Reggie draft ability? Overall as a GM?

Humble_Beast

16 minutes ago, Nodisrespect said:

And I'm pretty sure RM was a part of Aaron Rodgers pick too lol you know the one we're we picked Fabian Washington, I've seen too many obvious picks passed. ?

And Al Davis was horrible at drafting in his old age.

2 minutes ago, Nodisrespect said:

I get what you're saying, bro I do.

But he had just signed Matt Schaub and Flynn was still on roster making good money. Other GMs might not have swallowed their pride on failed signings in the grand scheme he could have justified passing Carr, there were other picks with second round grades. Carr had a huge red flag with happy feet, it definitely wasn't guaranteed that he would be great, let's not act like Carr was a perfect prospect out of college and Downing deserves some credit along with Musgrave for protecting him when he was raw.

I get what you are saying and RM being able to admit mistakes is part of what makes him good.  If you go back and watch the video from when he was drafted the first thing Rich Eisen says is "as expected".  Every analyst knew it was Carr as soon as we were on the clock.

Wondered if anybody would use the "lucky that Carr dropped' line. 

As has been said Reggie has done a good job turning around this roster and salary cap. Could he do better in the drafts, sure but everyone wishes they had hindsight. 

I wouldn't want anyone else looking after the roster.  

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

As has been said Reggie has done a good job turning around this roster and salary cap. Could he do better in the drafts, sure but everyone wishes they had hindsight. 

Not saying lucky because if he had to make a choice maybe he still chooses Carr but the fact is that the choice was made for him because Carr was the last remaining QB that should have gone in the that spot.  There were a lot of people who wanted to take Manziel and Bridgewater.  I personally had Bridgewater ahead of Carr but when he went to the Vikings I was hoping that Carr fell to us. I was exstremly happy when we drafted Gabe also.  

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Imo that line is warranted given his otherwise AWFUL handling of the qb position. 

Matt Flynn, Tyler Wilson, Matt Schaub, Connor Cook, EJ Manuel, etc

^^^

Honestly, thats about average for a team that doesn't already have a franchise QB, Carr wasn't some hotshot blue Chip QB, he was a second round player with a second round grade who's value was hedged by having a free agent QB on the roster, not many thought Carr was a no Brainer at the time, and only people who dislike McKenzie think he was now. 

It's not about Carr it's about RMs commitment to find us a QB we drafted Tyler Wilson, Connor Cook and Derek Carr. Sure you have to be part lucky to find a Qb, but HE DID IT!!! 

What is the point in minimizing RM's success and using hyperbole to focus on his failings the team just went 12- 4 and everyone is freaking out because we don't have a great defense to go along with a dynamic offense oh poor Raider fans we have it so rough, why can't the Raiders just blow out other NFL teams so I don't have to be stressed out while they make the playoffs and contend for the division.?

1 hour ago, Nodisrespect said:

^^^

Honestly, thats about average for a team that doesn't already have a franchise QB, Carr wasn't some hotshot blue Chip QB, he was a second round player with a second round grade who's value was hedged by having a free agent QB on the roster, not many thought Carr was a no Brainer at the time, and only people who dislike McKenzie think he was now. 

It's not about Carr it's about RMs commitment to find us a QB we drafted Tyler Wilson, Connor Cook and Derek Carr. Sure you have to be part lucky to find a Qb, but HE DID IT!!! 

What is the point in minimizing RM's success and using hyperbole to focus on his failings the team just went 12- 4 and everyone is freaking out because we don't have a great defense to go along with a dynamic offense oh poor Raider fans we have it so rough, why can't the Raiders just blow out other NFL teams so I don't have to be stressed out while they make the playoffs and contend for the division.?

We are not freaking out but some of us realize that our record had a lot to do with our turnover differential.  This can vary substantially from season to season.  Our offense does not give the ball away often but I do not want to rely on this defense to have 30 takeaways again.  Also many who are criticizing RM are doing it because our issues on defense are pretty clear and they still did very little to fix them.  I am hoping I am wrong but it does not look good for some parts of this defense.

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We are not freaking out but some of us realize that our record had a lot to do with our turnover differential.  This can vary substantially from season to season.  Our offense does not give the ball away often but I do not want to rely on this defense to have 30 takeaways again.  Also many who are criticizing RM are doing it because our issues on defense are pretty clear and they still did very little to fix them.  I am hoping I am wrong but it does not look good for some parts of this defense.

Yes, and the turnover differential is a dircet result of the things that Reggie has done. More than 2/3 of those turnover have come from Mack, Nelson and Irvin. All guys that Reggie brought in. To say that it could vary is an insult to these guys that have proven over multi seasons that they can deliver the ball in key situations.

Our major issue last year was the secondary and Reggie went out and drafted 2 of the top secondary players on the board. The ILB position was a need but not the main issue for the defense. We don't have the luxury anymore of spending big in free agency and only have a few blue chip draft picks. Only so much can be done at one time. Plus the team did address the position, they just didn't do it in a way the fans wanted so of course their will be complaining.

I'm just gonna enjoy this ride with the reality in the forefront of my mind that this team's goals are longterm, no gm is perfect in the draft or always lucky in terms of injuries and this defense is a young group that has to learn to walk before we expect them to run. 

I think OP is a bit harsh because if every team could get 2-3 good starters out of each draft, all NFL teams would be playoff caliber right now. Mckenzie has made some bad picks for me personally, like passing up on A'Shawn Robinson and others for Jihad Ward, etc. etc. But every GM makes "questionable" picks and he's pulled a lot of late round gems like Carrie, Washington, Cory James, etc. I think that Hester and Luani are gonna be good players and he got them in the 7th. Vanderdoes might have been a steal and you can't fault his first 2 picks at all. His drafting has also gotten better as his tenure has continued at least compared to 2012-13. The coaching staffs also have to develop the guys he takes. That's on them, not him.

If some of his more "questionable" guys turn it around, e.g. Ward, which is certainly not out of the question, I don't think we've had any "bad" drafts for quite a while.

9 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yes, and the turnover differential is a dircet result of the things that Reggie has done. More than 2/3 of those turnover have come from Mack, Nelson and Irvin. All guys that Reggie brought in. To say that it could vary is an insult to these guys that have proven over multi seasons that they can deliver the ball in key situations.

Our major issue last year was the secondary and Reggie went out and drafted 2 of the top secondary players on the board. The ILB position was a need but not the main issue for the defense. We don't have the luxury anymore of spending big in free agency and only have a few blue chip draft picks. Only so much can be done at one time. Plus the team did address the position, they just didn't do it in a way the fans wanted so of course their will be complaining.

I'm just gonna enjoy this ride with the reality in the forefront of my mind that this team's goals are longterm, no gm is perfect in the draft or always lucky in terms of injuries and this defense is a young group that has to learn to walk before we expect them to run. 

We were last in sacks (25) but still had 16 interceptions.  That is not sustainable.

Yes our major issue last year was secondary but this is a fluid situation.  We had Riley and Smith as LBs and I know they were not world beaters but compared to what we have this year is pathetic.  Now our seasoned vet in the LBs is Cory James.  It is obvious that we have the worst LB crew in the NFL.  Irvin is very good but I count him as part of the Dline more than a LB.  James, Lee, Morrow, and Adams is a young unproven group that will be exposed over and over again.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

We were last in sacks (25) but still had 16 interceptions.  That is not sustainable.

Yes our major issue last year was secondary but this is a fluid situation.  We had Riley and Smith as LBs and I know they were not world beaters but compared to what we have this year is pathetic.  Now our seasoned vet in the LBs is Cory James.  It is obvious that we have the worst LB crew in the NFL.  Irvin is very good but I count him as part of the Dline more than a LB.  James, Lee, Morrow, and Adams is a young unproven group that will be exposed over and over again.

How is that not sustainable? Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean we don't have the right mix to duplicate it. It's not Ideal is the phrase you are looking for. The INTs came as a result of the pressures we put the QB under. Irvin and Mack are only getting better and we are counting on improved penetration from Edwards and Vanderdoes as the season progresses so hopefully that will open things up even more. It is also a result of the play of Amerson and Nelson, who were 10th and 25th respectively in passes defensed. Adding talent to the secondary (Conley and Obi) and changing the way our LBs play and the kind of backers we deploy (faster and lighter guys meant to cover more ground in pass coverage) should help with overall team speed and coverage over the middle. But like I have said many times, it's gonna take time for everyone to be in sync and conditioned properly. But you can see where the team has made strides to address the issues of last year and the road map for the future.

We should have a pretty good "contender window" with many of our core player being young, but I hope Reggie will be aggressive enough to capitalize and make the most of each season moving forward. Coming from the Green Bay mold, it would likely be safe to say that he has a conservative approach. 

Should be pretty fun to see how it plays out :)

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

How is that not sustainable? Just because it doesn't happen often doesn't mean we don't have the right mix to duplicate it. It's not Ideal is the phrase you are looking for. The INTs came as a result of the pressures we put the QB under. Irvin and Mack are only getting better and we are counting on improved penetration from Edwards and Vanderdoes as the season progresses so hopefully that will open things up even more. It is also a result of the play of Amerson and Nelson, who were 10th and 25th respectively in passes defensed. Adding talent to the secondary (Conley and Obi) and changing the way our LBs play and the kind of backers we deploy (faster and lighter guys meant to cover more ground in pass coverage) should help with overall team speed and coverage over the middle. But like I have said many times, it's gonna take time for everyone to be in sync and conditioned properly. But you can see where the team has made strides to address the issues of last year and the road map for the future.

You really need to take the Raider shades off and try to see things for the way they are.  No matter what evidence you are given you just blow it off and somehow the Raiders are fine.  We are not in certain areas and it is obvious. I agree with you on some matters and you are an intelligent poster but when you deny obvious areas of concern you lose some credibility.  We need an average defense to make a Super Bowl run but we do not have one if we can not maintain the turnover differential.  I stated it in another thread but if you give us an average TO Diff our defense is ranked in the bottom 5-7 in points and yards.  You can give your opinion but I am looking over the stats and how changes effect the overall outcome of our games.  12-4 can quickly turn into 8-8.

Archived