the chain of events that will effect which players are available at 10 for us.

In the end, I can't see Gettleman passing on elite big men for a Wide Receiver or even Hybrid-LB, but that top 10 isn't going to be a wild ride.

Edited by Mind Character