Should the NFL step in AB/Patriots

Humble_Beast

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would we have bothered drafting a WR with our first pick if we knew we were getting Brown later?

I'll be a Steelers fan till I die but we got what we deserved in the long run. We approached Brown with the hubris of a franchise and said "We don't trade you to a rival" while simultaneously arguing we were going to be competitors. Clearly they didn't believe that if they felt trading Brown to a rival didn't make them a competitor. Steelers could have gotten a 1st and added more defensive talent. Instead they got some late picks and AB STILL got to go where he wanted...

Just now, BlaqOptic said:

I'll be a Steelers fan till I die but we got what we deserved in the long run. We approached Brown with the hubris of a franchise and said "We don't trade you to a rival" while simultaneously arguing we were going to be competitors. Clearly they didn't believe that if they felt trading Brown to a rival didn't make them a competitor. Steelers could have gotten a 1st and added more defensive talent. Instead they got some late picks and AB STILL got to go where he wanted...

Possibly, but then...imagine if you DID trade AB to us. The fan base would surely have been out with pitchforks? I could just see "we traded our most talented player to our biggest rivals and they're going to the superbowl" etc. 

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Possibly, but then...imagine if you DID trade AB to us. The fan base would surely have been out with pitchforks? I could just see "we traded our most talented player to our biggest rivals and they're going to the superbowl" etc. 

Not gonna lie, I know I'm in the minority but I've held this sentiment the whole time of trade him to New England IF you really think you're a contender. Steelers knew they weren't a contender which is why they were fine trading him to Buffalo or Oakland so he could mire in mediocrity as well. All this "Ra Ra Sis Boom Ba" BS coming out of our locker room is just that. You can have all the chemistry in the world but you need talent too. Could've gotten more talent with an additional  1st round pick.

Question -

Say on Saturday OAK traded him to SEA - subject to passing a physical and signing a contract - but for whatever reason, that contract never gets finalized. 

Does he revert back to being with OAK (?) and if this process extends beyond the beginning of the OAK season - would (or could) that put OAK back on the hook for the guaranteed money?

Pats also performed secret destabilizing surgery on Jimmy G's knee whilst he slept, which is why they were ok trading him. 

I can buy AB planning it (just about), but NE being dragged into this just for acquiring a talented player (which I'm against) - just smacks of the usual desperate scratching around for something to delegitimize how good they are. Again.

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He probably thought he could get the guaranteed money and get cut right after Week 1. He never bought a house in the Bay Area.

Yes he did. He bought the house on Hard Knocks and the one he celebrates in when he gets cut, that house in Alamo on April 15th. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26-N-Jackson-Way-Alamo-CA-94507/18426033_zpid/

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Pats also performed secret destabilizing surgery on Jimmy G's knee whilst he slept, which is why they were ok trading him. 

I can buy AB planning it (just about), but NE being dragged into this just for acquiring a talented player (which I'm against) - just smacks of the usual desperate scratching around for something to delegitimize how good they are. Again.

So, I don't think there's some big conspiracy involving NE or anything, but I absolutely think it's possible that Rosenhaus or Brown spoke to the Pats while he was a Raider. A conspiracy is a stretch, but it wouldn't be anything new or isolated if they tampered.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So, I don't think there's some big conspiracy involving NE or anything, but I absolutely think it's possible that Rosenhaus or Brown spoke to the Pats while he was a Raider. A conspiracy is a stretch, but it wouldn't be anything new or isolated if they tampered.

Sensible. I saw you posted in this thread and hoped you gave your opinion on this.

So, where is the line here? There's surely nothing wrong with a team seeing what's going on, making plans (other teams would have done this) and then approaching the player when the time is right? They're guilty of nothing but being opportunistic. Does the issue come IF they were in contact with AB during this whole meltdown? If so, are we sure that AB wouldn't have been teasing this somehow on SocMed? I don't trust him to be this clever, and patient.

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sensible. I saw you posted in this thread and hoped you gave your opinion on this.

So, where is the line here? There's surely nothing wrong with a team seeing what's going on, making plans (other teams would have done this) and then approaching the player when the time is right? They're guilty of nothing but being opportunistic. Does the issue come IF they were in contact with AB during this whole meltdown? If so, are we sure that AB wouldn't have been teasing this somehow on SocMed? I don't trust him to be this clever, and patient.

All it would take to be against NFL rules is any contact between the Pats or a Pats representative and Brown while he was on the Raiders roster. All it would need to be is a text or a call prior to him actually being cut. If that contact happened, then they would be guilty of more than opportunism. And that's why people keep pointing to the fact that the Pats were after him when he was on the trade block. They were talking to him at one point when it was allowed, and then wound up with him months later, it just seems fairly unlikely that they straight cut off contact for the entire in between.. It's like when the Chiefs got hit with tampering in regards to Maclin. It seemed a little too quick and coincidental, and it was.

Like I said previously, if I were Oakland, I'd request an investigation for tampering. Maybe nothing would come with it, but I think there's enough there circumstantially that they should ask the league to look into it.

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It is tampering if they were planning this during his time with the raiders but I think the two parties likely had talks earlier on when he was with the steelers and AB new the interest was still there. I don't see anything wrong with what  AB or the patriots did.

It's amazing how little people actually think about this.

The Patriots were not the only team with a ready made offer for Brown. We've all known for days it was very possible Brown's time with Oakland was over, so the Patriots (and other teams) prepared and came up with offers in case Brown was released. Brown is, at worst, a top 5 WR in the NFL. He wasn't going to be a free agent for long. New England was interested, Brown was interested, so a deal happened fast. Did you expect this to take weeks?

If any team was interested and wasn't prepared for his release, then that's their own fault.

Archived