NFL admits to botched call in Saints Texans game

Dome

8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

So what's the solution? Hire 1 person solely in charge of clock runoffs for every game who couldn't possibly make a mistake? 

Well, as close as they can to that, yes. Maybe hire a few people to all look at it, more eyes on it.

8 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

The money in the industry has no bearing. The NFL isn't going to become more popular by shelling out money to make sure a once every 4 year situation doesn't happen. 

If the NFL was trying to better their product, they have the means both financially and practically to make sure the bozos on the field can't mess everything up. Well, that's hyperbole, but you get what I mean.

The idea that we can't make it perfect so we shouldn't try to make it better just doesn't fly with me.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dome said:

The idea that we can't make it perfect so we shouldn't try to make it better just doesn't fly with me.

Yes but the other end of the spectrum is that we don't need change after every mistake. I literally think people would have wanted roughing the kicker reviewable had the Saints not won, especially if they aren't graded well to begin with.

If there is a practical way to fix these types of errors then go for it. It seems like it was just incompetence. I'm sure this type of error will cost the refs later in getting marquee games. 

Edited by LeotheLion

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Yes but the other end of the spectrum is that we don't need change after every mistake.

What would the downside be  (for the consumer) of hiring an extra person who knows clock rules like the back of their hand?

I'm not asking for changes after every mistake, just ones that really shouldn't be happening.

I literally think people would have wanted roughing the kicker reviewable had the Saints not won, especially if they aren't graded well to begin with.

Ok, well I think the RTK call was fine.

If there is a practical way to fix these types of errors then go for it.

I think at least a couple people already have made suggestions that I'd agree are practical.

It seems like it was just incompetence.

The NFL should make sure there are failsafes to prevent incompetent refs from hurting the integrity of football games, especially when it's as easy as hiring a game clock/rules expert to oversee a game so the refs have a safety net. They got money, cough it up.

I'm sure this type of error will cost the refs later in getting marquee games. 

I'm sure. But I think they can do more.

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

What would the downside be  (for the consumer) of hiring an extra person who knows clock rules like the back of their hand? 

None other than potential to prolong the game in non crucial spots to add or subtract a few seconds. But I think it's naive to think this will fix all clock issues and then we'd have the inevitable complaints about keeping the refs accountable after the next error. 

3 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

None other than potential to prolong the game in non crucial spots to add or subtract a few seconds. But I think it's naive to think this will fix all clock issues and then we'd have the inevitable complaints about keeping the refs accountable after the next error. 

41 minutes ago, Dome said:

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

It seems like you want perfection though... a competent crew gets this correct. If Payton/NO would have better known the rule/interpretation they'd presumably have been able to argue the point and get the call on the field correct. There comes a time when chasing perfection isn't worth it. I'm not saying that this is the line for that but it seems like adding 1 person who is solely in-charge of clock run-offs on the off-chance that the refs screw up seems like an overkill. It's also not my money so I don't really care.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

So what's the solution? Hire 1 person solely in charge of clock runoffs for every game who couldn't possibly make a mistake? 

The money in the industry has no bearing. The NFL isn't going to become more popular by shelling out money to make sure a once every 4 year situation doesn't happen. 

Yes, they’ll wait til it screws up a postseason game.

I wasn't fully paying attention, but I'm aware of the rules and the 10 second run off - I was also aware that it's 10 seconds from the time that the runner was ruled down. I thought the time was off, but again, I wasn't fully paying attention.

Point is - someone easily could have explained all this to the official, but I don't think they did. I'd be interested to hear what Brees and Payton were pleading with the official - what Payton should have done was use him timeout, gone to the official, and calmly explained that Thomas was down with "x" number of seconds left and that the run off occur from that point. So I put this one more on Payton.

• Like 1